What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on Whistlepig Old World 12 Year for $120. Also passed on a shelf full of Weller Special Reserve for $16.50 and a bunch of OGD114 for $23. Almost bought a 4RSmB for $22 but I thought I'd put it on my Christmas list.

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Passed on Whistlepig Old World 12 Year for $120. Also passed on a shelf full of Weller Special Reserve for $16.50 and a bunch of OGD114 for $23. Almost bought a 4RSmB for $22 but I thought I'd put it on my Christmas list.

I'd have bought a few Weller SR's at that price Tim. Some folks here don't care much for Weller SR, but I like it. To me it's a nice, no brainer type every day kinda pour. 

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'd have bought a few Weller SR's at that price Tim. Some folks here don't care much for Weller SR, but I like it. To me it's a nice, no brainer type every day kinda pour.

I already have 3 or 4 bottles of it and I prefer owa to it quite a bit. Have about a case of owa bunkered.

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I already have 3 or 4 bottles of it and I prefer owa to it quite a bit. Have about a case of owa bunkered.

That'll work. ;) 

33 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Passed on .......... a bunch of OGD114 for $23.

there's gonna come a day when we will kick ourselves for doing such...

Got a call in September from a local store that said they had 2 OWA's come in & one had my name on it. I wasn't in need, but didn't want to turn him down. Get there & he brings the bottle out with a smile. Pull out the wallet & he says this was really really tough to get. Okay. How much? $100 smackers. I smiled back & said no thanks. Walked out & drove across town. I ask my buddy for a case of OWA just to make myself feel better. It was $22 per fifth. I didn't get a case discount, but that was fine by me.

I passed up a few bottles of Blanton's at $50 last week. The bunker is getting kind of crowded and I'm already sitting on one.

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to run an errand after work today, so I stopped at a store I don't go into very often. I asked if they had any Weller, and the guy goes in the back and comes out with a Weller 12. There were three Weller 12's in the back, but he said he had to call the owner to see if he could sell one to me. <_< Well, he said the owner was keeping all three bottles as family Xmas gifts. A little bit later he said the owner would be willing to part with one for $99.99. :huh: I reckon not. :angry: Even though I'm a Weller whore, I ain't gonna prostitute myself by paying a price like that. So, I passed on the Weller 12, and a Batch #3 Stagg Jr they had priced at $69.99.  Tis the season......

Cheers! Joe

gorilla.jpg

yikes!  at that price, yes keep them as gifts for your family!  one of the 2 that I bought went to my brother in law that's just getting into bourbon, I got him started and now he can't stop either!

Passed in the sale bin . . . Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon Whiskey - $44.98 . . . anyone tried this stuff?

Run, do not walk, and go back and buy it! It is one of my favorite bourbons. Don't be fooled by the name thinking that it's some sweet chocolate liquor (which they do also make). There is a hint of unsweetened dark chocolate that comes through in the taste and nose that is wonderful to me. It generally sells for $70-$80 in the west TN area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out foraging around and got lucky and found some OWA and W12 at decent prices.  Also talked to a guy who revealed a secret stash of Elmer T Lee (which I passed on) at 49.99.   Was sorta already over-budget -- but I'm curious, in Chicago-landia -- is 49.99 for ETL about the best I can hope for??  

....Planning an exploratory run to Indiana and Wisconsin in the coming weeks...any chance of find ETL there??

Was going to buy some ETL for $35 from a store that I rarely go to until I saw the PVW/BTAC behind the counter at beyond gouging prices. I won't purchase from these stores anymore. 

GTS - $1,000

Saz18 - $900

WLW - $700

ER17 - $700

THH - $400

VW Rye - $1,000

PVW23 - $2,000

They have ORVW & PVW15 behind those bottles but I guess they haven't gotten around to pricing those yet. 

