What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Well, I liked the Thomas H. Handy so much that I stopped in my favorite LS to grab a Baby Saz to compare, while in the store I received an email from the Manager (he wasn't on site) asking if I'd be interested in an EC18 for $124. I'm doomed... since he got me the Handy and a W12 a couple weeks ago I feel the need to take just about any LE's that he offers me just to stay on the list. Plus I've never had it so I had to say yes anyway... right? :unsure:

Looks like you are waist deep in the Big Muddy. You can't go forward and you can't go back.  So, yes, you are doomed. Just to rub it in a little, I paid $41.99 for my last bottle of EC18. But that was before HH stocks dried up and it went away for a while. It did not come back for $41.99. Soon there will be a 1 in front of the 4. Even so, I think the SB by-laws stipulate that all members are required to buy every bourbon they have never had before. You done the only thing that could be done.

27 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

Looks like you are waist deep in the Big Muddy. You can't go forward and you can't go back.  So, yes, you are doomed. Just to rub it in a little, I paid $41.99 for my last bottle of EC18. But that was before HH stocks dried up and it went away for a while. It did not come back for $41.99. Soon there will be a 1 in front of the 4. Even so, I think the SB by-laws stipulate that all members are required to buy every bourbon they have never had before. You done the only thing that could be done.

I take solace in the fact that the Michigan state minimum is $129.99 so I feel @ $124 I'm getting a deal!

One day the bunker will be full and I will have identified the two or three bourbons I need to keep and I won't feel the need to buy everything that I haven't tasted... right? 

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

I take solace in the fact that the Michigan state minimum is $129.99 so I feel @ $124 I'm getting a deal!

One day the bunker will be full and I will have identified the two or three bourbons I need to keep and I won't feel the need to buy everything that I haven't tasted... right? 

That's the story you tell your wife. Some of us have not yet defined what a full bunker is. Does it include just the "official" liquor cabinet in the family room? The storage cabinet in the basement workshiop? The trunk of the car? The attic? (Because we are conducting scientific experiments on bottle aging that may or may not take place in the extremes of heat and cold in the attic.) That part about narrowing things down to two or three bourbons should probably read "two or three bottles each of twenty or thirty bourbons."

Stopped by an out of the way ABC Store to look around and found an ETL for $38 (don't know who Chris is, but God bless you for bugging the manager until she got them in for you). There were several on the shelf, but I only got one. Mistake?Stopped in another store and found a Single Barrel ABC Store Selection of 1792 Small Batch for $28. Never had either of these, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I live it when I can get harder to find bottles and stay below my desired $40/per bottle limit. 

IMG_2447.JPG

3 hours ago, BDanner said:

There were several on the shelf, but I only got one. Mistake?

Never had either of these, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

If you've never tried it, I wouldn't stock up on it. Many of us have made the mistake of stocking up on a bottle that we heard was good just to find out that it's not really our cup of tea. I know I've done it.

Of course, that's why you open it in the parking lot. :D

Bought my first bottle of Weller 12 yr with age statement today. Met the owner of a local LS and he had a whole case in the back at $30 each. Going to try it. If it's good I might buy the case....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might kick yourself if you don't go back very soon. It is allocated and very scarce. Some SB members in Texas are probably looking for LS's on Google maps as we type.

After calling a few of my friends, I went back and bought the rest. He did say his VW allocations will be showing up the first week of December. I'll keep you posted.

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Adam said:

After calling a few of my friends, I went back and bought the rest. He did say his VW allocations will be showing up the first week of December. I'll keep you posted.

Did you bother to taste it before you bought the rest of the case?

Did you bother to taste it before you bought the rest of the case?

No. But I had 5 guys that I called to let them know I had found it said they would be happy to purchase. Or if I don't like it, then they will make nice Christmas gifts. Lol.

9 hours ago, Flyfish said:

I think the SB by-laws stipulate that all members are required to buy every bourbon they have never had before. You done the only thing that could be done.

7 hours ago, Flyfish said:

That's the story you tell your wife. Some of us have not yet defined what a full bunker is. Does it include just the "official" liquor cabinet in the family room? The storage cabinet in the basement workshiop? The trunk of the car? The attic? (Because we are conducting scientific experiments on bottle aging that may or may not take place in the extremes of heat and cold in the attic.) That part about narrowing things down to two or three bourbons should probably read "two or three bottles each of twenty or thirty bourbons."

We should get a 'sticky' on these and add them to the new member rules.  Good work! :lol:

I needed to water down some shipping cost from the UK so a bottle of Blanton's Gold and a WT 8 yr came in yesterday.

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I've purschased this last week online, they arrived this morning. 

Four WT.jpg

Very Nice!

25 minutes ago, Richdel said:

Did the 4RSmBLE come from across the pond?  

Since he's in Belgium, I would guess that it both came from and stayed across the pond.

On 11/2/2016 at 1:27 PM, BDanner said:

Stopped by an out of the way ABC Store to look around and found an ETL for $38 (don't know who Chris is, but God bless you for bugging the manager until she got them in for you). There were several on the shelf, but I only got one. Mistake?Stopped in another store and found a Single Barrel ABC Store Selection of 1792 Small Batch for $28. Never had either of these, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I live it when I can get harder to find bottles and stay below my desired $40/per bottle limit. 

IMG_2447.JPG

I see the 1792 is New Hanover. Are you in Wilmington too?

I picked up two bottles of baby saz for $29 each, stagg Jr for $49 and two Henry McKinnon BiB for $25 ea today. 

2 hours ago, amg said:

Since he's in Belgium, I would guess that it both came from and stayed across the pond.

You're right, I bought them in Europe, Four Roses in Nederlands and the WT from SAN Marino via Ebay, I don't think they ship overseas. 

2 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

You're right, I bought them in Europe, Four Roses in Nederlands and the WT from SAN Marino via Ebay, I don't think they ship overseas. 

No alcohol sales allowed on ebay in the US. Some stores in the Netherlands will ship here, though.

1 hour ago, Andy1824 said:

I see the 1792 is New Hanover. Are you in Wilmington too?

I picked up two bottles of baby saz for $29 each, stagg Jr for $49 and two Henry McKinnon BiB for $25 ea today. 

Across the river in Brunswick, but I was in town for my weekly Trader Joe's run yesterday. I'm surprised to see the Henry Mack back on sale. I think they just ran it for $25 in August or September. I picked up 3 bottles that month. I also picked up an OGD 114 for the bunker this week.

I was the local Costco today, and they had 750ml of Blanton's for $45.99.  So I bought one for later this month, couldn't resist, and I thought that a good price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.