What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw a WT American Spirit and a WT Tradition. Both were $99.99. Need to do my research before I make that kind of investment. Luckily another SB member provided me a sample of the WTAS last week so I am looking forward to taking it for a test drive.

Edited by Anex

A lot of Turkey sightings today apparently, I passed on a WT Tradition for $125. From what I've seen the MSRP on these is ~$100...I may still try to go back for it.

You may have seen the Harrison under a different label.

Yes LDI has many faces. I had just never seen the Grouseland Cache expression. I looked it up and supposedly was released 2013 January. Now the question I have is did that store just get it or has it been in the back? This is a frequent stop for me and it wasn't there until recently. Either way $112 is too much for LDI.

I think Tradition is a must- buy at that price.

I was thinking about Blanton's but at $50 I went for Ritt BiB for less than half of that, lee. PEr unit

We don't get the Ritt BIB up here in the MN sticks. When I put on my best overalls and comb my hair and head to the big city in a few weeks I need to find me some. Would Haskell's have it?

Saw a WT American Spirit and a WT Tradition. Both were $99.99. Need to do my research before I make that kind of investment. Luckily another SB member provided me a sample of the WTAS last week so I am looking forward to taking it for a test drive.

Can't vouch for the WTAS since I've never tried it but the WTT @ $99 is a winner.

You're still in Houston aren't you...

Edit: and the only research you can really trust is your own. If you don't like the standard stuff then you should probably pass. They probably have both on the bar a Poison Girl if you want to take them for a spin first.

Edited by smknjoe

I thought so. :cool:

And what I meant about liking the Turkey was that they all share the same "house style" even though they are different.

I think we may visit some of the same places.

I really enjoy the WT101. I am really looking forward to trying that sample of WTAS.

Had to pass up on a $99 Parkers Heritage POH and $125 EC21. I already picked up a few other bottles that day so couldnt pull the trigger. There was a case of the POH left so I may go back, n get one but I doubt it. There was only one EC21 left so probably gone by now. They also has JPS 25 rye and bourbon on shelf. Was a rough day

We don't get the Ritt BIB up here in the MN sticks. When I put on my best overalls and comb my hair and head to the big city in a few weeks I need to find me some. Would Haskell's have it?

I found some in the wild here today. There were 2 on the shelf when I left. I have a golf trip to MN lined up for the summer if you could wait that long. :)

In NYC for the week on biz and thought I'd grab a bottle for post work pours in the room. I was seeking my all time fav 4Rsmb but was compelled to pass on it as it was priced at 54.99 WTF??, this is a 25.00 bottle, a delicious and favorite bottle but c'mon. I know NYC prices are elevated, I grew up next door in CT but that's just stupid. It gets worse, the 4R SB next to it was a whopping 74.99!!!!!!!! That was regular ole OBSV 100p SB, what would they do with a PS barrel proofer?? So I passed on 2 bourbons I never would have imagined passing on and went to a couple more stores till I finally spotted EC12 for 25.00, THAT's more like it. That same store had others with skewed prices, not to the degree of the 4R lunacy but for some reason EC12 slipped through the cracks and into my hands, glad for it as I am enjoying a pour right now.

I passed on a Bakers for $37. Anyone think this is worth a buy? Im not a huge fan of most of the Beam family line Hayden or KC. Drinkable but not great. I think Id rather buy another OFBB13 for a whopping $3 more

Did not care for Basil or Bakers. OGC 114, Bookers and KC I like.

A Store I frequent had 3 EC21s that I had to pass up. $179 each. I did grab 4 VOB BIB and 3 ECBP though.

A Store I frequent had 3 EC21s that I had to pass up. $179 each. I did grab 4 VOB BIB and 3 ECBP though.

good choice... ... ...

In NYC for the week on biz and thought I'd grab a bottle for post work pours in the room. I was seeking my all time fav 4Rsmb but was compelled to pass on it as it was priced at 54.99 WTF??, this is a 25.00 bottle, a delicious and favorite bottle but c'mon. I know NYC prices are elevated, I grew up next door in CT but that's just stupid. It gets worse, the 4R SB next to it was a whopping 74.99!!!!!!!! That was regular ole OBSV 100p SB, what would they do with a PS barrel proofer?? So I passed on 2 bourbons I never would have imagined passing on and went to a couple more stores till I finally spotted EC12 for 25.00, THAT's more like it. That same store had others with skewed prices, not to the degree of the 4R lunacy but for some reason EC12 slipped through the cracks and into my hands, glad for it as I am enjoying a pour right now.

That store must have those Four Roses priced wrong. They are more expensive in NYC than in a lot of other places, but not that much more. wine-searcher.com can be your friend. Another thing that is funny about nearly all food/beverage stores here is that most stores seem to have some good prices and some not-so-good prices, so if you want to buy several things at the best prices, you need to go to several stores. I remember having a routine of going to two different stores within blocks of each other to get regular food staples because each of them had some of the items priced too high.

I passed up some Elijah Craig 12 year a couple of days ago at a place near my office: $50. Not barrel proof, just the regular. Everyone else here seems to have it around $25-26. These guys had quite a stockpile. I figured with that kind of chutzpah, who am I to correct them.

passed on a few bottles this weekend

PHC 6th (66.6) $85.00

'09 Handy $79.99

'11 Handy $129.99

Jeff 21/25/30 prices were all over the place

That store must have those Four Roses priced wrong. They are more expensive in NYC than in a lot of other places, but not that much more. wine-searcher.com can be your friend. Another thing that is funny about nearly all food/beverage stores here is that most stores seem to have some good prices and some not-so-good prices, so if you want to buy several things at the best prices, you need to go to several stores. I remember having a routine of going to two different stores within blocks of each other to get regular food staples because each of them had some of the items priced too high.

I passed up some Elijah Craig 12 year a couple of days ago at a place near my office: $50. Not barrel proof, just the regular. Everyone else here seems to have it around $25-26. These guys had quite a stockpile. I figured with that kind of chutzpah, who am I to correct them.

It might not be marked wrong, stuff in the city has gotten out of control in lots of ways. There are obvious ones like the PVW (had a clerk tell me straight faced yesterday $1400 for the 20) and BMH which you can find a lot of places. 2 days ago i actually saw a Rock Hill Farms for $125 around Union Sq. Its liked they just walked across the shelf and anything marked single barrel got super jacked up.

Passed on a ER17 ($489) a Booker's (batch 2013-6) for $70 and the absolute asshattery that is this picture

post-10894-14489820421228_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!