What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a couple of pours of Journeyman Featherbone while watching the Bears-Saints game.

I have to say this Michigan made Bourbon is mighty tasty and drinking it almost made the Bears game

seem...............Pleasant!!!!

Almost

10 hours ago, yobber76 said:

I had a couple of pours of Journeyman Featherbone while watching the Bears-Saints game.

I have to say this Michigan made Bourbon is mighty tasty and drinking it almost made the Bears game

seem...............Pleasant!!!!

Almost

Besides the whiskey, Graham’s great one handed TD catch on the final play, his dropping the ball and immediate departure down the tunnel, and the thought that not kicking the extra point had such positive and negative impacts on people made up for it!      😂

It’s VG “The Fox” in the glass for me tonight.  

7E21FAD9-5E5F-47BD-85E2-A8B32E1721CF.jpeg

• I like it 3

Days like this call for a big, fat, thick, and juicy pour of GBS WTRR.  Love the long and chewy finish on this.  

FE407E11-F77D-43FD-8D93-CC12ED2AA906.jpeg

• I like it 7

It was a very frustrating day for me at work today. 🤬 It was equally as frustrating after I got home. 🤯 Long story.

Anyway, WSR is hitting on all cylinders for me this evening.  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

A day of running errands.  I stopped into several liquor stores that I passed.  Nothing interesting enough to add to the bar so, Stagg Jr. b14 is is tonight.

• I like it 1

Crazy start to the week.  Decided to treat myself to bourbon and a donut.  Tonight's pours were OF100 and Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  Time for a Jack's donut.  Not my favorite but still enjoyable.  Anything with yeast, cinnamon and glaze after solid pours of bourbon is a winner.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

The wife and I finally got to celebrate Christmas with my family this past Saturday. The reason for tge delay was the obvious (middle finger to you, Covid). My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew had it. They're all fine now.

Anyway, the reason for bringing that up...the wife made a pumpkin pie for it. Tonight I'm having the final piece with a pour of EW BIB. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

• I like it 8

Made some progress on a few work fronts today, so decided to pour

myself a little dusty treat (bottle pic from when it was opened, but not finished, last month).  1983 glass date on the bottom......

3072DEC6-A62C-429F-8005-91167183435D.jpeg

• I like it 6

17 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

The wife and I finally got to celebrate Christmas with my family this past Saturday. The reason for tge delay was the obvious (middle finger to you, Covid). My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew had it. They're all fine now.

Anyway, the reason for bringing that up...the wife made a pumpkin pie for it. Tonight I'm having the final piece with a pour of EW BIB. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

Merry Christmas sir!

Opened the evening with RRSiB. Always a winner.

Now onto JB BP Rye. Amazing. Syrupy. No Banana. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

Opening the weekend by revisiting an old friend.  At one time, OCPR was in my Top 5.  Though, the plethora of great bourbons has pushed it down a bit, it’s not for any lack of deliciousness. Its nice oak backbone supporting a beautiful Goetze’s Caramel Cream full body is smack dab in my wheelhouse.  I’ll be back to this again tonight, for sure.  😋

142F9BE1-9AF5-47AB-A5C9-A3B66433EF04.jpeg

• I like it 7

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Opening the weekend by revisiting an old friend.  At one time, OCPR was in my Top 5.  Though, the plethora of great bourbons has pushed it down a bit, it’s not for any lack of deliciousness. Its nice oak backbone supporting a beautiful Goetze’s Caramel Cream full body is smack dab in my wheelhouse.  I’ll be back to this again tonight, for sure.  😋

One word - Awesome!

My pour tonight is Four Roses Single Barrel while watching the US Figure Skating Championships.  I hope my drinking bourbon allows me to keep my man card.  Hey, it is better than a Hallmark movie.  There is suspense since I don't know the ending.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My pour tonight is Four Roses Single Barrel while watching the US Figure Skating Championships.  I hope my drinking bourbon allows me to keep my man card.  Hey, it is better than a Hallmark movie.  There is suspense since I don't know the ending.

I believe this is acceptable. I sometimes watch The Bachelor/The Bachelorette with my wife. Am I proud of it? No. Is it acceptable? I'm not an attorney, but I could argue both sides. 

It's like eating fast food: there's a lot of trash in there to make it satisfying at the time, but I feel defeated afterwards. 

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I believe this is acceptable. I sometimes watch The Bachelor/The Bachelorette with my wife. Am I proud of it? No. Is it acceptable? I'm not an attorney, but I could argue both sides. 

It's like eating fast food: there's a lot of trash in there to make it satisfying at the time, but I feel defeated afterwards. 

Defeated defines me when it comes to movie and television choices.  I find it easier to drink, surf the net and let what my wife enjoys to drone on in the back ground.  She doesn't question my bourbon choices and I don't DARE question her entertainment choices.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Defeated defines me when it comes to movie and television choices.  I find it easier to drink, surf the net and let what my wife enjoys to drone on in the back ground.  She doesn't question my bourbon choices and I don't - DARE - question her entertainment choices.

wise choice.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sighhhhhhhhhhh..............

