What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Being the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB, I know that some folks (Vosgar in particular) will find it hard to believe that I've passed up Weller's on more than one occasion recently. What can I say? :unsure:

A good whore knows what their wares are worth in the present market.

And you are the best there is.

3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I have no words, just...emoji15.pngemoji33.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know the feeling Steve. While I haven't been traveling, I have found myself making frequent rounds at some of my "locals" lately. Multiple chores and errands have had me out and about quite a bit, and somehow I almost always find myself close to a liquor store. ;) I've seen some good deal on a few things, and found some other good stuff that I was interested in, but somehow I've passed on everything. I inquired about Weller 12 at one store. They didn't have any, but the assistant manager offered me OWA or Weller SR instead. I told her that I'd already purchased a number of both of those from their store, and didn't want to be a hog. She smiled and thanked me, and I thanked her. As fate would have it, I stopped at a sister store the next week. The manager was on vacation, and the same assistant manager from the previously mentioned store was filling in for him while he was gone. Deja' Vu all over again. :huh: We both had a pretty good laugh. I already knew the answer, so I didn't even bother to ask. :mellow:

Being the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB, I know that some folks (Vosgar in particular) will find it hard to believe that I've passed up Weller's on more than one occasion recently. What can I say? :unsure:

Cheers! Joe

Well, I took care of business upon returning home. While in KY, my favorite LS messaged me that they had a Parker's Heritage for me. I stopped by on the way home and they surprised me further with a Birthday Bourbon. Good thing I held off while in the Motherland!

Joe, good on you for passing on some Wellers so others could get some. That's some true sacrifice!

A friend who owns a store offered EC18 for $110. Great at today’s prices but I have a bottle from a couple years ago and not ready for another. At a different store I passed on GTS, THH and ORVW each at $329. 

$110 for EC18 is below cost for stores in my area, so I would have been reaching for my wallet quickly if I had been given that offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I took care of business upon returning home. While in KY, my favorite LS messaged me that they had a Parker's Heritage for me. I stopped by on the way home and they surprised me further with a Birthday Bourbon. Good thing I held off while in the Motherland!

Joe, good on you for passing on some Wellers so others could get some. That's some true sacrifice!

Congrats on the PH and OFBB! I think I've missed out on the OFBB this year, but I keep hoping I'll get lucky and find one.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

A friend who owns a store offered EC18 for $110. Great at today’s prices but I have a bottle from a couple years ago and not ready for another. At a different store I passed on GTS, THH and ORVW each at $329. 

Oh man I’m jealous, I’d kill to find EC18 at $110. I’m a sucker for all things Heaven Hill admittedly, but it’s nearly impossible to find in NYC under $200. The bottle I have isn’t something I break out frequently as I’m only in the mood for that degree of oak every once and a while, but it’s great juice.

5 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

Oh man I’m jealous, I’d kill to find EC18 at $110. I’m a sucker for all things Heaven Hill admittedly, but it’s nearly impossible to find in NYC under $200. The bottle I have isn’t something I break out frequently as I’m only in the mood for that degree of oak every once and a while, but it’s great juice.

You need to get yourself out of the city, not that it gets too much easier to find things but it certainly gets significantly cheaper. 

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

You need to get yourself out of the city, not that it gets too much easier to find things but it certainly gets significantly cheaper. 

Agreed. My bottle was $106 in a small town store and I'm sure they still made a profit.

20171104_202032-1209x1612.jpg

I passed on an ETL and a BTsp today. Considering that I have six open bottles of bourbon, two open bottles of rye, and one of Gran Marnier to go with some baby Saz, W12, a bottle of ETL, all unopened, and a bottle of HHBIB to pick up, I feel like I'm in the land of tall cotton when it comes to distilled spirits. Obviously, I can't lay a claim to having a well stocked bunker but I've got enough, for now that is. I'll probably see things differently next week.

• I like it 1

Agreed. My bottle was $106 in a small town store and I'm sure they still made a profit.
20171104_202032-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.21c774b4d7a725b3fb1c29d1d6cf27f2.jpg

I can't imagine they made much profit, but every location is different. The store cost in my area is actually more than that for EC18.

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah New York is a nightmare price wise, although I live in Queens so occasionally you can find stuff priced at MSRP by store owners who don’t know what it is or care. The only other place I shop on a regular basis is in PA. They’re state run so their prices are usually great but for whatever reason they sell EC18 at 199.99 there as well.

44 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

Yeah New York is a nightmare price wise, although I live in Queens so occasionally you can find stuff priced at MSRP by store owners who don’t know what it is or care. The only other place I shop on a regular basis is in PA. They’re state run so their prices are usually great but for whatever reason they sell EC18 at 199.99 there as well.

Well if you are ever looking for anything and you find yourself making your way to the other side of the Hudson feel free to drop me a PM.

58 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well if you are ever looking for anything and you find yourself making your way to the other side of the Hudson feel free to drop me a PM.

I definitely will, I make my way over every now and again. 

Passed on Angel’s Envy cask strength, $250. I don’t like regular angels envy much and have been spending a lot on whiskey lately so I don’t feel like adding something high cost, low age, and with which I have no prior taste experience. 

42 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Passed on Blade and Bow... just don’t know about that stuff...

I had my first pour of B & B last weekend at Jockey Silks Bourbon Bar in Louisville.  I really enjoyed it.  Not right now, but in the future I see a bottle in my cabinet.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Passed on this. Hoping for a mid winters dram. 

IMG_3617.JPG

Just bought one for $65 from TW. It is an amazing pour, and if no cheaper option was available I'd easily pay 84.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

Just bought one for $65 from TW. It is an amazing pour, and if no cheaper option was available I'd easily pay 84.

Thanks for the feed back. I did grab a mid winters today. 

50 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Thanks for the feed back. I did grab a mid winters today. 

That was my original intention as well, but alas, none to be found.

5 hours ago, Theiano said:

Passed on Angel’s Envy cask strength, $250. I don’t like regular angels envy much and have been spending a lot on whiskey lately so I don’t feel like adding something high cost, low age, and with which I have no prior taste experience. 

$250 is too high, but I find it to be really good. Quite a bit better than their standard issue. Hopefully you can find a pour somewhere and try it out. 

BTAC hunting and passed on an ER store pick at $33.  I recently got a few store picks from a different place at $27 and was feeling a little stingy I guess.  Also interesting to note this pick was not from the liquor store but rather a popular downtown restaurant .  The LS must have bought the inventory??  Thinking I will pick up a bottle or two if they are still there when I circle back in a few days to check up on the BTAC.

came across some EC18 and OWA, $200 and $80 respectively... yea, no thanks!

I also came across this interesting find:

5a049ad65e3d9_2017-11-0616_52_39.thumb.jpg.a05eac7764181f33ffc3386decdabbe9.jpg

vanilla flavored bourbon... I love their root beer and vanilla cream soda, but don't know about this one.

8 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

vanilla flavored bourbon... I love their root beer and vanilla cream soda, but don't know about this one.

I was about to say this looks just like the packaging from the not your fathers root beer.  almost.

12 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

I think I've seen it all now... :wacko:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.