What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

I posted this before but I just like to rub it in. :) Actually got 2 at that price but one was for a fellow SBr.

20171121_215637-388x750.jpg

Neener-neener!   Hey, how about those Rams????????  :P

Yeah, I saw that pic and post earlier but the airfare from BOS to STL is just a little more than $11.69!  And I think you guys pay sales tax on hooch, too, IIRC (we don't) - I could be wrong, tho'.  Was in Columbia, MO a couple of years ago officiating at the SEC Swimming Championships and had a great time.   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Passed on Wild Turkey Diamond, Decades and the 17 year.  They're all at reasonable prices, but I haven't read enough good stuff on any of them to make me want to buy one...and I'm a big Wild Turkey fan.  Anyone want to talk some sense into me? ????

Also, not bourbon but passed on Bookers rye at the super low price of $999.

38 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

Passed on Wild Turkey Diamond, Decades and the 17 year.  They're all at reasonable prices, but I haven't read enough good stuff on any of them to make me want to buy one...and I'm a big Wild Turkey fan.  Anyone want to talk some sense into me? ????

Also, not bourbon but passed on Bookers rye at the super low price of $999.

If you're a WT fan and are tempted, go for the Decades. It's by far my favorite of the three. Pricing is always the issue with WT LEs lately but Decades is very good whiskey. And on the pricing note, this time of year people (including myself) seem to readily shell out over $100 per bottle for all the BTAC/VWs/FRLESmB/PHC. Having tasted the majority of the LEs annually over the last 10 years, I'd say that in terms of what's in the glass the Decades holds up just fine and is probably better than quite a few releases. My only gripe is I wish it was $10 cheaper and they didn't bother with the box. 

• I like it 1

Disappoint is setting in for this hunting season. 

Option 1 - Reach grand reserve at TW. Manager told me I still had time, so shelled out a little extra than I had planned and hit Grand Reserve. Called concierge the next morning and they said I was a week late for the cut-off to be on their email list this year.

Option 2 - I got to know and talked to the 'cellar masters' of a local gourmet food chain. One of them told me they would be getting BTAC and that since he knows that I'm in to bourbon he would let me know when it came in. So, I've been calling or stopping in once a week on their delivery day and buying different bottles here and there since September. I talked to him last week and he told me that he was sure they wouldn't be getting it until this week and to call back today. I called this morning and "Oh sorry, the rep hand delivered them on Saturday, so I offered them to my preferred customers for $100/bottle. I don't see you as often as them, so you didn't make the list. We have Blanton's and standard Buffalo Trace though."

Option 3 - I got to know the manager of the LS that is like 5 minutes from my house. He said they were spoken for by customers that typically spend >$1000/mon there, but since I'm a regular, I could get one if I wanted it. I got 'lucky' and showed up not 15 minutes after they were delivered, to which he pulls these from behind the counter. From the sounds of it, even at these prices, I think they will be gone by tomorrow. It was a hard pass for me though. He said the 'new orphan barrel' will be arriving and he will save me a bottle if I want, so I'll have to see what price they throw on that one.

I don't know any other stores locally that will be getting anything for sure, so it seems my hunt for the year may be over. But hey, if they were easy to get, they wouldn't be rare I guess. 

23845729_301359567034656_994379790918833017_o.jpg

Passed on a George Remus Repeal 11 year old.  Don't know anything about it and at the price $79.99 ($44.00 MSRP) wasn't going to pull the trigger.

43 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

Option 1 - Reach grand reserve at TW. Manager told me I still had time, so shelled out a little extra than I had planned and hit Grand Reserve. Called concierge the next morning and they said I was a week late for the cut-off to be on their email list this year.

Option 2 - I got to know and talked to the 'cellar masters' of a local gourmet food chain. One of them told me they would be getting BTAC and that since he knows that I'm in to bourbon he would let me know when it came in. So, I've been calling or stopping in once a week on their delivery day and buying different bottles here and there since September. I talked to him last week and he told me that he was sure they wouldn't be getting it until this week and to call back today. I called this morning and "Oh sorry, the rep hand delivered them on Saturday, so I offered them to my preferred customers for $100/bottle. I don't see you as often as them, so you didn't make the list. We have Blanton's and standard Buffalo Trace though."

Option 3 - I got to know the manager of the LS that is like 5 minutes from my house. He said they were spoken for by customers that typically spend >$1000/mon there, but since I'm a regular, I could get one if I wanted it. I got 'lucky' and showed up not 15 minutes after they were delivered, to which he pulls these from behind the counter. From the sounds of it, even at these prices, I think they will be gone by tomorrow. It was a hard pass for me though. He said the 'new orphan barrel' will be arriving and he will save me a bottle if I want, so I'll have to see what price they throw on that one.

I don't know any other stores locally that will be getting anything for sure, so it seems my hunt for the year may be over. But hey, if they were easy to get, they wouldn't be rare I guess. 

I understand your despair. It can be daunting. Depending on where you are, I am sure there are LE impersonators with which to drown your sorrows. Didn’t get OFBB? 1920 and Statesman are both really good. No BTAC? How about stagg jr or Blanton’s SFTB? Store pick FR barrels do really nicely if you can’t get the FRLEs. Same for ER SPs. I’ve done a SBS with ER and ER17 and I can’t tell much of a difference. Can’t get THH? How about Pikesville 110?  ECBP instead of PH. There is a lot of good whiskey out there. The only consistently difficult find is BT wheat (unless you’re in Texas) but you’re with the rest of the country on that score. 

