What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Michters 20 for $475 and Michters celebration for $3499.. Also a bunch of overpriced BTAC and pappy but what else is new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For where I was they were good prices.. The Michters 20 is amazing and if I did not already have a few it would have come home with me

Both of this years Woodford Malt collections (straight and classic), I really want to see the experiment and how they change with only the barrel, but given the poor reviews and the high price tag, I passed.

I keep passing on some John J Bowman Single Barrel, as well as various Balcones offerings. One of these days I'll do it.

I keep passing on some John J Bowman Single Barrel, as well as various Balcones offerings. One of these days I'll do it.

I resisted Balcones for a long time. Then, my local set aside the Texas Single Malt for me a few months ago, and I took a flyer on it. It's certainly distinctive...but I think that serves it well. It was good enough to convince me to try the True Blue Cask Strength in a bar, and then plunk down hard earned money on the True Blue 100. I've had the Brimstone a time or two, as well. They do all share some similarities, but in a good way. I know their products and practices are divisive, but I've been pleased with what I've had. I wouldn't make daily pours of any of them, personally, but an occasional Balcones is a nice change of pace for me.

On topic: I contemplated stocking up on more Tom Moore BiB, but I decided to stand on what I've got in the pantry.

Lot B at $149.99. First Van Winkle I've ever seen on a store shelf. Cashier said they had just sold 2 ORVW 10's for $99.99 each.

I resisted Balcones for a long time. Then, my local set aside the Texas Single Malt for me a few months ago, and I took a flyer on it. It's certainly distinctive...but I think that serves it well. It was good enough to convince me to try the True Blue Cask Strength in a bar, and then plunk down hard earned money on the True Blue 100. I've had the Brimstone a time or two, as well. They do all share some similarities, but in a good way. I know their products and practices are divisive, but I've been pleased with what I've had. I wouldn't make daily pours of any of them, personally, but an occasional Balcones is a nice change of pace for me.

On topic: I contemplated stocking up on more Tom Moore BiB, but I decided to stand on what I've got in the pantry.

It's the price more than anything that keeps me from grabbing Balcones when I see it. I'll have it in my hands, but something else almost always catches my eye instead. Lot of money to part with considering I can get a FR private selection for the same price, which has become a favorite of mine. I like the proof, the distinct recipes, the price relative to what you get, and the concept in general.

Lot B at $149.99. First Van Winkle I've ever seen on a store shelf. Cashier said they had just sold 2 ORVW 10's for $99.99 each.

Passed on the whole line of PVW at more than twice above. All except for PVW23. For example $499 for PVW 20.

I was eyeing the 2x OWA at $22.99 but decided to pass as well and get it somewhere else even though more convenient since I'm there already.

I passed on some EWSB 2003 because I was hoping for the 2004. Not finding it here yet, seems that it takes until summer for each new release to make it to shelves here.

It's the price more than anything that keeps me from grabbing Balcones when I see it. I'll have it in my hands, but something else almost always catches my eye instead. Lot of money to part with considering I can get a FR private selection for the same price, which has become a favorite of mine. I like the proof, the distinct recipes, the price relative to what you get, and the concept in general.

It is worth a pour if you can find a tasting event or bar locally that serves. I enjoy the Texas Single Malt and the True Blue CS. I won't be buying again though unless price gets back in check with realty. The Texas Single Malt went from $55 to $75 locally in less than a year. And the supply of it is so erratic (KY hasn't gotten Texas Single Malt in almost a year yet stores around Nashville, TN have same shipments on shelf from 8 months ago) that I've moved on.

Roger that. You've done a good job of scaling the issue. If I had to choose my "Final Whiskey" from between any FR 1B barrel-pf and any Balcones, I'd pick FR nine times out of ten, b/c to me (and I'm not breaking new ground here), it's the paragon of bourbon: aged, proofed and, most of all, as flavorful as they come. Having said that, Balcones offers something completely different. To me, FR is what bourbon should be, but Balcones shows us what whiskey can be.

OT: OWA, current production. Have plenty of W12 to make some SB blend...but hate to burn precious paper label OWA 7 on it...while hating even more the thought of resorting to current OWA.

OT: OWA, current production. Have plenty of W12 to make some SB blend...but hate to burn precious paper label OWA 7 on it...while hating even more the thought of resorting to current OWA.

No bourbon is precious. It's for drinking.

No bourbon is precious. It's for drinking.

I agree that it's for drinking. By "precious," I only meant that it's a scarce resource which I typically allocate into a glass, neat. While I recall it being pretty nice in the SB blend in years past, each oz. of paper-label that I pour into a blend is one less oz. that I could have enjoyed neat. Perhaps I could've been more more clear that my paper-label concern is not one of "whether to drink," but rather one of "how to drink." (On topic: I haven't passed anything up today yet -- danged stores won't open for another half-hour.)

Edited by Eskwar
possible double-negative

OFBB '13 - already have one in the bunker and no room for another open bottle at the moment

PHC7 Promise of hope - above my self-imposed $70/bottle cap

I agree that it's for drinking. By "precious," I only meant that it's a scarce resource which I typically allocate into a glass, neat. While I recall it being pretty nice in the SB blend in years past, each oz. of paper-label that I pour into a blend is one less oz. that I could have enjoyed neat. Perhaps I could've been more more clear that my paper-label concern is not one of "whether to drink," but rather one of "how to drink." (On topic: I haven't passed anything up today yet -- danged stores won't open for another half-hour.)

I made some SB Blend recently with OWA paper label and some WLW to see if I could make a little magic. But I know the feeling of not wanting to use the paper label stuff. Curiosity just got the best of me.

I don't know whether any local stores have a private barrel OWA around you. TPS had some for quite awhile that was ~7 years. I used that to make a blend and it was quite tasty.

I made some SB Blend recently with OWA paper label and some WLW to see if I could make a little magic. But I know the feeling of not wanting to use the paper label stuff. Curiosity just got the best of me.

I don't know whether any local stores have a private barrel OWA around you. TPS had some for quite awhile that was ~7 years. I used that to make a blend and it was quite tasty.

Good reminder on the TPS, counsel. We drive b/n TX & OH ~2x/yr, and usually hit TPS--I need to keep eyes up for current OWA store selects.

Now, let's test the limits of your curiosity: care to whip up some "ForBingEn" with the new VWFRR & Lot B you posted in that other thread today? : D

Good reminder on the TPS, counsel. We drive b/n TX & OH ~2x/yr, and usually hit TPS--I need to keep eyes up for current OWA store selects.

Now, let's test the limits of your curiosity: care to whip up some "ForBingEn" with the new VWFRR & Lot B you posted in that other thread today? : D

I plan on doing with the VWFRR what my grandpa used to do with his whiskey. Savor every drop. When the bottle was finished he'd tip it upside down on the kitchen counter and slurp up the rest the next morning.

Edited by bingstein
missing words

I passed on a Bakers for $37. Anyone think this is worth a buy? Im not a huge fan of most of the Beam family line Hayden or KC. Drinkable but not great. I think Id rather buy another OFBB13 for a whopping $3 more

Baker's is the best product Beam puts out, IMO, with OGD 114 and Booker's right there with it. YMMV.

That's my 1,2,3 for Beam products, followed by Knob Creek rye and OGD BiB.

I can't say it's worth it but that's a decent price and I do think Bakers is one of those brands one should try, just for comparison purposes if no other reason.

If its still on sale next time I go to that store Ill give it a shot then. OGD line is the only beam Ive enjoyed

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!