The steak and chop house that used to be across the street from my office had this and other treats such as Old Charter BIB's at various ages and AAA107. There are others I can't remember.

The best part? They didn't know these were great so they were priced at 6-8$ a pour.

The other best part? Because they were a steak and chop sports bar, none of the whiskey nerds in town knew what they had.

I enjoyed so many of these pours and the others after work over the years. Got to know the bar manager well and he once took me into the basement to show me the full bunker. Oh.....my.......God.

Then some developer bought the building and decided to do seismic upgrades which forced the lease terminations of everyone in the building.

They never found a new location to reopen. 

Damn I wish I knew where their stash was located.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Sighhhhhhhhhhh..............

The steak and chop house that used to be across the street from my office had this and other treats such as Old Charter BIB's at various ages and AAA107. There are others I can't remember.

The best part? They didn't know these were great so they were priced at 6-8$ a pour.

The other best part? Because they were a steak and chop sports bar, none of the whiskey nerds in town knew what they had.

I enjoyed so many of these pours and the others after work over the years. Got to know the bar manager well and he once took me into the basement to show me the full bunker. Oh.....my.......God.

Then some developer bought the building and decided to do seismic upgrades which forced the lease terminations of everyone in the building.

They never found a new location to reopen. 

Damn I wish I knew where their stash was located.

Wow.  I’ve never found a hidden gem bar like that.  I would have sobbed like a baby when that shut down.  😢. Speaking of the Charter BIB, one of my favorites is the 7 yr.  I found a couple in a store in South Carolina several years ago.  Bottle indicates ‘71.  Sipping tonight and it is an avalanche of butterscotch.  If tasted blind, I would have guessed dusty Old Taylor.  A bit of raisiny sweetness and cinnamon on the back end.  This bottle is getting down on fill, and it still tastes great. On a side note, this is one of the most handsome bottles I’ve owned.  Besides the classic label with a little satin sash bling, the embossed glass is stunning.  

CBACA40B-0229-440F-A738-26C6FC7593B0.jpeg

093E1302-B25C-4B4C-B5EF-C02F4628AE77.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 1/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, smokinjoe said:

Besides the whiskey, Graham’s great one handed TD catch on the final play, his dropping the ball and immediate departure down the tunnel, and the thought that not kicking the extra point had such positive and negative impacts on people made up for it!      😂

It’s VG “The Fox” in the glass for me tonight.  

7E21FAD9-5E5F-47BD-85E2-A8B32E1721CF.jpeg

I found my last bottle of The Fox in a local deli about two years after it was discontinued/replaced by the Bowman line. MAN! I miss it.  A.S. Bowman Distillery has told me multiple times that the Bowman Brothers Pioneer Spirit Small Batch is its successor.  For some reason, though, the old squat bottle made it taste "better".  ASIDE - I wonder if John is still dumping the barrels.  He's been doing it since the late 1970s.

Some cheapy Old Ezra 90 proof while enjoying an episode of “The Wire” in my new bourbon and cigar man corner in the garage.

1D1E6144-B8DD-497D-9338-7B8AB0DA118B.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Wow.  I’ve never found a hidden gem bar like that.  I would have sobbed like a baby when that shut down.  😢. Speaking of the Charter BIB, one of my favorites is the 7 yr.  I found a couple in a store in South Carolina several years ago.  Bottle indicates ‘71.  Sipping tonight and it is an avalanche of butterscotch.  If tasted blind, I would have guessed dusty Old Taylor.  A bit of raisiny sweetness and cinnamon on the back end.  This bottle is getting down on fill, and it still tastes great. On a side note, this is one of the most handsome bottles I’ve owned.  Besides the classic label with a little satin sash bling, the embossed glass is stunning.  

CBACA40B-0229-440F-A738-26C6FC7593B0.jpeg

093E1302-B25C-4B4C-B5EF-C02F4628AE77.jpeg

That OCBIB in your photo is one that they had a lot of thought it wasn't from the 70's! (I bet that's amazing).

I was close to sobbing and tried every way I could think of to convince them to sell me some of those bottles to no avail.

What was so great about this place is they had figured out how popular PVW and BTAC had become and had raised prices accordingly.

The high rollers would buy those while ignoring all the dusties. I'd sit at the bar and laugh while drinking these amazing whiskies from yesteryear at a fraction of the price.

They were intent on finding a new location and reopening. Alas that never happened. Those bottles are sitting in storage somewhere and that makes me sad.

• I like it 2

51 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Some cheapy Old Ezra 90 proof while enjoying an episode of “The Wire” in my new bourbon and cigar man corner in the garage.

nice spot. best series ever!!

56 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

That Ezra 90 is a real under the radar goodie.  I pick it up once/twice a year for about $15 for a family size.  A lot more to it than the price would lead one to believe.  Totally dig your corner of whiskey/cigar Nirvana there, too!  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.