What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

50 minutes ago, Scarfinger68 said:

BT and Ginger Ale today. 

IMG_0169.JPG

Me too! The mixer of choice. ;) Good ole G-Ale. Mine with just a blue-collar OGD this tonight. Cheers!

Re-visited a long-time fave this afternoon/evening after being away from it for too long: Old Forester Signature from a family sized jug from several years ago. 

I had moved it off the main runway for space reasons several months ago, and finally put it back into the rotation.    Pretty quickly remembered why it's been a long-time fave!   :P

• I like it 1

1792 FP store pick.... damn this was a great buy for $44.95.  Fantastic juice. Shout out to GCM for an awesome pick

C212DCD9-9D11-4EF9-82FB-A7A0475C28EE.jpeg

• I like it 3

Started the evening off with a pour of 1792 BIB.  Followed that with some WTKS.  Hitting third was OE 7 101 and in the clean up spot was some RR SiB.  The OE narrowly beat out the RR.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Wow, as a bass player and bass and guitar collector, I am absolutely salivating over these Les Pauls! They're all hot, but wow that sunburst is outstanding!

Not to get too off topic from bourbon here, but I thought I'd post a picture of some basses and guitars from my collection, what I call my "other" passion. I also just bought a 1962 Fender Precision bass as an early 50ieth "b-day present to self." It isn't in the photo. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_3572.JPG

My fave is that Rickenbacker on the right.  Sweet.

• I like it 2

On 4/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Wow, as a bass player and bass and guitar collector, I am absolutely salivating over these Les Pauls! They're all hot, but wow that sunburst is outstanding!

Not to get too off topic from bourbon here, but I thought I'd post a picture of some basses and guitars from my collection, what I call my "other" passion. I also just bought a 1962 Fender Precision bass as an early 50ieth "b-day present to self." It isn't in the photo. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_3572.JPG

Woman of the year 2019-        .  

• I like it 2

34 minutes ago, Kepler said:

My fave is that Rickenbacker on the right.  Sweet.

Personally the one on the couch (Lennon model I think) is the one calling me despite the fact that I'm very much a Tele guy in practice. Nice collection @WhiskeyBlender!

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Personally the one on the couch (Lennon model I think) is the one calling me despite the fact that I'm very much a Tele guy in practice. Nice collection @WhiskeyBlender!

@kevinbrink, yes, that's the RIC 325 Capri '58 reissue, just like Lennon's. Mine was made some time in the '90's, I believe. Fortunately it already had the Bigsby tremelo added and not the wimpy Kauffman vibratos that those guitars originally came with. The looks are to die for on it, but quite honestly, it only stays in tune for about 30 seconds before the intonation goes out of whack. Also, even though I have smallish hands, I find it too small to play comfortably. 

If you want to go with the Lennon look but that has good playability in a Ric, I'd highly recommend going with either the 330 like the one I have in the photo above, or going for the 360. Personally, if I had to give all of my guitars away and could only keep one, it would be that 330. Its by far the best guitar I've ever had, with no issues of any sort. And being a semi-hollow body, it sings when played acoustically too. The neck is a player's dream. 

At any rate, to get back on a bourbon subject before I get kicked off for radically changing the subject, I've been working in D.C. at Magnus this week in order to make the final coupe adjustments to my Cigar Blend bourbon. I added a lot of 20 year old bourbon to it this time round, probably more than I've done in a while, in order to give it a fair amount of depth. I'll be helping with the bottling of batches #12 and 13 today. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

1792 FP store pick.... damn this was a great buy for $44.95.  Fantastic juice. Shout out to GCM for an awesome pick

C212DCD9-9D11-4EF9-82FB-A7A0475C28EE.jpeg

I just picked up a store pick last weekend, but I’ve yet to crack it. If it’s anything like their store pick last year, I’m in for a treat. Enjoy.

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Disinfecting my sore throat with two fingers of ECBP.

Did the same thing last night. Felt bad about my pallet being trashed due to the stuffy nose, but it sure did help the throat.

2 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

I just picked up a store pick last weekend, but I’ve yet to crack it. If it’s anything like their store pick last year, I’m in for a treat. Enjoy.

This is a bottle from last year’s pick.... just getting into it now. I’ll go pick up this year’s

Me too! The mixer of choice. [emoji6] Good ole G-Ale. Mine with just a blue-collar OGD this tonight. Cheers!

Give it a go with Goslings Ginger Beer.
Simply Devine!!!

On 4/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, Jfletchgu said:

A little side by side of two Barton BIB. The 1792BIB was the winner, but only slightly. It was difficult to tell much of a difference,but the 1792 was slightly more refined. VOBBIB at less than half the price of the 1792 is still the best value by far.

9607DA42-FF1F-48F0-8945-982CD0284F73.jpeg

Ah yes when this was announced my immediate thought was, why???? VOB bib exists and is excellent so why dilute that fine line for yet another 1792 extension? Then I remembered its Sazerac and they can now tart up the VOB and charge a lot more money, yay. 

On topic WTKS, I need to finish this so I can use it as a decanter.

J.A. Magnus, 100 proof, neat.  Fantastic sipping whiskey

0306181315_HDR.jpg

Edited by Bret Bret
  • I like it 1

D0916E57-CDD8-40DE-8A70-1F15696BCCC9.thumb.jpeg.72009f0b4dda92c9a1fb9088dbc0f07e.jpegI know that this is going to be kinda stupid, but what the hell.  I am lining up a taste test of all my Barrell bourbon’s that I have open at the moment. I opened batch #18 at the LS today and it is damn good.  Results later, if I can still type.....

• I like it 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Last night a little Barrel Aged Manhattan while getting the smoker ready for some pork tenderloins. 

91A52B76-CD34-48AF-96A7-50FECC874EA9.jpeg

That looks and sounds delicious.

1 hour ago, JMFH said:

47545032291_604c69dae3_c.jpg

That looks like a nice healthy pour.  I usually have to go to Virginia to get OGD114.  I'm thinking a trip across the Potomac might be in order.

Having a sample pour of Rhetoric 25 provided by a coworker. When I smelled it earlier today I was surprised by the amount of vanilla on the nose. After pouring into the glencairn I got the oak. Hits the tongue with a sharp blast of wood, then you get a few things in the middle, some corn sweetness, a lot of cocoa and bitter chocolate, maybe a tiny bit of vanilla. Then that oak comes roaring back to finish things off. I like oaky bourbons.  This definitely is that but perhaps just a tad too much. I think the lower proof helps a bit. If this was high proof I think the tannins would take over. 

20190405_194909-784x1613.jpg

Did a SBS of a regular BT and a PS selected for my county DLC. Yes selected for not by, lame.

Regular was brighter with tart cherries and more alcohol on the nose. The PS was richer with more black cherry and not as much alcohol.

On the palate they were similar but the PS had a bigger creamier mouth feel and more burnt brown sugar and apricot and caramel, where the regular was more apple, cinnamon and vanilla.

On the finish the regular was definitely more tannic and drier. The PS the was still burnt brown sugar and caramel.

Sometimes you don’t know what you have until you compare.
IMG_2550.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.