What beer are you drinking, SPRING 2015?

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Used to drink Hamm's and Stroh's back in the day for the same reason. Couldn't beat the price!

I remember getting Ballentine beer $0.99 per 6 pack. That was cheap.

Funny you should mention that, Will. Hamm's and Stroh's came in regular cases and 30 packs, as I recall, for dirt cheap. But back in NYC where I grew up, Ballantine, Rheingold, Schaefer and Piels were extremely affordable six packs, so much so that I remember buying a sixer of Piels (the weakest beer of the bunch, btw) on sale once for .89 cents (!) and thinking to myself that the glass bottles alone surely must cost more than that. How they managed to make a profit back then is beyond me, though I certainly did my share to help the local breweries' margins whenever possible.:grin:

I do like a craft beer or import now and then. For what they are, Hamm's and Stroh's are pretty good. They're every bit as good as any version of Bud, Miller, or Coors. A friend of mine once said, "if you're fishing, any beer will taste just like the river right after you open it". I like Ballentine too. I can sometimes find it in KY. I prefer to buy better bourbon or rye, chase it with "lawnmower" beer.

Ballantine was perhaps my favorite of all when I was first getting into drinking beer. I haven't seen it in years and would love to get my hands on the recently reintroduced IPA.

Cracked open my bottle of Guinness 1759 last night and enjoyed it with friends. It's a limited edition amber ale at 9% ABV. Completely different than the standard Guinness offering. Very rich and full bodied. I tasted flavors of caramel, dark chocolate and some booze (scotch?). It was good but for the price, I will probably not be getting another bottle.

Cracked open my bottle of Guinness 1759 last night and enjoyed it with friends. It's a limited edition amber ale at 9% ABV. Completely different than the standard Guinness offering. Very rich and full bodied. I tasted flavors of caramel, dark chocolate and some booze (scotch?). It was good but for the price, I will probably not be getting another bottle.

I tried this when it first came out in December and was gifted a second bottle which I am currently letting age to see what if any affect it has. There was little chance the contents would be able to justify the price and I felt that they did not even come close. Pleasant enough for maybe a third of the price at most but the actual price was of course just plain silly. Despite being reportedly made with peated malt I didn't notice either smoke or "scotchy-ness" in it. Maybe a bit of time in the bottle has allowed those flavors to evolve!

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cheers!

Got my grass cutting, edging, trimming, sweeping up, and everything put away in sunny 90's temps. Now sittin' under the tent with an ice cold Corona watching a thunderstorm roll through. Damn, I can be good...:D

It is, what is is, but there are times that no other beer is better at doing what it's supposed to do than an ice cold Corona. Now, is one of those times.

Enjoying another Smells Like a Safety Meeting from Dark Horse along with a cigar while out in the screened in porch watching a thunderstorm approaching us. Love this IPA

[h=1]Samuel Adams Rebel Rider - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)[/h]

Cheers!

Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA. Very nice IPA but $15 a six pack! Really? There are loads of IPA's of comparable (or better) quality on the shelf that cost $9.99 so I don't see myself pursuing Sculpin again, though I do appreciate my wife buying it for me for Father's Day.

Edited by unclebunk

At lunch today tried two new ones . . . Uinta Detour DIPA . . . and He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. . . . both on tap.

Both delicious . . . the Uinta was mostly hop-forward and the He'Brew was superbly balanced, smooth and too easy-drinking for the ABV of 10%.

I've had a few pale ales and IPA's from Uinta that were uniformly excellent. Will have to keep a lookout for more!

Odell's Barrel Thief… an oak aged imperial IPA. While its not bad, I'm not too impressed with the rich sweetness in an IPA.

A solid regular tonight, the Trappistes Rochefort 10. Rich and creamy as always.

I've been drinking alot of HopNosh from Uinta Brewing as it just hit KC and Jai Alai from CC that a buddy from Florida shipped me 5 six packs of. Both hit the spot on a summer day.

Revist

Squatters Chasing Tail Golden Ale - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Cheers!

Anniversary Barley Wine Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Cheers!

Time for some wheat beer now that the muggy evenings have arrived so I picked up a twelve pack of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse which I haven't had in ages. Really hit the spot!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.