What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on some Eagle Rare 10 Year. Been forever since I've seen it on shelves out here, and I didn't really want it in the first place, but all this disappearing age statement nonsense lately did make me think twice about it. But then I decided that I'm just gonna drink and buy what I like/want and when it disappears I'll find something else I like. I refuse to hoard simply for the sake of doing so, and I don't like ER10 enough to want any more than a single bottle of it at any given time.

Passed on the age stated 8yo Ridgemont in 750 and handle. So it is still around for the moment. Also a Larceny handle with rebate tag attached making it about $19.

post-8493-14489820403865_thumb.jpg

Not bourbon exactly but also passed on a JD Sinatra do-dad for about $160. No thanks! Think I will save it to blow on a Redbreast 21 if I ever see one!

post-8493-14489820404101_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820403865_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820404101_thumb.jpg

Are those rebates still good? I picked up a handle of Larceny last summer as I thought the rebate period was about to expired (though I still had 3/4 of a 750 in the cabinet - $20 for a handle was too good to pass up).

New round of rebates Gary. :grin: Only one per household this time around. Last round was either one for a handle, or two liters or 750's.

Also a Larceny handle with rebate tag attached making it about $19.

How much is a handle in GA, T? I just bought one here in Illinois for $29.99, making it $9.99 after the rebate. I usually don't buy handles, but I didn't hesitate on this one.

Kinda weird. A 750 here is $19.99. With the $10.00 rebate, that makes it $9.99. A handle here is $29.99, making it $9.99 after the $20.00 rebate. :crazy: No brainer to me.

FWIW, I like the Larceny. It appears that my BIL, FIL, and my son might be buying handles in the near future too. :grin:

I passed on a Bakers for $37. Anyone think this is worth a buy? Im not a huge fan of most of the Beam family line Hayden or KC. Drinkable but not great. I think Id rather buy another OFBB13 for a whopping $3 more

Its been a long time since I've had Baker's, but I keep meaning to go back and give it another shot. Did Baker's recently change its label? The last one I saw was different, but there is no telling how long it had been on that shelf.

Booker's was my first barrel proofer, and one of my early favorites. I keep passing it up in favor of trendier picks, but I really need to pick up a bottle or two.

Are those rebates still good? I picked up a handle of Larceny last summer as I thought the rebate period was about to expired (though I still had 3/4 of a 750 in the cabinet - $20 for a handle was too good to pass up).

as stated, its a new round of rebates, I looked at the tags on the bottles last week.

my question is......if you did the rebate last year, will they still honor it for the second round, or do they see that as violating the one-per-household rule. I'd buy one with the rebate, but probably not without it

Okay, not bourbon, but I saw my first couple of JD Sinatra Selects. $155 one place, $170 at another. Interesting packaging, and I see it's 90 proof. Would be interested in trying it, but not at that price. Also passed on some Balcones, a Brimstone and one other I'm not recalling at this very moment. Again, I'm interested, but the reviews I've read have been all over the board, and I'm not going to pop for premium prices without a better sense of whether I'd even like the stuff.

Has anyone even tried the Sinatra select stuff? Pricing is way out of whack in my opinion. Don't know how a company that sells 20 dollar whiskey can think they can get away with charging almost 200 for a special bottling.

Okay, not bourbon, but I saw my first couple of JD Sinatra Selects. $155 one place, $170 at another. Interesting packaging, and I see it's 90 proof. Would be interested in trying it, but not at that price. Also passed on some Balcones, a Brimstone and one other I'm not recalling at this very moment. Again, I'm interested, but the reviews I've read have been all over the board, and I'm not going to pop for premium prices without a better sense of whether I'd even like the stuff.

Has anyone even tried the Sinatra select stuff? Pricing is way out of whack in my opinion. Don't know how a company that sells 20 dollar whiskey can think they can get away with charging almost 200 for a special bottling.

Not familiar with Michters????

Had an odd experience at a store in Hemet, Ca. Went in and picked up a bottle of Glengoyne 17 year for 50 bucks, which is decent. As I was checking out, I asked the store owner if they had some "fancier" stuff. He goes...what? Like pappy...we have it but its all locked up. I was like...o...how much are you charging? He goes 10 year, $400, 12 year $600, 15 year $1000 etc etc, GTS $600. The way he was saying the prices, it sounded like he was just making them up off the top of his head. I told him that is more than 10 times the MSRP, he said they only get that stuff once a year so he has to mark it up. I gave him a quizzical look for his odd logic and walked out. I have a sneaking suspicion that he did not even have any of those bottles because he wouldn't even let me look at them...

2x OFBB13 for $53.95. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a pour of it but I wouldn't take it over a GS FRSB OESO for around the same price.

It's because they can.

Plenty of Jack loyalists will buy it just for the bottle. It's not for whiskey enthusiasts, it's for folks who have swallowed the Jack marketing hook, line and sinker.

It's because they can.

Plenty of Jack loyalists will buy it just for the bottle. It's not for whiskey enthusiasts, it's for folks who have swallowed the Jack marketing hook, line and sinker.

This sums up my thoughts on this product. I've had it, it's good, but $150 good? Not for me, almost nothing is. But if all you know and drink is JD I can see how this bottling would be considered 'special'... I guess. Just trying to rationalize it.

How much is a handle in GA, T? I just bought one here in Illinois for $29.99, making it $9.99 after the rebate.

Clearly more than it is where you are! It was on mark down from 44.97 to 38.97 plus the rebate.

post-8493-14489820408454_thumb.jpg

I rarely buy it so I don't know if is cheaper elsewhere in town but could be.

Clearly more than it is where you are! It was on mark down from 44.97 to 38.97 plus the rebate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17623[/ATTACH]

I rarely buy it so I don't know if is cheaper elsewhere in town but could be.

I think the markdown at that store gets them more competitive in town. A dollar, or so, under $40 in most places. $29.99 is a great price Joe.

I'm wondering if the 1.75's of Larceny that Gary and I bought were marked wrong. They had 750's for $19.99. The odd thing is the receipt said, Larceny Bourbon LT. I even asked the assistant manager about the receipt because of the rebate, and he just said that's the way it is. :skep:

$29.99 seems about right for a liter. Their price would make the cost less than $15 per 750 mL. With the rebate, you paid less than $5 per 750 mL.

I'm wondering if the 1.75's of Larceny that Gary and I bought were marked wrong.

They may very well be priced wrong, but the store has been consistent. The 1.75 I bought in January last year was also $29.98.

The 1.75 I bought in January last year was also $29.98.

thats a steal, especially with the rebate! they are $41 here

Passed on a W. H. Harrison Grouseland Cache for $112. I had never seen that one. Still passed on it.

Passed on an Abraham Bowman Gingerbread today. I really enjoy it, but the price was steep ($99.99). Luckily, I have a couple of bottles that I received for Christmas. i think all received this year was bourbon...:grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!