What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2014/2015

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller 12 showed up. So I helped myself. Also a second angels envy. Slowed down on buying. Drained a Weller 12 over the holidays so I was happy to replace the depletion.

Could not pass on a Kroger select OBSK at 11 years and 9 months of age! Damn thing was on sale for $46.99, while LB 4R barrel proofers have creeped up into the mid 60's.

This appears to be a clearance on a last spring overstock (from another city/store selection) that didn't move.

Winnnnnninng!

two more bottles each of the SAOS 8 yr private barrel selections from Eric at P & M Liquors, plus a bottle of RHF for good measure.

Family size weller 12. Glad it has made it back to FL. It was a bot of a consolation though. A friend texted me to tell that he bought a bowman brothers single barrel. He then mentioned that they had a gingerbread finished there too. I stopped at that store 5 min later and it was the vanilla bean finished. Oh well, I will never complain about picking up a Weller these days. Now if OWA would show back up......

Would welcome a chance to try that Vanilla Bean Bowman myself but unfortunately no sign of it in Georgia as best I can tell or else I missed it.

Thought the Gingerbread Beer Bowman a bit of a disappointment. Not bad bourbon but it was all nose with little or no impact on the taste.

Picked up a couple more bottles of a 9-year age stated store bottling of 1792 RR. This is a funny one, as I bought a couple of the 8-year age stated bottles before they disappeared, then started seeing the NAS bottles and passed, and then started seeing some store bottlings at 9 years. So now I have two unopened 8-year bottles, and two unopened and one nearly full 9-year bottles. The conundrum was drawing the line at how much 9-year 1792 was enough. By the time I go through 5 bottles of 1792, which would likely be at least a year or two down the road, I may regret not stockpiling the 9-year. On the other hand, I already have way too much bourbon around, and need to draw the line somewhere. And the 9-year is quite good IMO--I am sure better than the NAS, and likely better than the 8-year, though I am yet to do a SBS.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of a bourbon enthusiast...

Edited by jeffrey r

Stopped by my local independent, mostly to chat (and avoid going to the gym).

Didn't expect much, as they usually get most of their shipments in mid-week.

When I walked through the door, he said "Your timing was perfect". He had just been delivered six bottles of Lost Prophet.

Stopped by a big box store to grab some lunch on the way back, and ran across a store selected bottle of Eagle Rare hiding out among the row of regular ER.

Something we can all relate too no matter which bottles we like.

Picked up a couple more bottles of a 9-year age stated store bottling of 1792 RR. This is a funny one, as I bought a couple of the 8-year age stated bottles before they disappeared, then started seeing the NAS bottles and passed, and then started seeing some store bottlings at 9 years. So now I have two unopened 8-year bottles, and two unopened and one nearly full 9-year bottles. The conundrum was drawing the line at how much 9-year 1792 was enough. By the time I go through 5 bottles of 1792, which would likely be at least a year or two down the road, I may regret not stockpiling the 9-year. On the other hand, I already have way too much bourbon around, and need to draw the line somewhere. And the 9-year is quite good IMO--I am sure better than the NAS, and likely better than the 8-year, though I am yet to do a SBS.

if you like it that much, load up, its not like 1792 is a high dollar bottle. plus, youre unlikely to see a 9 year version again, and youll never see that particular barrel selection again.

3 bottles of Weller 12. Haven't seen it in awhile. A Rock Hill Farms, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed BP.

Ted

I stumbled on a Wild Turkey 101 8 year in a Baccarat crystal decanter and couldn't pass it up.

post-10772-1448982185518_thumb.jpg

post-10772-1448982185518_thumb.jpg

I stumbled on a Wild Turkey 101 8 year in a Baccarat crystal decanter and couldn't pass it up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20023[/ATTACH]

On eBay? I see them there occasionally. These originally went on sale back in the 1980s, which is when I bought mine. Retail price was $250, I paid $150. Came with a bottle of 8/101.

Mission accomplished by rescuing these guys from those bloody Brits.

07265803ab484ae108d35498d642a63e.jpg

nice work on the stagg. been eyeing that 2013 FR for a bit. you convinced me to pull the trigger

if you like it that much, load up, its not like 1792 is a high dollar bottle. plus, youre unlikely to see a 9 year version again, and youll never see that particular barrel selection again.

Well, I know that side of the argument Fox... :) There's also the side of the argument of showing some restraint, which I am really trying to do. As it happens, I don't like 1792 "that much" (that is, I like it, but it is not one of my favorites). It is just good, solid Barton bourbon--and the extra age does it good.

Grabbed a Weller 12 and paid my premium bottle tax in the form of a store select Jefferson's Ocean. Owner was really proud of himself for picking that one. He's been good to me over the last few years with the BTAC and other hard to find stuff, so I felt obligated to grab one.

Added another as I picked up a 1.75 of EC since it's on sale and takes the per 750 price below $20. Oh and a bottle of OWA on it I buy when I find it....

Edited by Hop

Well, I know that side of the argument Fox... :) There's also the side of the argument of showing some restraint, which I am really trying to do. As it happens, I don't like 1792 "that much" (that is, I like it, but it is not one of my favorites). It is just good, solid Barton bourbon--and the extra age does it good.

Restraint is an admirable characteristic, but little known around this place (as we all mull over the selections available in our bunkers and troll the aisles of our locals... looking for diamonds in the rough)! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.