What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Willing to take a case of bourbon onto the bus is what I call dedication.

"Dedication" is a nice way to put it, thanks ;)  My non-SB friends call it obsession, compulsion, or madness. I think the proper medical term is whiskey nervosa, coined by the booze doctors here.

It really is a very good barrel of KC though. I recently put it in a blind tasting with Stagg Jr and OF1920 (along with a couple others), and it was the favorite of five out of the six people in attendance.

Looks like B517 is just getting to some of the bigger stores out here so I picked one up, now wondering if I should've nabbed a second. This store had 3 and I havent seen any others at all.

I went to a store the ABC website said had 2 jugs of VOB in stock with the intention of liberating one of them. Much to my chagrin they didn't have any. The clerk said they both went to a restaurant which is weird because the website says they still have both in stock. After seeing them go for $23.99 I was under the assumption that this was another in a long list of rotgut bourbons. But then someone mentioned last week they came in Weller bottles and I started salivating and generally losing my mind. :P Onto the next store that has some in stock.  :D

Edited by DCFan

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

"Dedication" is a nice way to put it, thanks ;)  My non-SB friends call it obsession, compulsion, or madness. I think the proper medical term is whiskey nervosa, coined by the booze doctors here.

It really is a very good barrel of KC though. I recently put it in a blind tasting with Stagg Jr and OF1920 (along with a couple others), and it was the favorite of five out of the six people in attendance.

Whiskerexia nervosa. 

I think Cowdery may have coined that. 

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I went to a store the ABC website said had 2 jugs of VOB in stock with the intention of liberating one of them. Much to my chagrin they didn't have any. The clerk said they both went to a restaurant which is weird because the website says they still have both in stock. After seeing them go for $23.99 I was under the assumption that this was another in a long list of rotgut bourbons. But then someone mentioned last week they came in Weller bottles and I started salivating and generally losing my mind. :P Onto the next store that has some in stock.  :D

VOB (I've only had the "6"BIB version) may be bottled in the same bottles as the previous versions of Weller, but Weller it ain't. That being said I do enjoy it. It has a very "fruity" character to it with Barton funkiness behind it. I find it's better cold.  A 750 of VOB6BIB is around $16 in eastern Illinois near St. Louis. Don't think it's available in MO.

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Whiskerexia nervosa. 

I think Cowdery may have coined that. 

Ah yes that's it! I've never been good with Latin...

I bought this today.
bbce470c7f2ab7e3c25b70df9875287b.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I bought this today.

Can't tell..is that 3 year or is 4 year out now?

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

VOB (I've only had the "6"BIB version) may be bottled in the same bottles as the previous versions of Weller, but Weller it ain't. That being said I do enjoy it. It has a very "fruity" character to it with Barton funkiness behind it. I find it's better cold.  A 750 of VOB6BIB is around $16 in eastern Illinois near St. Louis. Don't think it's available in MO.

The 86p is much better to me. 

the 100p (BiB) just drinks too hot and the flavors get pushed away by the alcohol.

86 has very good flavors and is very easy drinking for me.

Has strong resemblance to 1792, like a 2nd cousin or something.

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I bought this today.

That's not bourbon.

If only we had a rye section on this forum... :P:D;)

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

The 86p is much better to me. 

the 100p (BiB) just drinks too hot and the flavors get pushed away by the alcohol.

86 has very good flavors and is very easy drinking for me.

Has strong resemblance to 1792, like a 2nd cousin or something.

Well VA doesn't carry the BIB, they only have the 86 proof.

Vosgar let me know that BT was on sale for $21.99 at one place here. We had to go grocery shopping any way, so what the heck. One came home with me. ;) Thanks Bag.

Cheers! Joe

On 7/27/2017 at 7:15 AM, GeeTen said:

Got a call from my old buddies at TW - they got a case of ETL in.  Needed to replenish the bunker to be ready for my Richmond trip, so I asked that they put a couple of bottles aside for me and I'll be there as soon as I could.  Raced to the store in evening rush hour traffic only to find that the price had increased!  OH, the HORROR!   :o

ETL Richmond.jpg

I wish I could get ETL near the state of Michigan minimum price of about $35.  I paid almost that for a bottle of WSR

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Well VA doesn't carry the BIB, they only have the 86 proof.

