What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kudos elmossle!  I too have often pointed out obvious pricing errors...at my local chain, it usually gets me a 10% courtesy discount.  Sad, but so true, that most of us here on this site have a greater awareness of product and pricing than the guy often stocking the shelf.

23 minutes ago, Redslayer said:

Kudos elmossle!  I too have often pointed out obvious pricing errors...at my local chain, it usually gets me a 10% courtesy discount.  Sad, but so true, that most of us here on this site have a greater awareness of product and pricing than the guy often stocking the shelf.

To be honest the guy stocking the shelf does have a lot more to deal with than bourbon, I know it's hard for us to accept but people do drink other forms of alcohol.  I get what your saying though, I usually know more than the store owners.

10 hours ago, elmossle said:

Managed to score a bottle of EC18 today. Took it to the register to check out and it rang up as $36 and change. I couldn't believe my eyes and had to say something to clerk about the price not being right. I am all for getting a deal whenever possible but that would have been just plain robbery. As it turns out it was $100 short. Wish I still would have gotten the deal, but feel better about myself for being fair and honest.

Very respectable, I would've done the same. Hopefully they remember you next time something special comes in.

Managed to score a bottle of EC18 today. Took it to the register to check out and it rang up as $36 and change. I couldn't believe my eyes and had to say something to clerk about the price not being right. I am all for getting a deal whenever possible but that would have been just plain robbery. As it turns out it was $100 short. Wish I still would have gotten the deal, but feel better about myself for being fair and honest.

Honesty is really the only policy, especially at a LS we frequent often... but don't we all wish we'd run into something like this at a place known for price gouging?!?!? I'll take two please... :P

The funny thing is that may be what it originally cost before the massive mark up before the boom. Curious as to what date it was distilled on the back? I still have 2 bottles from '90 and '91 that I paid $41 for right as EC18 was starting to diminish on the shelves, eventually taking its sabatacle and returning with a 4x premium. Glad I jumped on those when I did and see something similar going to happen with EC12 in the near future.

21 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

The days of finding anything Weller or ETL in NY/NJ seem to be long gone (at least without gouging).  I assume you are talking about Warehouse Liquors down the street from Astor Wines? 

I don't have an exact recollection of timing, but I'd say up to about 4 years ago or so, Warehouse Liquors was flush with Weller 12.  Not too many places had it, but Warehouse did.  And at $20.99 per bottle.  This is when Weller 12 was still sought after, and low in supply and distribution, but not at the level of craziness of today.  I used to take the subway down to Warehouse after work, pick up a few bottles of W12, and then commute home with them.  I accumulated a bunch of bottles of W12 at the time, and fortunately still have a supply.  But as is often the case, I should have bought more.

New here, I haven't seen Weller 12 on the shelf in years, but I bought ETL off the shelf at both Clifton Commons for $50 (too much) and Shop Rite of Little Falls for $40, and picked up several OWA at Stew Leonards in Clifton, so it's not entirely hopeless in NJ. 

Believe it or not I got a call from an area ABC manager who told me he had a bottle of ORVW 10 with my name on it - believe I put my name on that list 2 years ago which isn't really too long in today's environment.  Also picked up several more bottles of RY10SB to keep around and payed for but haven't picked up yet a couple of "handles" of a store pick ER10 barrel #007 that I picked up a single of last week and like so much I wanted to lock down a couple more.  

On October 23, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Is that Cases of both????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Those are full cases. Should have bought more.

I like SAOS7 already, but batch #184 is something else. This purchase had nothing to do with them ceasing production on the small batch. There were some older barrels in this batch that really made it shine.

BT is always a solid choice, but this particular single barrel is amazing. I took a bottle of this to a party Saturday night that had a bunch of wine & scotch drinkers. Barely got a second pour, because it went very fast.

I'm very glad to be adding them to the bunker. And they will be consumed sooner than later!

I was fortunate to find a bottle of Weller12 at $29.99 for 750 ml and it's bigger sibling 1.75L at $49.99. ????????

Edited by gusto16

Stopped in a local Total Wine today to see if they got any Weller in. They had a whole bunch of WSR. They said they got a case of OWA this morning but sold out of it about an hour before I got there. They claimed they didn't get any W12. I did pick up a WSR for $16.49 and an ER10 for $28.99

20161025_200215.thumb.jpg.2339ba6cca0dda

Rough weekend for the pocket book, good one for the bunker. Not pictured was another SAOS SiB 9yr and an older ER10. thanks to another SBer being on the lookout for me.

Ok how do we get pictures to show up right side up???

My better half suggested we go to the liquor store so she could get some Crabbies beer she likes, last night after dinner. Picked up a bottle of SAOS 7 for myself.

Had a small pour in a glencairn and liked it quite a bit! Nice and peppery, great nose. A decent contrast from the CEHT  small batch I've been devouring lately.

I found 2 family size EC12s ( with the red 12s in front which I still prefer for nostalgic purposes). After MN taxes it was $117 for both

Another banner day for the old bunker: Three OWA, One EC18,  One ORVW, Two ETL and a  AB Gingerbread Cocoa.  All at MSRP    I have waited two years for the ORVW and almost as long for the ETL .    Only bad news of the day is that I  did not make the top of the list for any PVW this year.  Never the less, it's still a successful day and year!   image.jpeg

11 hours ago, $helby said:

Another banner day for the old bunker: Three OWA, One EC18,  One ORVW, Two ETL and a  AB Gingerbread Cocoa.  All at MSRP    I have waited two years for the ORVW and almost as long for the ETL .    Only bad news of the day is that I  did not make the top of the list for any PVW this year.  Never the less, it's still a successful day and year!   image.jpeg

Very nice.

Good day today for me and the bunker.

1x Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2016

1x Old Forester 1920

1x Rebel Yell 10YO Single Barrel

Not such a great day for the wallet.

Still searching for the ever elusive W12, the search continues.....

Nice pickups this week @$helby - I got a call from a list I went on about two years ago for a ORVW here in NC as well and just got a call from another store for a bottle of EC18 - not that I don't like it or wasn't interested but not something I was chasing since I have a couple already but when your local Store Manager supports you then you need to support them...

For other NC buyers - I just noticed that ECBP is having a price increase on 11/1 to $54.99 from $49.99 so if you see it and are on the fence that might just push you over...

Recent additions are OF 1920 and store selected Eagle Rare and OWA.  Lucked into a OFBB 16 yesterday.  Busy couple weeks.  So much for the buying freeze.

3 hours ago, Richdel said:

Good day today for me and the bunker.

1x Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2016

1x Old Forester 1920

1x Rebel Yell 10YO Single Barrel

Not such a great day for the wallet.

Still searching for the ever elusive W12, the search continues.....

Nice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.