31 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Out foraging around and got lucky and found some OWA and W12 at decent prices.  Also talked to a guy who revealed a secret stash of Elmer T Lee (which I passed on) at 49.99.   Was sorta already over-budget -- but I'm curious, in Chicago-landia -- is 49.99 for ETL about the best I can hope for??  

....Planning an exploratory run to Indiana and Wisconsin in the coming weeks...any chance of find ETL there??

Binny's sells it for 39.99. They shipped some to stores last friday, so you still might find some. You have to ask tho- they keep it in the back.

Where did you find the Weller 12? I was out of town for the holidays (see my post under History), & missed it. Stores only got 6 bottles, which doesn't go far in a busy Binny's. $34.99 a pop.

Just now, Whiskeythink.com said:

Binny's sells it for 39.99. They shipped some to stores last friday, so you still might find some. You have to ask tho- they keep it in the back.

Where did you find the Weller 12? I was out of town for the holidays (see my post under History), & missed it. Stores only got 6 bottles, which doesn't go far in a busy Binny's. $34.99 a pop.

I found the Weller 12 way out in Kane County...just exploring around -- very small and crowded shop.  One bottle left at 39.99.  I was surprised. Had an OWA at 26.99 too.  I cleaned em out....  Found some OGD 114 for 21.99 too -- best price I've seen around here.  I'll try my local Binny's -- thanks for the tip.  I have a pal there...

I passed on Rhetoric 21 and 22, also OWA. I'm waiting on the BTAC and Pappy to see how lucky I can get. I haven't seen where it's hit TX yet though, which surprises me.

Edited by DeepCover

41 minutes ago, Steve L said:

I found the Weller 12 way out in Kane County...just exploring around -- very small and crowded shop.  One bottle left at 39.99.  I was surprised. Had an OWA at 26.99 too.  I cleaned em out....  Found some OGD 114 for 21.99 too -- best price I've seen around here.  I'll try my local Binny's -- thanks for the tip.  I have a pal there...

Whenever you're up in Milwaukee, check out some big shops up there - cheap! I was up there for a few days working last month, & Evan Williams Single Barrel was only 19.99! Unfortunately had to pass on SAOS & Russel Reserve private barrels.

Passed on a 2016 Angels Envy Cask Strength at about $160 today. I've enjoyed the tastes I've had of past releases but I'm not usually a buyer at this price level. Anyone try it ?

4 hours ago, Steve L said:

yikes, that's still a lot for ETL.  a few places had it earlier this fall for $35, didn't know Binny's just got a bunch though.

3 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

yikes, that's still a lot for ETL.  a few places had it earlier this fall for $35, didn't know Binny's just got a bunch though.

I'm all up for any info...  PM me if you know any places I oughta check.  I think I probably could bargain w my 49.99 guy -- he seemed to be ready  to get what he could get...  ; ) 

Passed on a 4RSmBLE at MSRP offered by the manager of a store I frequent. I told him I had a bottle and he should make someone else's day.

59 minutes ago, JDB said:

Passed on a 4RSmBLE at MSRP offered by the manager of a store I frequent. I told him I had a bottle and he should make someone else's day.

Much kudos to you man.

On 11/29/2016 at 5:41 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to run an errand after work today, so I stopped at a store I don't go into very often. I asked if they had any Weller, and the guy goes in the back and comes out with a Weller 12. There were three Weller 12's in the back, but he said he had to call the owner to see if he could sell one to me. <_< Well, he said the owner was keeping all three bottles as family Xmas gifts. A little bit later he said the owner would be willing to part with one for $99.99. :huh: I reckon not. :angry: Even though I'm a Weller whore, I ain't gonna prostitute myself by paying a price like that. So, I passed on the Weller 12, and a Batch #3 Stagg Jr they had priced at $69.99.  Tis the season......

Cheers! Joe

gorilla.jpg

I did NOT authorize the reuse of my graduation picture.  SOMEbody is in deep doodoo.

Passed bundle of OFBB 2016, Lot B and Blantons for $899.99. Passed on other similar bundles at secondary prices but in a retail environment. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.