Add one (1) Big One to my Richmond shopping list, then!  Thanks.  :)

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling, ugh. Fat fingers.

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Add one (1) Big One to my Richmond shopping list, then!  Thanks.  :)

You should check the online inventory first as this one frequently runs out of stock. 

48 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

You should check the online inventory first as this one frequently runs out of stock. 

Already bookmarked, thanks!   :lol:

About 45 minutes away from getting into at least one of these - hope you all have a good weekend.

20170728_Picks.JPG

After the disappointment of the expensive ($129 plus tax) Jeffersons Grand Selection Sauternes Finish, I bought a bottle of the Bibb and Tucker 6 yr. ($48 plus tax, on sale near me and a great value for the money) to lift my spirits (no pun intended :-)). The Bibb & Tucker is my favorite discovery of the last couple of years and deserves to be better known. Just yummy stuff.

Although they don't market it as such, it's truly a big, boisterous, pre-Prohibition style bourbon, with more than a touch of rustic earthiness while providing a virtual explosion of all those wonderful fruity, sweet, and candied bourbon flavors that we all know and love.

I don't know how you could make B & T better for the price, or at any price, except maybe doing something crazy like taking some peaches, soaking them in a $1000 Armagnac or Cognac, and then doing a destructive distillation (i.e., similar to Absinthe which involves the destructive dusttillation of wormwood) and taking that and blending it with the Bibb and Tucker. That might truly be the nectar of the gods.

Here are my purchases today.  My first repeat with the WTRB.  Trying the Henry McKenna.  Stagg jr.  four roses single barrel.  And the shop that had the stagg jr, gave me a deal on the Sinatra 

image.jpg

9 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I wish I could get ETL near the state of Michigan minimum price of about $35.  I paid almost that for a bottle of WSR

I hear ya' Will.  The price on ETL has creeped up here in the last year or so. When and if it showed up (at my go to place), it was $34.99 for the longest time. It went up to $39.99, and then $43.99. I kinda gave up at that point. It was nice to see another store here get some and sell it for $39.99. I bought a couple at that price. My niece's husband is starting to get into bourbon a little now. I let him know about the ETL and he bought one too, but left another for the next guy. He's learned well from me and SB. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

31 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

After the disappointment of the expensive ($129 plus tax) Jeffersons Grand Selection Sauternes Finish, I bought a bottle of the Bibb and Tucker 6 yr. ($48 plus tax, on sale near me and a great value for the money) to lift my spirits (no pun intended :-)). The Bibb & Tucker is my favorite discovery of the last couple of years and deserves to be better known. Just yummy stuff.

Although they don't market it as such, it's truly a big, boisterous, pre-Prohibition style bourbon, with more than a touch of rustic earthiness while providing a virtual explosion of all those wonderful fruity, sweet, and candied bourbon flavors that we all know and love.

I don't know how you could make B & T better for the price, or at any price, except maybe doing something crazy like taking some peaches, soaking them in a $1000 Armagnac or Cognac, and then doing a destructive distillation (i.e., similar to Absinthe which involves the destructive dusttillation of wormwood) and taking that and blending it with the Bibb and Tucker. That might truly be the nectar of the gods.

Interesting thoughts on B&T. Can't say I've heard many other people gush about it, and I haven't tried it. I'd be much more likely to do so if it came from a more a more reputable company and/or if they disclosed who distilled it, etc. I do think the bottle design is cool though

On July 27, 2017 at 6:15 AM, GeeTen said:

Got a call from my old buddies at TW - they got a case of ETL in.  Needed to replenish the bunker to be ready for my Richmond trip, so I asked that they put a couple of bottles aside for me and I'll be there as soon as I could.  Raced to the store in evening rush hour traffic only to find that the price had increased!  OH, the HORROR!   :o

Great grab on the ETL Gee. I wish I'd have bought at least a couple more when I was out in your area a while back. <_<

Cheers! Joe

15 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Interesting thoughts on B&T. Can't say I've heard many other people gush about it, and I haven't tried it. I'd be much more likely to do so if it came from a more a more reputable company and/or if they disclosed who distilled it, etc. I do think the bottle design is cool though

You're right, and I had the same thoughts, but the juice speaks for itself, especially considering how much very unremarkable stuff is out there at premium or super-premium prices. Have you tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? If not, it's worth a go.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.