What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have officially passed on Parker's Heritage at $249 and KO Rye at $169 (though I did buy a bottle of KO Rye for $129). 

I passed on KO rye at $130, a couple of times actually.  I enjoy rye, but prefer a bold, spicy rye.  No idea on how this one will compare to my taste preference, and not in a hurry to drop that kind of money to find out.  I'll try it somewhere, and know for the future.

Passed on Little Book at $75.  I'm not a fan of corn-forward whiskey, and since one component of this blend is corn whiskey, I'll try it before I buy it...

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

So they cut down a historic tree to make corks for bottles of mystery whiskey so they can charge exorbitant prices for it?

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I was hoping to read about how the tree went down in a wind storm or something.

IIRC, The Boundary Oak succumbed to old age and disease, and had to be cut down in the mid 1970's. They left a stump, but it was removed in the mid 1980's. There is a replica of a cross cut section of it at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Park in Hodgenville. Hodgenville is only a short drive from Bardstown. My wife and I visited there (again) when we were at the Sampler last year.

Cheers! Joe

lincoln.jpeg

I'm hoping to get a 'back-up-bottle' for the bunker before everybody else jumps on this.    So, please quit hyping this wonderful stuff all over this site!  ;)

• I like it 5

Boundary Oak has some products on the shelves now but none of them are bourbon yet.  Their first bourbon was supposed to be on the shelves sometime this year.  Hasn't happened yet.  I've heard that it's been sampled and is not ready for the bottle yet.  I have to give Brent props for holding back until it's ready.  Too many bourbons are going into the bottle too young.  Of course I've also heard that the product is not that good and never will be.

• I like it 1

Passed on ECBP at $99 and $82, although $80 may be the new normal in our area...time will tell, and it may start to sit on the shelves a bit longer at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Boundary Oak has some products on the shelves now but none of them are bourbon yet.  Their first bourbon was supposed to be on the shelves sometime this year.  Hasn't happened yet.  I've heard that it's been sampled and is not ready for the bottle yet.  I have to give Brent props for holding back until it's ready.  Too many bourbons are going into the bottle too young.  Of course I've also heard that the product is not that good and never will be.

I'll give him some props when he drops the price of the 'bullshit mystery whiskey' he's got on the shelves now by $1200 (per bottle)!  ;)

• I like it 1

Not bourbon, but saw three bottles of Whistlepig "The Boss Hog" Rye Whiskey for $699 each - just insane if you ask me. Would never pay as much for a bottle of brown water as I pay for a new laptop!

2 hours ago, starhopper said:

Not bourbon, but saw three bottles of Whistlepig "The Boss Hog" Rye Whiskey for $699 each - just insane if you ask me. Would never pay as much for a bottle of brown water as I pay for a new laptop!

Pricey, which release was it? I think The Black Prince is going for retail at $500, which is nutty to me as it is.

51 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Passed on 4RLE at $180 and Midwinter's Night Dram Act 5 at $110.

You don’t have access to PMs yet (since you don’t have 10 posts), but if you do would you mind sending me the store info on that one (via PM). Thanks

Went to a store I like today and the owner asked me if I wanted anything from the back, I took a gander through the door and noticed a Parker's Heritage, I asked him how much it was, he asked me what I would pay which was a response I didn't really care for. I told him I don't generally go over retail and his number was $280, too rich for my blood. He also tried to sell me on KO Rye, Michters Rye Toasted Oak and some other stuff I didn't want to buy and was pretty pushy about it, then for some reason he gave me a pour a Boondocks Cask Strength American Whiskey which I actually didn't mind, I left with a couple Belgian Beers and said thanks.

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I took a gander through the door and noticed a Parker's Heritage, I asked him how much it was, he asked me what I would pay which was a response I didn't really care for.

Heh. What a swine. "How much will you pay for it?"

Edited by Government Beard

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Went to a store I like today and the owner asked me if I wanted anything from the back, I took a gander through the door and noticed a Parker's Heritage, I asked him how much it was, he asked me what I would pay which was a response I didn't really care for. I told him I don't generally go over retail and his number was $280, too rich for my blood. He also tried to sell me on KO Rye, Michters Rye Toasted Oak and some other stuff I didn't want to buy and was pretty pushy about it, then for some reason he gave me a pour a Boondocks Cask Strength American Whiskey which I actually didn't mind, I left with a couple Belgian Beers and said thanks.

"I don't know, how little will you take for it?"

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Pricey, which release was it? I think The Black Prince is going for retail at $500, which is nutty to me as it is.

The Black Prince

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have a few bottles of the "Boondocks" Cask Strength - VERY GOOD IMHO and let's keep that a secret.

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It could be because I am mildly intoxicated and severely sleep deprived, but I found this line hysterically funny, and will totally use it the first chance I get.

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

"Wicked good" line!   Will also use it from now on.   :lol:

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Went to a store I like today and the owner asked me if I wanted anything from the back, I took a gander through the door and noticed a Parker's Heritage, I asked him how much it was, he asked me what I would pay which was a response I didn't really care for. 

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

This line immediately came to me after reading this. "Here's 50 bucks. Thanks a lot ass**le." :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Apparently (maybe in spite of the guy yesterday) my pain point was $175, I'm not proud of myself...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.