What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was out and about most of the day today getting some errands done, and of course, grocery shopping. I hate grocery shopping. The only reason I like it is that there are liquor stores near two of the grocery store we go to. ;) I'm really trying to show some restraint with my purchasing, so I passed on everything. Here's the highlights, or depending on how you look at it, the lowlights. At the first store I passed on OWA and Weller SR for $39.99. At the second store I passed on Weller SR for $23.99 and OWA for $25.99. Yes, it pained me just a little to walk out of the latter store empty handed. :(

Cheers! Joe

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

At the second store I passed on Weller SR for $23.99 and OWA for $25.99. Yes, it pained me just a little to walk out of the latter store empty handed. :(

Cheers! Joe

I am not sure I could have not picked up a bottle of OWA.  However, I am down to my last 1/2 bottle with none bunkered so that goes without saying i guess.

Passed on:

-Booker's for $90

-WSR for $40

-RHF for $130

-SAOS 7 year for $50

-ECBP for $69

I went to about 6-7 liquor stores looking for Blanton's - no luck! 

I almost picked up the RHF, for the simple fact that I've never seen it in the wild, but that's way too much to drop on something I've never tried, only read about.

I'm convinced AZ isn't the best for bourbon lovers...

Cheers!

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

passed on a bourye for 80 and a blanton's at 59 at a grocery store

I wish I could have been at that store!! Spent all day looking for a Blanton's. Even IF I found one, the cheapest any store around here sells them is for $65.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I wish I could have been at that store!! Spent all day looking for a Blanton's. Even IF I found one, the cheapest any store around here sells them is for $65.

Cheers!

All I can recommend is staying patient and not giving in to the gougers.  In the short time i have been drinking bourbon I have realized the actual number of regular production bottles that are hard to find are fairly small.  Eventually you will run across most of them at a reasonable price and be so happy that you waited.  

The first ETL I ever saw in the wild was after months of "looking" and was $65.  Man I was tempted.  About a month later I was able to score a couple of bottles for $33 and $35.  It felt incredible.  

• I like it 2

I was in upstate NY this weekend and on Saturday managed to go into a liquor store.  I wasn't expecting much but was surprised that they had some good stuff.  And at how they were priced they'll likely keep on having some good stuff.

Passed on:

Weller 12 - $200

Michter's Toasted - $100

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B517 - $90

Weller Special Reserve - $40

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cheers!

Weller 12, elmer, antique and a few others basically dont exist out here, blantons I can find at least every few monthsand pass on it pretty regularly as ive got 2 and rarely drink it since I prefer RHF. Distribution is a weird, frustrating thing.

Checked out a few shops on my trip back home and found a row of Booker's Bluegill batch for $56 in one shop. It was a great price, but I've already got 8 or 9 bottles of different Booker's batches in my bunker, so I just had to pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2017 at 4:00 PM, gurgalunas said:

I passed on KO rye at $130, a couple of times actually.  I enjoy rye, but prefer a bold, spicy rye.  No idea on how this one will compare to my taste preference

It's more of a smooth, easy drinker, fyi.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cheers!

Every now and then it will pop in to TW @$59.99. I've come across it twice since early September (grabbed 2 bottles the first time, so didn't go for it the second). When I was talking to a 'cellar master' at AJ's recently, he told me they did a store pick of Blanton's, but he wasn't sure when it would be coming in (no idea of their pricing though). That same AJ's had Michter's Toasted for $70 or $80 I think - I've not tried any of the Michter's line yet, so didn't jump at that either. 

• I like it 1

Just now, Bnrhodes3 said:

Every now and then it will pop in to TW @$59.99. I've come across it twice since early September (grabbed 2 bottles the first time, so didn't go for it the second). When I was talking to a 'cellar master' at AJ's recently, he told me they did a store pick of Blanton's, but he wasn't sure when it would be coming in (no idea of their pricing though). That same AJ's had Michter's Toasted for $70 or $80 I think - I've not tried any of the Michter's line yet, so didn't jump at that either. 

Great to know! I'll keep checking TW. I have to check out AJ's too.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Great to know! I'll keep checking TW. I have to check out AJ's too.

Cheers!

Just check their website for certain bottles. It will tell you which stores have what in stock. I set mine for a further location since that way it will tell me if they are available at the closer stores (I still haven't figured out how it indicates what is at the 'home' store).

7 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cheers!

$65 is not an outrageous price. It's $60 at the ABC here so when you factor in your time, gas, etc paying a $5 premium to find something that's really special and hard to find isn't bad at all.

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

All I can recommend is staying patient and not giving in to the gougers.  In the short time i have been drinking bourbon I have realized the actual number of regular production bottles that are hard to find are fairly small.  Eventually you will run across most of them at a reasonable price and be so happy that you waited.  

The first ETL I ever saw in the wild was after months of "looking" and was $65.  Man I was tempted.  About a month later I was able to score a couple of bottles for $33 and $35.  It felt incredible.  

This is great advice, and pretty much the way I approach my bourbon hunting also. In fact almost the exact same thing happened with me and Elmer T. I found a bottle for $60 and was considering buying it, but decided against it. A couple of months later a different store got in a case, and were selling them at $35. I got two bottles for nearly the price of one of the other store. The way I see it is that if one store has a bottle that is overpriced, it probably means that other stores in the area will get it in occasionally also.

For very limited edition items I may consider paying a bit above retail for one bottle perhaps, as they may not come around again. For items that are released regularly, albeit infrequently, I find that patience is best, there will always be more coming sooner or later.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Rye, but worthwhile find:

Baby Saz for $55 behind glass display, limit 2 per customer.

I thought it was interesting here that I saw 2 full rows on the bottom shelf last month, and they were $29.99. I picked one up at the time. The interesting part to me is that they still have them in stock at the price. So either people here haven't noticed them on the bottom shelf, or they don't want it in this area.

13 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I thought it was interesting here that I saw 2 full rows on the bottom shelf last month, and they were $29.99. I picked one up at the time. The interesting part to me is that they still have them in stock at the price. So either people here haven't noticed them on the bottom shelf, or they don't want it in this area.

Same observation in my area. Was wondering if its just not in demand these days.

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Rye, but worthwhile find:

Baby Saz for $55 behind glass display, limit 2 per customer.

Was this in Boston, if so that's an easy pass! It is not incredibly common in a lot of places, but I know of at least a dozen stores in the area that I could walk into that have baby saz on the shelf for between $25 and $35. It is one of those that has distribution/allocation "issues" like most BT products.... 2 per customer is funny, fool me twice comes to mind

Baby Saz is readily available in my area all the time for around $30 with no limit. It's good, but not worth more than the $30 range and there is lots of competition that's just as good in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Baby Saz is readily available in my area all the time for around $30 with no limit. It's good, but not worth more than the $30 range and there is lots of competition that's just as good in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is rarely seen here and many treat it like Kane described..around $50, locked up in a case, limit 1 (vs 2).  Occasionally TW will have it at $29.99 but it's still limit 1.  When my daughter was in NOLA last year she brought me back a 1.75L and I think it was $37.99.  I didn't even know they MADE them that size.  Apparently its in pretty much in every store in down down there.

so weird, I could make a drive of about 5 mile radius and probably get a dozen baby saz at 30ish.

Found a shelf full of the stuff for $30 just now, quite literally across the street from the gouger. Incredible...

They also have the new ECBP for $75, but I have an older bottle already, so will save up for something else that's bound to catch my eye sooner or later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.