What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed BTAC and all other allocations at my local. Got the phone call that they arrived but I was at work (still am).  Funny he said they were all gone except Elmer T and cEHT only 15 mins after they called. Bad timing. 2/3 chances remaining.

Passed on a handle of Fighting Cock with 6yr age statement for $37. I've never tried it before and wasn't sure I wanted to take a gamble on a handle size. I'll be in the area again tomorrow, so any thoughts on whether it's worth getting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on a handle of Fighting Cock with 6yr age statement for $37. I've never tried it and wasn't certain if I wanted to gamble on such a large bottle. I'll be in the area again tomorrow, so any thoughts on whether I should grab it if it's still there? They also had a Booker's "Toogie's Invitation" for $57, and I'm really thinking about picking it up even though I already have 2 in the bunker.

20 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on a handle of Fighting Cock with 6yr age statement for $37. I've never tried it and wasn't certain if I wanted to gamble on such a large bottle. I'll be in the area again tomorrow, so any thoughts on whether I should grab it if it's still there?

That's a buy, IMO. If for some reason you don't like it, bring it to Bardstown next April and I'll buy the rest from you

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

That's a buy, IMO. If for some reason you don't like it, bring it to Bardstown next April and I'll buy the rest from you

That's definitely a strong endorsement! If it's still there tomorrow (it likely will be), I'll probably go ahead and pick it up. 

Passed on a handle of Fighting Cock with 6yr age statement for $37. I've never tried it before and wasn't sure I wanted to take a gamble on a handle size. I'll be in the area again tomorrow, so any thoughts on whether it's worth getting?

I think I like it more than EW BIB, JW Dant BIB and even possibly more than HH 6yr BIB. It's your call but if you like any of aforementioned HH BIBs I'd definitely consider it.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Passed on a handle of Fighting Cock with 6yr age statement for $37. I've never tried it and wasn't certain if I wanted to gamble on such a large bottle. I'll be in the area again tomorrow, so any thoughts on whether I should grab it if it's still there? They also had a Booker's "Toogie's Invitation" for $57, and I'm really thinking about picking it up even though I already have 2 in the bunker.

I’d snap buy the FC6! Worst case it stinks and you are out $37 but never need to seek out again. 

51 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That's definitely a strong endorsement! If it's still there tomorrow (it likely will be), I'll probably go ahead and pick it up. 

Yessir, that's a strong buy, IMO.  Expect me to be bidding against Vosgar if you don't like it!!  :D

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yessir, that's a strong buy, IMO.  Expect me to be bidding against Vosgar if you don't like it!!  :D

Damn. I knew I should've pm'd that offer instead of posting it :(

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I bought a mini at the ABC and didn't think it was anything special and certainly nothing to get excited about finding. But that's just me. :)

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I think it's pretty good value especially given what's going on in the bourbon world. 

Not great but a nice middle of the road kind of sipper.

I bought a mini at the ABC and didn't think it was anything special and certainly nothing to get excited about finding. But that's just me. [emoji4]

Ah but did it have the 6yr age statement?

I think this and the HH6yr our my favorite of the HH BIBs 100 proof+, bottom shelters. Well actually I think I like Old Fitz BIB the most but it's the wheat mashbill so I don't count it. That being said I don't like them more than products like OGD BIB, WT101 and BT. These three aren't that much more and I like them to my palate more over all the HH bottom shelters.

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Ah but did it have the 6yr age statement?

Yep, that's the only one they carry.

Yep, that's the only one they carry.

That's cool wouldn't mind having one of these minis of FC6yr minis. I don't intend to buy another fifth but wouldn't mind having one of these if needed for a SBS.

With the rumor that ER store picks are being discontinued next year I went back to pick up a second bottle only to find the price went up to $39.99!! ???? Regular ER $32.99. Was annoyed and did not buy anything.

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

With the rumor that ER store picks are being discontinued next year I went back to pick up a second bottle only to find the price went up to $39.99!! ???? Regular ER $32.99. Was annoyed and did not buy anything.

I went there too. Brought the bottle up to the counter thinking it was 32.99 like all the other bottles. I walked out as well. 

Edited by Whiskeythink.com

13 hours ago, jvd99 said:

A box set of 6 Orphan Barrels for $1399 which was retail price.  

HA! for a second when I read your post I forgot this was the "What did you pass up" thread and was thinking it was the "What did you purchase" thread... I was SOOOO confused that you bought those! :lol:

passed on EC18 for 145 pre tax. I was tempted but ultimately  decided Ive spent too much recently and am still hoping in vain to get ahold of a Stagg or WLW

• I like it 1

On November 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM, smokinjoe said:

On November 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Vosgar said:

Damn. I knew I should've pm'd that offer instead of posting it :(

Unfortunately there won't be a bidding war since I've decided to keep this delicious bottle of goodness! ????????

• I like it 2

Passed hancocks reserve at $63 and $69 ... anyone know MSRP? 

Also passed a shelf of stagg jr at $59.99 as i can find it cheaper next week at my parents. Same store had their OWA at $69.. wanted so badly to tell him i passed on 3 at $29 an hour earlier. 

27 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Also passed a shelf of stagg jr at $59.99 as i can find it cheaper next week at my parents. Same store had their OWA at $69.. wanted so badly to tell him i passed on 3 at $29 an hour earlier. 

Not sure what MSRP is but I paid $42.99 recently at LB.  Think that was pretty close to retail.  If you're really wanting a bottle you may want to make a trip to the LB in Bowling Green KY (if they have some on hand).

• I like it 1

On 11/14/2017 at 7:35 PM, jvd99 said:

A box set of 6 Orphan Barrels for $1399 which was retail price.  

Just game across that here for $2000. The manager was telling me that it was a good deal because two of the bottles in it are worth like $1000- $1200 each. I kindly said I had to pass haha.

The display box was pretty nice though!

58 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

It is $44 or so here in columbia sc

I just stopped in a store (actually a gas station/convenience store) that has always had great selection and pricing..and suddenly pricing has gone crazy. W12 was $100, OWA $50, Stagg Jr. $70, ETL $90, Baby Saz $50. Likely wont be stopping in there anymore.

The other store up the street also had a lot of good stuff as well but with some decent prices. Nothing I needed. They have OFBIB in 750, 1L, and 1.75, Charter 101 but in plastic bottles, Willett Rye and Pot Still, a couple batches of Barrel Bourbon and Rye. Even had KY OWL Rye for probably best price I've seen at $122.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.