What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Had a busy day....

WP_20170528_22_34_42_Pro.jpg

Yikes!  You hit the lottery or sumptin"???  Nice haul . . . . . . .  :lol:

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yikes!  You hit the lottery or sumptin"???  Nice haul . . . . . . .  :lol:

I get a quarterly bonus at work in my next check but apart from the 4R these would have been gone by then so I struck while the iron was hot, they were all at retail. The 4R were the cheapest I have seen in my area at $55 and the store is a little out of the way recommended by a fellow SB'er.

I joined a whiskey club at a local liquor store.  We do tastings and such every few months and get a 10% off bonus on all purchases.    About every two months we receive $150-200 in bourbon/whiskey new releases.  We also have access to all of the limited releases first.    

My last club release had the Southwell 12 year bourbon, WFE 3 year rye, and a bottle of Red Breast Lustau edition.      The one before had HW Bourrye, Yippie Ki Yay, and MWND.

I also won the lottery for the THH @ $100 and got a Weller 12 @ $35.

Pretty cool setup for the store and a way to reward customers who participate in events and such.  

Picked up these 5  yesterday at a store in Carrollton GA. 

IMG_5564.JPG

Myself and a couple other 'regulars', along with the owner and staff, picked a barrel of Elijah Craig (about 9-years old, if I remember correctly) a few months ago. 

I  picked up the first bottle as soon as it hit the shelf yesterday... well, hit the barrel head.

I need to do a side by side with the recent GBS pick we had done during the Spring weekend meetup in Bardstown, whenever those bottles are available... hopefully next month when my baby boy arrives from Georgia in late June.

It's extremely difficult to judge two tasted so far apart in time and place; but I remember both being exemplary barrels. 

I'll crack this one in a few days, I imagine.     If it's anything like I remember, I'll go back and grab a few 'extras'.  :P  HA!

On 5/28/2017 at 9:31 AM, Richnimrod said:

I've had a couple and compared each to some of the 'older' (orange cap, 5-years back + -), and found virtually no difference. 

I wouldn't stress over finding an 'orange cap' version.   The only reasons I'd offer to seek 'em out are these: I like the screw caps, and orange is easy to see on my shelf.

Yeah, changed art on the label.  Didn't change any numbers.  

When picking up an age stated fighting cock I spotted a while back saw these at the register. Had to go back and buy this one as the first one got spilled. lol

14961119054461554561300.jpg

Good catch, the Lincoln Henderson's are a notch above today's WR, IMO. If they have more, buy 'em

Just now, Vosgar said:

Good catch, the Lincoln Henderson's are a notch above today's WR, IMO. If they have more, buy 'em

Tried to buy them all if she discounted.... She said no because upon my interest she thought she had something amazing 

I asked her when I went back if she was happy to be getting Weller antique again after seeing it on her shelf. She than went on to tell me that Wellers is hard to get because they are making fireball instead.

10 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Tried to buy them all if she discounted.... She said no because upon my interest she thought she had something amazing 

Ask her if she knows how long they've been sitting on her shelf. My gosh, it's been at least 10 years since his WR days and they certainly ain't in the Pappy category of collectibles. 

Edited by Vosgar

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

Ask her if she knows how long they've been sitting on her shelf. My gosh, it's been at least 10 years since his WR days

She didn't know she had something until he showed interest.  I agree the LH versions are much better than today's stuff.  $3.99 is kind of high for a 50 ml sample.  Maybe showing a little cash might convince her to provide a discount so she can move them.  

Hadn't bought anything for awhile but got back on the train.  Col Taylor small batch and barrel proof, blantons.  Picked up 3 bottles of OWA while in Texas.  I had a feeling that OWA would no longer be an everyday pour when I heard multiple people in Lexington refer to it as "baby pappy" when I was there for opening weekend at Keeneland.  Sure enough, this was first time I've seen it on months on a shelf.

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

She didn't know she had something until he showed interest.  I agree the LH versions are much better than today's stuff.  $3.99 is kind of high for a 50 ml sample.  Maybe showing a little cash might convince her to provide a discount so she can move them.  

Brings back a fond memory of when I found a bunch of 200ml bottles of AA BIB at a gas station/liquor store. Guy was very happy to get rid of them

This arrived in the mail today.

Really honored to get it.

Was online for one night, and gone the next day.

My first of any "crusaders " bottles.

Looks like it might be mgp.

Good !

Getting a bit tired of everything from barrel being dickel.

Looking forward to trying it.

IMAG2058_1.jpg

IMAG2059_1.jpg

Picked up a store PS of ER and Blanton's from Blackwell's. I haven't had a store pick of Blanton's yet, looking forward to trying it.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

This arrived in the mail today.

Really honored to get it.

Was online for one night, and gone the next day.

My first of any "crusaders " bottles.

Looks like it might be mgp.

Good !

Getting a bit tired of everything from barrel being dickel.

Looking forward to trying it.

IMAG2058_1.jpg

IMAG2059_1.jpg

It is MGP, yes.

It is MGP, yes.

Oh come on, you know you like that Dickel goodness! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Oh come on, you know you like that Dickel goodness! emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha! Yes, you have perhaps opened my eyes to Dickel goodness. I will admit it. I'm just confirming the man's suspicion because I'm in that group and know the answer!

Snagged a Wild Turkey 12yo on Ebay Germany. Someone tipped me about it, apparently there were 3 bottles available but the time i got there, only one left. 

Was in my local and saw the manager walking around with a bottle of Weller 12yo. I asked if he had another and the price- he said he thought he had another and the price was 36.99.

Yes, thank you! Pretty tasty:)

Was in my local and saw the manager walking around with a bottle of Weller 12yo. I asked if he had another and the price- he said he thought he had another and the price was 36.99.

Yes, thank you! Pretty tasty[emoji4]

Curious was this the new label? Supposedly they did a new release waiting for it to hit Texas.

One of the dads on the soccer team I coach owns a store. They don't do much high end whiskey but he was able to get the PHC10 for me at wholesale last year. Today I picked WTMK Decades for $120 cash. Looking forward to trying it. 

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.