• I like it 6

16 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I understand your despair. It can be daunting. Depending on where you are, I am sure there are LE impersonators with which to drown your sorrows. Didn’t get OFBB? 1920 and Statesman are both really good. No BTAC? How about stagg jr or Blanton’s SFTB? Store pick FR barrels do really nicely if you can’t get the FRLEs. Same for ER SPs. I’ve done a SBS with ER and ER17 and I can’t tell much of a difference. Can’t get THH? How about Pikesville 110?  ECBP instead of PH. There is a lot of good whiskey out there. The only consistently difficult find is BT wheat (unless you’re in Texas) but you’re with the rest of the country on that score. 

I have plenty to drown my sorrows in haha. 1920, Statesman, Stagg Jr, Blanton's, Weller SR, Weller 12, a handful of random store picks, and a variety of other are sitting on my bar (I have been looking for ECBP locally for another member here, but that has dried up everywhere).

I'm just disgruntled because of the money and time spent building relationships, only for it to be turned over by backhanded favoritism. The hunt for the LEs for me is oddly more about the experience than it is the bourbon itself. I like talking to others with the similar interest and trying things along the way, but when someone essentially strings me along for 3 months, then tells me once the allocation is gone that I just don't meet their standard to be considered a good enough customer, it got under my skin.

There is possibly one other chance to get my hands on something limited, but I won't know for a bit yet, and I don't want to pay $50-$100 for limited pours in the local bars, so it just may have to wait until next year to try it all over again (I know I'll at least get one bottle of something through Total Wine's program next year). 

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

but when someone essentially strings me along for 3 months, then tells me once the allocation is gone that I just don't meet their standard to be considered a good enough customer, it got under my skin.

Learn from this grasshopper and don't take it personally because there is no way you can compete against the bars and restaurants. You may think you're buying a lot but you're up against places that buy by the case and get it delivered by truck driven by 2 Mexicans. Your trunk is no match against that.

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Learn from this grasshopper and don't take it personally because there is no way you can compete against the bars and restaurants. You may think you're buying a lot but you're up against places that buy by the case and get it delivered by truck driven by 2 Mexicans. Your trunk is no match against that.

I think that is why I'm even more aggravated. I kept him on the phone and asked what it would have taken for me to be a more preferred customer. He said it isn't a numbers thing for that particular store (high end grocery store) since he doesn't keep track of purchases like the big liquor stores do - he just doesn't see my face frequently enough for him to consider me a top customer (his store is 45 min away so I visit another location more frequently).

I would be fine losing out to huge spender as the preference there is obvious. But he has been telling me for 3 months that I was on his list if they got any. Such is life!

Passed on Jefferson Reserve 16 year today.  LS never gouges so I am sure the price was fine, but still a bit too rich for my blood.  $180

Saw the new Stagg Jr Batch (131.9 proof) for $119.99, EHT Small Batch for $69.99, EHT Rye for $109.99, and Barrell Whiskey Batch 001 for $99.99. This shop is weird because half their stuff is at or close to retail, and the other half is asininely priced.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I had a LS store two years ago call me with a Pappy20. I told him I'm on my way but he assured me he would hold it until I got there-same day by the way. No dice. I figured he said something and someone offered secondary price. Gone!

By the way...er....what did Mr Markup say when you shot a pic?:D

6 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I had a LS store two years ago call me with a Pappy20. I told him I'm on my way but he assured me he would hold it until I got there-same day by the way. No dice. I figured he said something and someone offered secondary price. Gone!

By the way...er....what did Mr Markup say when you shot a pic?:D

Bunch of crap! I feel it's a fine line for smaller businesses to balance between profits and loyalty - for me, loyalty always wins (lifetime value of a customers is more important than a quick few hundred $).

I actually asked him if he was okay with it before I even pulled out my phone. He didn't mind at all - just asked that I didn't post on social media telling people where I saw it haha. 

A lot of Midwinters for  $100. I got one for $90 and that was pushing it already.

ECBP latest for $99.

OWA for $29, which was admittedly difficult. But I have so many bottles waiting in the back log.

I saw that on the shelf in the Va ABC I was in today. $79.99 for a blend that can’t be called bourbon. Pass.

It’s delicious... whole sale in California is $59

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

Right there with you brother. A lot of dikcs in this buisness. Kind of like real life. 

• I like it 1

Passed I thought about it great deal but I don't want to deal with luggage, next time I'm traveling I'll come prepared.

8c965a2a98cf7bbedcd14cf219713f24.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Passed I thought about it great deal but I don't want to deal with luggage, next time I'm traveling I'll come prepared.

8c965a2a98cf7bbedcd14cf219713f24.jpg

good price, I woulda jumped on that. I travel a lot and agree dealing with luggage can sometimes be a pain, but after scoring some pretty decent stuff on the road and having to check a bag to get it back, hasn't been all that bad. 

23 hours ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

And this is the main reason why I can't wait until supply catches up with demand. When it does, we won't have anymore of this nonsense. 

• I like it 1

Back in the 1990s and first decade of 2000s, I saw all that stuff just sitting on shelves @ retail prices.  I was far too interested in a lot of the nice mid shelf we had back then.  There's no way I'd get into the LE hunt now.  I won't even put my name on a list if offered.

• I like it 2

I passed on Blade and Bow today for $42.50.  I actually had the opportunity to pick up a variety of bottles today for 15% off but told my wife I would take a pass. :blink:  I let her pick up some wine, rum and pre-mixed Egg Nog.  Nothing piqued my interest and I would rather spend my bourbon $ on a few other items.  For example, one of the larger chains in Indy will have a 15% off sale next weekend.  They carry a complete lineup of FR PS SiB, which will be $47.50 on sale.  I also plan to seek out a few more ECBPs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.