What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

RHF doesn't move around here, one place has marked it down to $42.50 and it's still collecting dust. Surprising what brands take off and what doesn't.

Michigan's state minimum is bizarrely high for RHF. Every store I know has dust collecting on their bottles.

I'd probably add it to my purchases every now and again if it were 42.50

RHF would be a good alternative to Blanton's and ETL at around $40. I see it between $45 and $50 in the Indy area. Of course, ETL would be the preferred option when available.

I'd probably add it to my purchases every now and again if it were 42.50

Yes I know, I keep telling myself to get one but can't shake the idea I'm paying $28 for whisky and the rest for an otherwise useless bottle.

But, it is a pretty bottle. I was looking at Pendleton 1910 the other day and noticed it has a really cool bottle. I still passed.

But, it is a pretty bottle. I was looking at Pendleton 1910 the other day and noticed it has a really cool bottle. I still passed.

Yes I know, I keep telling myself to get one but can't shake the idea I'm paying $28 for whisky and the rest for an otherwise useless bottle.

Passed on several EC 21 at $165.00, Several PHC promise of hope at $99, Jefferson 25 bourbon at $160, and several OFBB at $46.

I passed up several old 1889 royal bottles with 12yr age statements. Has anyone had this? It was the first time i can remember seeing it. The bottles looked very old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have. 1889 is an old brand currently owned by Heaven Hill. At one time 1889 was 8 years old then they came out with 1889 Royal at 12 years old. I can't say it's significantly different from other 10-12 year old HH expressions but certainly worth a try, I would buy it again.

Interestingly, 1889 Royal 12 year started disappearing from the shelves about the same time Elijah Craig 12 year old started taking off.

Interesting. When i am back towards that store i will have to pick up a bottle and see what its like. Thank y'all for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappy 15 for $1000

Stagg Jr. for $150 and $100

And not today but a month ago:

BTAC, various, for $600 each.

These are from two "well regarded" NY area stores that a prominent whiskey magazine and several blogs recommend.

My (former) neighborhood store, noted above, just posted their incredible "sale" on the BTACs above: GT Stagg and WL Weller:

$599.99

On Sale

$399.99

Funniest thing I have seen in weeks.

This sale, and the worst prices I saw, were in Westchester and a little farther north. The prices in the city that I saw were bad, but the worst by far were in the suburbs.

there are certain industries, other than bourbon I am describing, that will stop selling their products to a retailer if that retailer then sells that product at more (or sometimes even less than) than the suggested retail price. Maybe it is time for the distilleries to start doing that.

there are certain industries, other than bourbon I am describing, that will stop selling their products to a retailer if that retailer then sells that product at more (or sometimes even less than) than the suggested retail price. Maybe it is time for the distilleries to start doing that.

It would be nice, and I’m unsure why they do not do this now (but I’m sure there is a reason). I mean it seems like it’s lose/lose for them. No additional revenue and it pisses people off in all sorts of ways. I would think just the appearance of a distillery trying to reign in the mess would do wonders for their PR amongst customers.

They sell to distributors not retailers, but it's definitely the retailers that are jacking the prices up so high.

They sell to distributors not retailers, but it's definitely the retailers that are jacking the prices up so high.

Right.

Because of the three tiered system, it is very difficult for a distiller to control what a retailer does price-wise.

Do distributors have any reason to care what retail does i wonder? I mean perhaps if Southern Distribution (ours around here) got told hey no more golden eggs for you, until you get all your retailers in line.

But its not just about the PVW and BTAC. I mean RHF = $125 (only saw one place with this but still) Stagg Jr. = $175 FRSB = $70. At some point your trying to take advantage of people and there should be something that can be done about it.

Edited by BonVivant84

Joe is correct. Also, I had a recent discussion with people from one of the distilleries, and they are very conscious of avoiding the impression that they are setting mandatory prices at retail, which I imagine is because at least some state liquor authorities consider price-setting to be an identifying feature of retailing activity. Since the three tier system requires producer/distiller - distributor - retailer levels, that would raise compliance issues.

Edit: Distributors care about their relationship with the distillers because the distillers could, in theory, use a different distributor. And Distributors can put some pressure on retailers, but they are subject to pressure the other way through the state liquor authorities to send allocations to everyone, which happened in 2013 in NY.

Edited by danz

Couldn't they sell the entire annual Pappy production at the BT gift shop?

But wouldn't they need a secure off site location Squire? :rolleyes:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!