What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on WT Decades on sale for $100 from $150. Lowest I’ve seen and if it wasn’t the middle of BTAC/PVW season I may have grabbed it. Any thoughts on this bottle at this price?

Passed on WT Decades on sale for $100 from $150. Lowest I’ve seen and if it wasn’t the middle of BTAC/PVW season I may have grabbed it. Any thoughts on this bottle at this price?

I would have bought it at that price. I have a bottle, but I am considering getting another bottle for my brother in law's 50th birthday present next year, but I keep hoping I'll find it somewhere for less than the approximately $140 that I can usually get it for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Going off of others’ posts, this is a good for HWMWND. I’ve only had one port finished whiskey (Angel’s Envy), which was just ok. I know people seem to really love this stuff, but I’d have to try it before dropping this much money for it. Just another bottle out there for the next guy. 

EBC74605-99E6-439F-8E0B-1C72B76A1742.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Going off of others’ posts, this is a good for HWMWND. I’ve only had one port finished whiskey (Angel’s Envy), which was just ok. I know people seem to really love this stuff, but I’d have to try it before dropping this much money for it. Just another bottle out there for the next guy. 

Nice. Angel's Envys proof makes it really uninteresting in my opinion. 

1792's Port Finish is pretty good, at a higher proof, and is finished for over 2 years in the Port Barrel. The color is much darker on the 1792 Port then the AE.

Midwinter is the best of the bunch, however, and sits respectably just below 100 proof.

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Funny, I just picked it up today for $99 - sampled it last night and really enjoyed it, but would have still passed at $149. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I speculated on one last year and found I really enjoyed it over the holidays. Bought another bottle this year. 

19 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

It is great and at that price I would buy 2.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I love MWND and if that is a good price for where you live than I would grab it, here I can find it for $85, and one of the local chains sells it for $70 but it tends to go before I have a shot to buy. 

18 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Buy it

Stopped in a NC ABC store in Raleigh.  Never heard of or seen this stuff before. First Special Forces Bourbon. First in Asia 2016. I maybe would have considered taking a chance on it if it was $30, but there is absolutely no way for a NAS bourbon (not even straight bourbon), at 92 proof for a ridiculous  $81.95 + tax.

IMG_1866.JPG

22 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Nice. Angel's Envys proof makes it really uninteresting in my opinion. 

1792's Port Finish is pretty good, at a higher proof, and is finished for over 2 years in the Port Barrel. The color is much darker on the 1792 Port then the AE.

Midwinter is the best of the bunch, however, and sits respectably just below 100 proof.

Totally agree with this, although I’m curious about the cask strength angels envy. MWND is definitely the cream of the crop as you said. It’s really great to have on hand for the holidays, and definitely a good buy at 99.99.

• I like it 1

On 11/10/2017 at 2:27 PM, JCwhammie said:

I would  have bought it.  along with that store pick BT

8 hours ago, silverc said:

Stopped in a NC ABC store in Raleigh.  Never heard of or seen this stuff before. First Special Forces Bourbon. First in Asia 2016. I maybe would have considered taking a chance on it if it was $30, but there is absolutely no way for a NAS bourbon (not even straight bourbon), at 92 proof for a ridiculous  $81.95 + tax.

IMG_1866.JPG

MSRP is $75 it appears.

further details 

image.jpeg

On 11/10/2017 at 12:31 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

There are a couple stores blowing Decades out @ 69.99 and Diamond @ 61.99. CO must be swimming in premium WT juice.

10 hours ago, netboog said:

There are a couple stores blowing Decades out @ 69.99 and Diamond @ 61.99. CO must be swimming in premium WT juice.

Do any of them ship?  Decades is still $150 around here....I could buy two at 69.99 and with $20 or so shipping still be at nearly half price compared to here!

21 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Totally agree with this, although I’m curious about the cask strength angels envy. MWND is definitely the cream of the crop as you said. It’s really great to have on hand for the holidays, and definitely a good buy at 99.99.

Also interested in the CS AE. Never tried it but could be promising. 

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, sbsbsb said:

Do any of them ship?  Decades is still $150 around here....I could buy two at 69.99 and with $20 or so shipping still be at nearly half price compared to here!

I don't think they do, they tend to be a one off Sunday special that creates a line before stores open.

3 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Not sure it worth the $175 a bottle, but it's pretty tasty.  To me it taste pretty unique, hard to give you a comparable bourbon.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, netboog said:

Wow!  The price has always put this out of interest to me.  However, I might be more interested at these prices.  

10 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Yeah, same here.  If the price dropped into the $70s, which is 1/2 what it normal runs here, I might buy a bottle.

• I like it 1

In Kentucky I passed up a Weller 12 for 119.00, not gonna do it! Guy working there also said he had just sold the 1 bottle of Jefferson's Presidential 16 year for 340.00. They charge 69.99 for Blanton's which is 16 bucks and change more than what I can get it pretty regularly at home in Ohio so I think I'm done stopping there. Did get a 375 of Eagle Rare and Buffalo  trace for 15 each so not a total loss! 

Passed on a Jeffers Creek this weekend. Had never seen it before but obviously the bottle is an eye catcher sitting there on the shelf... 6yo and $8 also jumped out at me, but so does "80 proof"... Had to pass... The first review I later read on line contained the words "a hint of gasoline..." Unknowing purchase of drain cleaner averted evidently...

Jeffers Creek.jpg

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

The first review I later read on line contained the words "a hint of gasoline...

Jeffers Creek.jpg

Hmmm...Are you sure that wasn't a review of a fine Rum?   :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.