What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter '13/'14

bingstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen quite a few of those around but passed since well, they are still pretty common around here. How is it and what "house profile" does it taste like?

It has an incredible nose and a very soft mouth feel. Gotta give it a few days to see what it turns into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Houston is one that I have been interested in. I used to see it occasionally but not for a while now.

Tonight has been a wheater night....first, Larceny. Then, WL12. Still prefer WL12.

Back to the Dickel 9/103.

This one confounds me. Sometimes the aftertaste is the best thing in the world and lingers on forever, and sometimes it tastes odd. I particularly notice the 'odd' after having other whiskeys beforehand. For instance, if I have any HH like I have been lately, I can forget about enjoying any Dickel 9 for the rest of the day. I guess this is just a palate thing for me.

Just loving this pour of 2013 OFBB at the end of an extremely busy day. As I look back at the year in whiskey just past, this bourbon is certainly one of the very brightest spots. Outstanding whiskey.

Joe, has it stayed consistent for you since you opened the bottle?

My bottle started off smelling like glue, or nail polish remover. A couple weeks later it was magnificent from nose to finish, I couldn't get enough. A few weeks after that, it's a little strange on the nose again and the finish is super bitter. I just don't get it.

Steve

My bottle started off smelling like glue, or nail polish remover. A couple weeks later it was magnificent from nose to finish, I couldn't get enough. A few weeks after that, it's a little strange on the nose again and the finish is super bitter. I just don't get it.

Steve

Steve,

I finished a bottle of this recently and I drank mostly only it from the first pour out of the bottle until it was empty. From my experience, it started out great and stayed that way throughout. It might actually have gotten a little better with a little airtime but the bottle didn't last very long for any significant change.

I seem to be enjoying everything lately. Even the three I vowed to 'get rid of' as the lessers of my stash, I have completely enjoyed this week (Dickel 12, Ezra 7, HH BIB gold). I just had several drinks of HH gold and completely enjoyed it.

2014 may be a great year!

Steve

Hi Steve. Can't say I had that type of nose upon opening this bottle. It's been beautiful since I pulled the cork. I think that some whiskies can show an overly alcohol note early, particularly upon opening, though. For me, this usually wafts out quickly with a swirl and a minute or two, and the whiskey stays pretty constant through the rest of the bottle.

Thanks Joe and H. In the spirit of this thread, I'll give it another go later tonight to see if it's still vexing me. (Currently drinking Whistle Pig, but this is the wrong thread for that one).

Went to Delilah's on a frigid Chicago night to warm up a bit. WTR101 new bottle, Willett 10 yr (barrel 325 i think), WTKS, WLW '05, Whiskey Jewbilee 15 yr, and Delilah's 15. Thanks Brett!

Some ECBP tonight 133.2 is the first pour so taking my time first then do a SBS with 137 later on.

First pour very good - bold, flavorful and chewy. The heat is well under control, that is with some water added already.

gyry4are.jpg

Nice, I've heard the 66.6% batch is the best yet. I am just about to finish my second bottle of the 137 and am starting to get nervous so hopefully I can find another one.

I am sipping a little of the EH Taylor Small Batch after a rough night at work tonight. My initial feelings stand about it being hot and sort of raw, I plan to think more about it later and post in the BOTM thread. Right now I am just enjoying the relaxation.

Been having a couple pours of Stagg jr the past couple nights. Emptied the bottle tonight. It is enjoyable. I'm glad I have a couple more bottles.

I got some of those whiskey discs that came in the Knob Creek gift sets this year. Giving them a test drive with a pour of a single barrel selection of BT.

I think my Four Roses Small Batch bottle is gonna get a major dent while watching my Mizzou Tigers beat Oklahoma State.

-- Ravensfire

Last pour for the next few weeks (@#$%*%& medications!!), so decided to go with some FRSB OESV from our local store. Something about 12 yr FR is just magical :yum:

Working through samples of the originals Michters, not the "who knows" stuff.. A 1950s old crow bib and a 1960s old Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my Four Roses Small Batch bottle is gonna get a major dent while watching my Mizzou Tigers beat Oklahoma State.

-- Ravensfire

I'm right behind you, but sipping on FR1B. Go MIzzou!

ECBP 133.2, very yummy!

It is, isn't it... A great whiskey.

Drinking some ETL 15 Year and OFBB '13. Can't complain. I find the OFBB opens up nicely with a bit of water.

It is, isn't it... A great whiskey.

Drinking some ETL 15 Year and OFBB '13. Can't complain. I find the OFBB opens up nicely with a bit of water.

Something about that 133.2. It kind of stay with you like you are drinking it a couple of minutes after you swallow it because it is so chewy and full flavor. The nose is really nice as well.

Drinking some OFBB 13. Still trying to get to know it.

Did a blind SBS of BT Mashbill #1. OC10, ER10, BT, CEHT SmB. My wife did the pours. I was able to correctly identify each pour. My selections were ER10>CEHT SmB>OC10>BT. I should point out that the ER10 (Westport) and BT (Kahn's) were both store selections. I also have Stagg Jr which is the same mashbill but was not included in the tasting. I also have Crown selections (ER10 and BT) which I will try another time.

What I found interesting is that after the SBS, I opted for some blends. First, BT/Stagg Jr. 2:1 (106 proof) and then BT/Stagg 1:1 (116 proof). The latter was awesome! BT between 106 and 116 is really good!

ECBP 133.2, very yummy!

On my second pour today.

Hugh, how would you compare the 133.2 with the first two batches?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!