What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, DROB said:

Do they not make WT Rye 101 any longer?

They still make it, but it was on a production hiatus for a while.

Joe

Thanks, I just picked up a bottle last week and hadn't realized production had halted. Glad they are back to making it, I like it a lot.

Passed an SAOS 10 yr SiB (53.99)today along with an ehtsmb(36.99). I may go back and get them friday. Also ran into a bookers 127.1 proof (47.99) which I believe is an older version and didn't have a name yet. Nice to be out of town where there are new and different options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Also passed a RYSiB at 41.99....I have a couple but have yet to crack one...so passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, DROB said:

Do they not make WT Rye 101 any longer?

Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, they are making it again.  It is just when they reintroduced it the price jumped from the low $20s to the low $40s.  I saw the stuff just sitting on the shelf in a few stores a few years back and then when I went back it was gone.  I just bought 2 of the "new" WTR101 this past week.  This is the first I have seen in the Indy area for 2 or 3 years.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, they are making it again.  It is just when they reintroduced it the price jumped from the low $20s to the low $40s.  I saw the stuff just sitting on the shelf in a few stores a few years back and then when I went back it was gone.  I just bought 2 of the "new" WTR101 this past week.  This is the first I have seen in the Indy area for 2 or 3 years.

They must have hit a surge in production or distribution. I had to travel to pick it up. I saw it this week locally in two stores that haven't carried it in the 5 years I've been going there. Good sign.

IWH 15....almost pulled the trigger but grabbed some ER 10  .... and a Talisker 18 which was marked waaay down along with a Glenfarclas 105 that was also on sale. 

I passed up Weller 12. I've never seen it on the shelf at an acceptable price. I was driving the family back from NY and stopped at a place we happened to be passing. He had OWA at $44, EHT BP at $99 and some other good bottles but nothing I was jumping at. We started chatting and I asked about W12. He pointed to a glass case with 3 bottles. I asked how much and he said $49. I know that's high for some of you but I told him I'd take all three. I stepped out of the store to grab my phone from the car as I thought some fiends might want the EHT and while I was there told my wife about the bourbon I'd found that I've been looking for over the last five years. I went back inside and while I was waiting for my friends to text back about the EHT the guy said the W12 was $149 a bottle. I had misheard him. I was crushed. My wife said to get one anyway since it's my birthday, but I'm not a buyer at that price, or anywhere in that neighborhood. Not a wasted trip as I wound up taking 3 of the EHTBP's for my buddies. The search continues. 

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, Clueby said:

Re: ECBP Yeah..I agree with others.  The ONE AND ONLY bottle I've ever seen on a shelf in over 2 years was priced at $65 and I bought it. It didn't even have a pricing spot on the shelf or a sticker so i had to take it to the register to find out how much. I thought $59.99 was the new MSRP for it.  I don't see it being "somewhat available" at all and it is only twice a year release, correct?

When I say "somewhat available" in this context, I mean I can find it with some effort a few times a year. I think they have 3 releases per year. And about pricing, obviously, regional prices vary. What else is new. Compared to the east coast and the upper Midwest, a lot of things are less expensive where I live, not just liquor.  Lower taxes, less liberal economic policies, etc, etc.  It's one reason why so many businesses and people are moving here, and leaving other areas.

7 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Charlie, you made the right call on the W12 (and the CEHT BP). You would have been disappointed had you paid 3X+ the inflated cost of the OWA (or 5X MSRP). That said, I would have grabbed the OWA even at $44. I actually prefer it in many respects to the W12 (actually, I like SB blend the best). Don't get me wrong, I really like the W12 too, but it is NOT more than 3X as good as the OWA by any means. There is a reason the MSRPs for these two are so close.

Thanks yes. I've been able to get OWA regularly enough that I have a few on hand including some from a private barrel (thanks to a tip from an SB'er) that I really like that I wasn't tempted at $44. The W12 has become an obsession even though I have other labels on hand that are just as good, and good value. I've never seen it less than $150. I've had W12 in a bar that I absolutely loved but at least one pour that was merely ok. That latter experience has me not going overboard to get a bottle. The realization that I misheard him felt like getting the rug pulled out from under me though. 

Edited by Charlutz

$149 for Weller 12 is outrageous, guess that's why he had in a glass case.  May be there for a while.  But your store pick-private label of OWA has me interested, is that a recent acquisition or at least something that the LS does often?  I am always on the hunt for OWA and W12, and a bit of a drive would not be out of the question.  I am in DE. so only a couple hours drive to Clarksville vicinity.

5 minutes ago, Richdel said:

$149 for Weller 12 is outrageous, guess that's why he had in a glass case.  May be there for a while.  But your store pick-private label of OWA has me interested, is that a recent acquisition or at least something that the LS does often?  I am always on the hunt for OWA and W12, and a bit of a drive would not be out of the question.  I am in DE. so only a couple hours drive to Clarksville vicinity.

