What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The bottle that was too good for the archive collection became mine today. It turns out, all it really needs is some air.

image.jpeg

The bottle that was too good for the archive collection became mine today. It turns out, all it really needs is some air.

image.thumb.jpeg.be325fe489e5274dce3fecf68f40bbd4.jpeg

Shhh...

That's a MGP Mellow Corn knockoff mixed with over oaked intentionally orphaned bourbon.

11 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Picked up a 4R Al Young 50th. Very excited to give it a try. 

Nice, Congrats!

I found WT101 1.75L handles at a supermarket across the river in MO for the low, low, low price of $33.85.  I haven't seen that kind of attractive pricing for a long time so I adopted a bottle for the shelf.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, flahute said:

Stopped at a Total Wine since I was in the neighborhood after seeing a movie and saw that they finally had ECBP in the new bottle style. It was the B batch so we may have skipped right over the A batch.

I picked one up and also snagged another WT Decades. And for the first time in a while, I picked up a Baker's. 

That's a solid threesome right there.  All this recent talk about Baker's is making me want to open up one of mine.  

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

That's a solid threesome right there.  All this recent talk about Baker's is making me want to open up one of mine.  

Baker's gets talked up about once a year. Some people go out and buy one and end up not impressed so the talk dies down.

I don't know what it is. I tend to forget about it due to all the reasons discussed in the past (it's price, the preponderance of KCSB's at ages in the 12yr range for less, etc.) but every time I open one, I go "wow.....".

I don't know if they select special barrels for this release, or if they pull from a particular rick house or part of a rick house, but it really is suited to my palate.

19 minutes ago, flahute said:

Baker's gets talked up about once a year. Some people go out and buy one and end up not impressed so the talk dies down.

I don't know what it is. I tend to forget about it due to all the reasons discussed in the past (it's price, the preponderance of KCSB's at ages in the 12yr range for less, etc.) but every time I open one, I go "wow.....".

I don't know if they select special barrels for this release, or if they pull from a particular rick house or part of a rick house, but it really is suited to my palate.

Yeah I'm acquainted with it, but just sporadically.  Every time I have a pour at a bar I always say I need to open a bottle.  This time (soon) I may finally just do that.

Picked up another EC store pick. Bought one a few weeks back, finally opened it, & it was outstanding - better than the rear-label 12 I have open right now (but every rear-label 12 I've had just doesn't compare to the old ones). So went back to get another because they are almost out.

Picked up another EC store pick. Bought one a few weeks back, finally opened it, & it was outstanding - better than the rear-label 12 I have open right now (but every rear-label 12 I've had just doesn't compare to the old ones). So went back to get another because they are almost out.

Totally agree with this. Have a couple EC12 and access to more but prefer the new picks. Need to find more.

I grabbed a 4RSB OBSV today at my local store.  9 years 5 months, and 54.8%.  That will go on the shelf next to the 9 yr 11 mo  OBSQ I picked after sampling 3 Distiller Select bottles at the Distillery gift shop.  

Also found a bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat.  Saw it at the distillery back in April, but didn't buy it, and I've been kicking myself since.  This is the first bottle I've seen in Kansas City, and while the reviews have not been stellar, I've wanted to try it anyway.  I usually like the other 1792 offerings...

Edited by gurgalunas

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

nice, I've been enjoying the store pick EC's that I've bought so far, and all have been pretty spectacular.

picked up an ER10, a Blantons and a HM10SiB which Ive never had before but it was mislabeled and they honored it at 11 bucks.

1 hour ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

nice, I've been enjoying the store pick EC's that I've bought so far, and all have been pretty spectacular.

Where were those from? I tried a couple of Binny's, which were good, but this one from Antioch is far superior to my taste (tho if I remember, Binnys had several of which I only tried 2)

43 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Where were those from? I tried a couple of Binny's, which were good, but this one from Antioch is far superior to my taste (tho if I remember, Binnys had several of which I only tried 2)

From their posts, I think Antioch still has a little bit left of this barrel. Was holding off adding to the bunker for a while, but based on this I guess I'm going to have to drive up and grab one before they are gone.

3 hours ago, Trappersim said:

IMG_0401.JPG

I've had the Booker's 2017-01 and it's really good.  I actually bought two bottles of it recently, one for myself and the other for my soon to be born first grandson.  I plan on giving it to him (since they both are 2017 editions) and Good Lord willing he and I will open it on his 21st birthday and enjoy a pour.

16 hours ago, flahute said:

I have about 50-60 open bottles on the bar now. 3 have a spill stop in them. HM, EC12, and Bakers. For my taste Bakers is a red-fruit bomb that hits that perfect spot when I'm in the mood. (By the way my ER is always family size so the spill stop doesn't fit) :) 

Managed to get my hands on a one bottle of my favorite Rye bourbon,  Elmer T. Lee at $33 because my name was on a list. I also picked up three bottles of Old Grandad 114 because it's a high rye I had never tried. OWA is my favorite Wheater but I haven't seen any in months.

Just got back from back-to-back trips to Orlando and Knoxville. Picked up a few bottles in Orlando, but most of these are from Knoxville.

SAOS SB 11yr
BT SB Store selects x2 (Prohibition Package and MC's)
Old Forge Single Barrel 10 year Gift Shop Bottling 89 proof
Old Forge Cask Strength 8 yr 133 Proof Single Barrel McScrooge's x3
KCSB x4 (1 from ABC Fine Wine and Spirits, 1 from 5 Star Liquors, 2 from McScrooge's)
Stagg Jr Batch 8, 129.5 proof
ECBP Batch B517
ECSmB 11 year 5 Star Liquors Pick
Belle Meade Madeira Finish
Rebellion 8 year age stated
1816 Chattanooga Cask Strength Single Barrel (MC's Selection)
Kentucky's Finest Bourbon
AA90
Jim Beam Signature Brown Rice
Tom Sims 6yr

Not Bourbons:
EHT Rye BIB
Knox Whiskey Works 70/30 Cask Strength Single Barrel 5 yr 121 proof MC's Selection
Copper and Kings Floodwall Apple Brandy

The Old Forge cask strength bottles were discounted to $45 each. This is almost certainly Dickel, and this bottle has very similar specs to Barrell Bourbon batch 8. It's not quite as complex as Barrell, but it's close and it's also half the price, so life is good.

IMG_9319.JPG

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Shhh...

That's a MGP Mellow Corn knockoff mixed with over oaked intentionally orphaned bourbon.

You had me at "over oaked". You don't know what you're missing.

i'll also add that is pairs incredible well with expired microwave popcorn.

RY10 year SiB. Found a good barrel and went back for a couple more. Left one for the next guy. ;-)

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Barrel

2 hours ago, Three quarks said:

You are gonna like that one on the left. I have some older bottles of OWA and the most recent one I got (with the metal cap) has been one of the best. Good blend of old and new. Really great bourbon!

I look forward to finally getting to try these. Happy to find them on a shelf at retail.

hadnt bought anything in a long time as Ive been trying to drink less and diminish the bunker at the same time. I've been drinking it from least enjoyed to most, so I always have something better to look forward to.

was heading to the in-laws for dinner the other night and remembered my bro-in-law, his friend, and I killed the HH6BIB at Christmas, so I stopped and bought one to keep over there, Of course, you cant buy just one....

ECBP A117 x2

ECBP 136 

Old Charter 10 x8

Hibiki 12yr

EHT 4grain

EHTBP

Dusty OGD 1.75

EC 12ob 1.75

Will post picture later

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.