What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found 5 EC21s on the shelf yesterday and couldn't help myself from getting them all. I stood there in the aisle staring at them for about 10 minutes before concluding they won't go to waste, I'll drink them eventually. Also succumbed to Barterhouse and Old Blowhard. They didn't interest me for so long but I figured again, why not, I'll drink them eventually. They seem to be getting okish taste reviews even if the background on them is a bit murky at best and deceiving at worst.

Found 5 EC21s on the shelf yesterday and couldn't help myself from getting them all. I stood there in the aisle staring at them for about 10 minutes before concluding they won't go to waste, I'll drink them eventually. Also succumbed to Barterhouse and Old Blowhard. They didn't interest me for so long but I figured again, why not, I'll drink them eventually. They seem to be getting okish taste reviews even if the background on them is a bit murky at best and deceiving at worst.

Please post in the EC21 thread on which barrel you purchase and your thoughts.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20649-New-Elijah-Craig-Single-Barrel-21-year-old

Great work. I think you'll be happy you got those in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also succumbed to Barterhouse and Old Blowhard. They didn't interest me for so long but I figured again, why not, I'll drink them eventually. They seem to be getting okish taste reviews even if the background on them is a bit murky at best and deceiving at worst.

Along with the 5 EC21s that's quite a haul and yes, you will find a use for them eventually. When I was younger I would've bought them as well (irrespective of reviews, I like to make up my own mind) but I've passed my general acquisitive stage. I suggest some tasting notes are in order, for science of course.

Good for you dcbt! Here's hoping you enjoy each and every one. I appreciate someone who can visualize an opportunity and make a decision.

Picked up Buck 8-year old. The bottle says it is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and I believe they are a NDP. Does anyone know anything about it?

Jesus. My curiousity is generally limited to one bottle. Well done (?) sir.

Jesus. My curiousity is generally limited to one bottle. Well done (?) sir.

The EC21 wasn't curiosity, I've had that one before.

SA 10yr from TPS barrel strength and was able to try first at their tasting bar to decide between the two bottles they have. Went with #362.

Picked up Buck 8-year old. The bottle says it is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and I believe they are a NDP. Does anyone know anything about it?

Yes, this one has been mentioned a few times, it's a sourced Bourbon and not a bad one but not one for which I would pay a premium. Let us know what you think about it.

Got these today at an estate sale

IMG_8807_zps50159ae5.jpg

OF BiB:

IMG_8808_zpse28c114e.jpg

IMG_8809_zps184e49e7.jpg

IMG_8816_zps2593bcf5.jpg

OGD BiB

IMG_8811_zps02d22dac.jpg

IMG_8812_zps763d7b70.jpg

IMG_8813_zpsdc6e733e.jpg

IMG_8820_zps9b1ae8e4.jpg

8 year old Estes for my pop's 66th birthday in May

IMG_8810_zps635369ea.jpg

IMG_8818_zps6c5c3e45.jpg

And the mini for display (would never drink that grain neutral stuff)

IMG_8823_zpsd4351b63.jpg

Thoughts on drinking the Estes? There appears to be some cork that is in the juice...hoping if we strain it and put it in a decanter we'd be ok, as there isn't much evap, so I can't imagine too much oxidation, just looks like the bottom of the cork started to break apart. Color is great though, clean and clear otherwise. Would also love any other info on the Estes...it was a choice between that and a 1948 Seagrams...

Gold Star dusty hunting there BB. Ah, Estes Park, I vividly recall sitting on the porch of the Stanley Hotel at daybreak drinking coffee and watching the Sun's early rays hit the snow clad peaks of the Rockies which appeared close enough to stroll over and stand at the base.

As for the whisky though all I can say it it's obviously a contract brand distilled in Indiana (maybe Seagrams but who knows) and bottled in Kentucky. During that era there were whisky brokers who bought up stock from different distilleries, aged the barrels in their own warehouses and produced whisky brands to order which would explain why Estes Park was made at one place and bottled at another.

Yes, this one has been mentioned a few times, it's a sourced Bourbon and not a bad one but not one for which I would pay a premium. Let us know what you think about it.

It was okay, nothing special. It had a very smoky flavor. It tasted very similar to some Evan Williams Single Barrels I have tried. For $30, I figured it was worth a try.

Could well be Heaven Hill distillate, they've long been known as a bulk supplier to the market.

Gold Star dusty hunting there BB. Ah, Estes Park, I vividly recall sitting on the porch of the Stanley Hotel at daybreak drinking coffee and watching the Sun's early rays hit the snow clad peaks of the Rockies which appeared close enough to stroll over and stand at the base.

As for the whisky though all I can say it it's obviously a contract brand distilled in Indiana (maybe Seagrams but who knows) and bottled in Kentucky. During that era there were whisky brokers who bought up stock from different distilleries, aged the barrels in their own warehouses and produced whisky brands to order which would explain why Estes Park was made at one place and bottled at another.

I bought no bourbon today. Was at my local supermarket getting things for dinner and saw a Blanton's that I thought about picking up. Then I remembered I need to take care of my local liquor monger and buy from him instead. Will have to swing by his place later in the week. That loyalty usually pays off when they get limited stuff in.

Best regards, Tony

A bottle of Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition! Better way late than never, I had given up hope. Also found a bottle of Jim Beam Single Barrel. Almost left it on the shelf, but did a quick read of Cowdery's blog on it and decided to bring it home.

A bottle of Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition! Better way late than never, I had given up hope. Also found a bottle of Jim Beam Single Barrel. Almost left it on the shelf, but did a quick read of Cowdery's blog on it and decided to bring it home.

Where did you find the Four Roses LE2013? In NJ, I have not been able to come across anything 4RLE.

Where did you find the Four Roses LE2013? In NJ, I have not been able to come across anything 4RLE.

New Mexico, I have observed that we get limited stuff way later than everyone else.

1x ETL, 2x '91 ND OGD BIB (1L), 2x '81 ND OGD BIB (1L), 1x ND OGD 86 proof (1.75L).

A year ago, that would have been complete gibberish to me.

Thanks to a thoughful heads up from a fellow SBer I picked up a Bookers "Roundtable" 2013-6 of my very own! Having tried it recently SBS with the 2013-7 (along with the 25th Anniversary Booker's which is a different level altogether!) and liking the 2013-6 much better than the 2013-7 I thought it was well worth adding to the pile. Slightly under $50 before tax was a nice bonus as I have certainly seen it for more around here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.