I have four (4) DIFFERENT store picks of Loch & K(e)y barrels of OWA from a nearby store - $25.99 ea. OTD!  Much more expensive than my usual $21.99 regular OWA selections (4 in the bunker right now) . . . . . .  :lol:

2 hours ago, Richdel said:

But your store pick-private label of OWA has me interested, is that a recent acquisition or at least something that the LS does often?  I am always on the hunt for OWA and W12, and a bit of a drive would not be out of the question.  I am in DE. so only a couple hours drive to Clarksville vicinity.

All gone. PM sent to you. 

Passed on W12 for $100. Guy tried to feel me that was a good price for our area. Granted, I've yet to find it on shelves in E. TN, but couldn't justify that price. Please tell me I didn't make a horrible mistake?

3 minutes ago, Knocksville10 said:

Passed on W12 for $100. Guy tried to feel me that was a good price for our area. Granted, I've yet to find it on shelves in E. TN, but couldn't justify that price. Please tell me I didn't make a horrible mistake?

The answer to your request is highly subjective, not only for your area; but, anywhere.    ...Also, between you and your wallet, I expect.    My answer is you made the right choice, and not a horrible mistake.

For me?    An easy pass at anything over $50.     Between $40 and $50, I'd mull it over.... then likely pass if it's closer to $50.     Under $40?   Likely buy.... Only because it's become so hard to find.

While it isn't what it once was, it's still a unique enough pour (and versatile enough in blends) that it would be good to have at least one around.

26 minutes ago, Knocksville10 said:

Pretty much no question, you made the correct decision from a strict standpoint of being rational.  Notwithstanding that a lot of what I read about W12 these days is negative, which I think stems more from the hype, rarity, inflated price, and disappointment surrounding it (either in not finding it at all, or it not living up to the price someone paid), I happen to love Weller 12.  I actually had a nice pour last evening.  This bottle cost me $22 in NYC several years ago, and I fortunately have additional bottles in the bunker from that same era at that same price.  But considering the quality that one can buy for $30 and up, W12 is simply not worth $100 or anywhere close to that.  That said, if you have the money, and you want the rare bourbon, then you buy it and enjoy it.

29 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Pretty much no question, you made the correct decision from a strict standpoint of being rational.  Notwithstanding that a lot of what I read about W12 these days is negative, which I think stems more from the hype, rarity, inflated price, and disappointment surrounding it (either in not finding it at all, or it not living up to the price someone paid), I happen to love Weller 12.  I actually had a nice pour last evening.  This bottle cost me $22 in NYC several years ago, and I fortunately have additional bottles in the bunker from that same era at that same price.  But considering the quality that one can buy for $30 and up, W12 is simply not worth $100 or anywhere close to that.  That said, if you have the money, and you want the rare bourbon, then you buy it and enjoy it.

I think it was probably more consistently high quality several years ago (like many bourbons).

passed up ETL for $60 at a small mom and pop store... seems to be the going rate for ETL at the smaller stores.  one owner said it's because he can't get a full case of it so he doesn't get the case discount... ummm, what? he did have some Stagg Jr for $60 too...  and then W12 for $35, so I bought the 2 bottles that he had of that.

2 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

passed up ETL for $60 at a small mom and pop store... seems to be the going rate for ETL at the smaller stores.  one owner said it's because he can't get a full case of it so he doesn't get the case discount... ummm, what? he did have some Stagg Jr for $60 too...  and then W12 for $35, so I bought the 2 bottles that he had of that.

Good snag on the Weller 12's Derek. ;)

FWW, I've also heard the same thing from a few stores about having to pay more to the distributor because they couldn't get a case lot. So, they pass the extra cost right on down to us consumers. Sucks don't it? <_<

On 11/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, BeardedProf said:

Hey, BeardedProf.  I tried to private message you.  If not a problem turn on your ability to receive messages.  Thx.

40 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Hey, BeardedProf.  I tried to private message you.  If not a problem turn on your ability to receive messages.  Thx.

I think he needs to post a minimum number of times (I think 10) before PMs become possible.

On November 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM, DonutsNBourbon said:

he did have some Stagg Jr for $60 too...  and then W12 for $35, so I bought the 2 bottles that he had of that.

I had to run an errand after work today, so I stopped at a store I don't go into very often. I asked if they had any Weller, and the guy goes in the back and comes out with a Weller 12. There were three Weller 12's in the back, but he said he had to call the owner to see if he could sell one to me. <_< Well, he said the owner was keeping all three bottles as family Xmas gifts. A little bit later he said the owner would be willing to part with one for $99.99. :huh: I reckon not. :angry: Even though I'm a Weller whore, I ain't gonna prostitute myself by paying a price like that. So, I passed on the Weller 12, and a Batch #3 Stagg Jr they had priced at $69.99.  Tis the season......

Cheers! Joe

gorilla.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.