What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

a lil sip of 13' pvw15. Anyone else think this one is too sweet?

You're too sweet Brett. I know a few million people who would be happy to take that off your hands.

a lil sip of 13' pvw15. Anyone else think this one is too sweet?

I don't think so, but then again, I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I love the stuff. OWA107, on the other hand, does strike me as too sweet.

Started with a pour of FR Yellow Label. I followed that with a pour of OGD114. Quite the contrast. I'm not a smitten with OGD114 as others are. I like it, but it doesn't blow me away.

I wonder if FR has ever thought of making a FRBiB? That would be something to behold considering what outstanding values EWBiB and VOBBiB are.

I survived a trip across the country, through Kentucky where I snagged several small prizes.

and am currently sipping a pour from a 90 proof 6 year old green label heaven hill 750ml.

I did think it said bonded when I grabbed it, but I can't argue with the taste.

Good sipping whiskey. A strong argument for moving to Kentucky.

There was such a nice selection in places..

I wonder if FR has ever thought of making a FRBiB? That would be something to behold considering what outstanding values EWBiB and VOBBiB are.

Their standard Single Barrel is a BIB.

post-11383-14489821143875_thumb.jpg A friend gifted to me two 1.7L Bulleit. Not usually what I go for, but it looks like I got some enjoyable work to do...

vsof12, 1776 bourbon, charter101, pvw20. I feel like charter is very drinkable and one of the best value pours around my way.

This evening I am going to open my last bottle of CETH. I've emptied the rye and the smb so it's time for the SB to meet its end.

I have enjoyed them but the new retail price points have turned me off and I no longer want to look at them.

A couple of pours from a dusty 200 ml of WT Old No.8, 101 proof. :yum: Too bad all WT doesn't taste as good as this.

Absolutely nothing, my 3 yr old twins gave me a cold last Thursday and I'm still not over it yet. My taste buds are way off, every night this week i've put a splash of bourbon in a glass to see if i could enjoy it yet, it tastes like rubbing alcohol. Hopefully by the weekend i''ll be back to normal, i've got a number of new bourbons and scotches to taste!!!

WTRR single barrel...from the first ever private selection wt ran ( through Westport whiskey & wine)

Cracked open Barterhouse. The nose is stellar....the rest less so.

If you poured blind for me I'd have been certain it was WLW or ER17 in the glass. Given the 90 proof it punches above it's proof when nosing. With even the slightest bit of water it dilutes. I got a tannic dry taste and a dirty oak finish.

Will give it another shot this weekend, but thus far glad I only bought 1 bottle. Not bad, just a big mismatch between smell and taste.

Their standard Single Barrel is a BIB.

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried one of those yet.

Cracked open Barterhouse. The nose is stellar....the rest less so.

If you poured blind for me I'd have been certain it was WLW or ER17 in the glass. Given the 90 proof it punches above it's proof when nosing. With even the slightest bit of water it dilutes. I got a tannic dry taste and a dirty oak finish.

Will give it another shot this weekend, but thus far glad I only bought 1 bottle. Not bad, just a big mismatch between smell and taste.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth as far as my brief experience with it. And I do look forward to the last 1/3 of it once it's been open for 3 months or so.

Been drinking beer in the heat but heard a local place still has a bottle of PDC blend of mashbills pouring. Never have tried it.

Been drinking beer in the heat but heard a local place still has a bottle of PDC blend of mashbills pouring. Never have tried it.

Go get you some of that pecan pie. Mmm...

The PHC Blend of Mashbills is one of my favorites. I might have to revisit that one tonight.

I've been drinking a lot of EWB this summer. Easy on palate and the wallet. And I had my first pour of ETL in almost two years last night, after finally seeing it on a shelf around here. Just as sweet as I remember, with a lovely cream soda nose. But this particular bottle has a strong candied/slightly cough syrupy cherry flavor, and its got a sort of sour, almost rancid flavor hidden deep under everything. It actually balances the sweet nicely, but I think its a one pour a night max. It is much more in your face than I remember ETL being.

I have to say I agree Fpst, I used to love ETL but I think my love for it was that I had a few extremely good bottles.

I got the commemorative ETL and was pretty "meh" about it, tried it next to those older bottles and saw why. Then I got a new ETL. Yikes.

I wonder if this is a trend... Has anyone else noticed something off about the newer ETL? Don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed it, and its still a good bourbon for the price, but I'm hoping after the bottle is open for a bit the off flavors will calm down.

I wonder if this is a trend... Has anyone else noticed something off about the newer ETL? Don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed it, and its still a good bourbon for the price, but I'm hoping after the bottle is open for a bit the off flavors will calm down.

I've shared numerous offline conversation with friends (on SB and off) and they, along with myself, agree that current ETL is not up to snuff with what was coming out several years ago.

It was revisit the vattings night but I combined them for a result of 2 parts 4RYL/1 part W12/1 part WT101. I did this as I wasn't thrilled with the 1:1 WT/4R combo at first though it is improving steadily with time, this new combo last night was very enjoyable and I will return to it soon. The personalities of all three came through in a very nice balance. 4R lead off with its 10 recipe layered sweetness followed buy the WT spice and finished with the W12 char. I really enjoyed the progression.

Followed that with some 2013 4RSB LE OBSK which about 1/3 down the bottle is starting to feature a lot of chocolate notes, damn that was delicious! Finished with a splash of WT101 just to see how it measured up, it didn't. I will have to do that one on its own not up against a monster like the 4R, but that vatting held its own just fine. A swell bourbon evening whilst watching Stg 5 of Le Tour.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!