What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Winter 2020)

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, tomorrow is Thursday already.  Going simple, with an EWBIB over a couple of cubes.  

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Wow, tomorrow is Thursday already.  Going simple, with an EWBIB over a couple of cubes.  

And this too shall work. 👍

• I like it 1

William Heavenhill BIB to go with some end of day paperwork.  Really nice texture to this whiskey.  Silky but with a light tingliness over the tongue.  On a side note, outside of Marekv8, I may be the most unabashed admirer of a bottles dressing.  And, I’ll freely admit, the look and feel of a well done package can enhance my enjoyment of its contents.  The label on this bottle is very nice, in that respect.  🙂

0CBA7769-D9F5-43F3-9382-1840AA1CBF6F.jpeg

• I like it 10

I poured this in the semi-dark, and I’m thinking I went a little too heavy with the MM46... 🤪. It’s OK though, as I’m out back with an Oliva Master Blends 3 on a cold and breezy night.  I’ll need all this good whiskey to keep me warm... 🥶 

E5CCCB4D-5C41-4365-83C9-58F910C18F2E.jpeg

• I like it 5

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I poured this in the semi-dark, and I’m thinking I went a little too heavy with the MM46... 🤪. It’s OK though, as I’m out back with an Oliva Master Blends 3 on a cold and breezy night.  I’ll need all this good whiskey to keep me warm... 🥶 

E5CCCB4D-5C41-4365-83C9-58F910C18F2E.jpeg

If a little is good, a lot must be great!

• I like it 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, smokinjoe said:

William Heavenhill BIB to go with some end of day paperwork.  Really nice texture to this whiskey.  Silky but with a light tingliness over the tongue.  On a side note, outside of Marekv8, I may be the most unabashed admirer of a bottles dressing.  And, I’ll freely admit, the look and feel of a well done package can enhance my enjoyment of its contents.  The label on this bottle is very nice, in that respect.  🙂

0CBA7769-D9F5-43F3-9382-1840AA1CBF6F.jpeg

I’m in total agreement about packaging. A bottle’s look is part of the experience for me. 

OK, I give up.  Had my 4th pour from the bottle of Old Tub I got (one pour today, and the others on 3 separate occasions).  Still just doesn’t appeal to my palate, so it’s destined for bringing to a future get-together with other bottles for my buddies to try out.  

Switched to VOB100, and now I’m in a happier place.....

• I like it 4

Pulled this out of the bunker.  The last Bluegrass in there.  Downproofing with WSR (thank you Weller whores, you know who you are). Haven't put a Bookers in there since that stupid price hike and probably won't since there's plenty of great bourbon out there for less $$$.  Stay safe, stay calm and enjoy life.

Cheers!

0108212058.jpg

• I like it 3

I just gotta say  that I love what upping the proof to 101 has done to Makers Mark.   Just a tasty sip with a doggone  nice hug for a wheater.  

• I like it 5

48 minutes ago, parksmart said:

OK, I give up.  Had my 4th pour from the bottle of Old Tub I got (one pour today, and the others on 3 separate occasions).  Still just doesn’t appeal to my palate, so it’s destined for bringing to a future get-together with other bottles for my buddies to try out.  

It's just so peanutty!   Sometimes I'm in the mood for that,  but not that often.    My bottle is going slow.   But so did my last bottle of Bookers.    

21 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

It's just so peanutty!   Sometimes I'm in the mood for that,  but not that often.    My bottle is going slow.   But so did my last bottle of Bookers.    

I got little in the way of JB peanutty funk from this.  Here’s my SbSbS of when I first poured the OT, and compared to JB DC and SB:

Decided to compare JB Distillers Cut with Old Tub BIB and JB SiB PS (Costco pick).  Half pours of each went into identical glasses, and allowed to breathe for 15 mins as the OT and JB SiB were both from newly opened bottles.  First sip of each was preceded with a quick sip/swish of Crystal Geyser bottles still water.  In order of consumption:

DC - easily one of my fave budget pours, and the final pours from the current bottle didn’t fail me.  Signature Beam peanut wrapped in caramel and orange zest on the palate to a long, warm finish.  No off notes whatsoever.  

OT - this drank “cooler” and more muted than the DC, with a peppery dill and lemon as the predominant notes.  Made me wonder if this would be interesting as part of a salmon brine.  I’m glad I have just a single bottle of this, as I don’t expect future pours to improve to where I’d consider drinking this instead of JB DC. 

SiB PS - peanut, orange and a little cocoa.  Better than the OT.  Not as good as the DC.  Bought a 6-pack of these when they were marked down at the Costco that did the barrel pick.  Cost

ended up being similar to JB DC, so these are more likely to be gifted than consumed.  

If you haven’t figured it out by now, JB DC is a helluva QPR IMO....... ?

E88F671B-5BF1-4332-9EC1-048A5236805B.jpeg

• I like it 2

Interesting , Parksmart-  I am sipping an OT right now and it's as peanutty as I'd recalled.    I have a bunkered Distiller's Cut that I'll have to crack to compare.   

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

I could not agree more.

Had a neat pour of EC BP B520 last night, getting close to the end of that bottle. Found a bottle of C920 for $60, haven't opened it yet. I hope it's as good as this one.

16 hours ago, parksmart said:

Is that an older bottle of VOB100 or can you still buy it in California?

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Is that an older bottle of VOB100 or can you still buy it in California?

It’s the newer NAS version.  Amazingly, there’s one place here that seems to get a somewhat regular supply of both VOB90 as well as 100.  Bunkered multiple bottles of each in the past year, expecting that train will eventually stop running......p

4 minutes ago, parksmart said:

It’s the newer NAS version.  Amazingly, there’s one place here that seems to get a somewhat regular supply of both VOB90 as well as 100.  Bunkered multiple bottles of each in the past year, expecting that train will eventually stop running......p

Nice! That one is so hard to find anymore.

This landed on my doorstep today. With playoff football I couldn’t resist a small pour. Mmmm all those red summer fruits on the nose. Sweet and syrupy on the palate and the finish is where the proof finally shows with a burnt caramel finish and nice hug. It’s a good one. :) 

2E5E4712-A463-4104-ACCC-8749016B6B23.jpeg

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This landed on my doorstep today. With playoff football I couldn’t resist a small pour. Mmmm all those red summer fruits on the nose. Sweet and syrupy on the palate and the finish is where the proof finally shows with a burnt caramel finish and nice hug. It’s a good one. :) 

2E5E4712-A463-4104-ACCC-8749016B6B23.jpeg

Me likee, too!   😋

The last of a 2013 Birthday Bourbon in the glass.  A solid year for this release.  Bad news is that it’s gone.  Good news is that it’s departure opens up 3 spots on the bar... 😁

4742F298-170A-4C8D-A6A0-1A5A2374FE78.jpeg

• I like it 11

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

The last of a 2013 Birthday Bourbon in the glass.  A solid year for this release.  Bad news is that it’s gone.  Good news is that it’s departure opens up 3 spots on the bar... 😁

4742F298-170A-4C8D-A6A0-1A5A2374FE78.jpeg

LOL! That is the one thing that is good about finishing one!

Sipping on a little EC NAS PS while making dinner.  Pretty good flavor, but a lot more thin and a lot less oak than I remember from off the shelf EC12

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, BottledInBond said:

Tried the 2020 OFBB. I’m not a fan at all based on first impression. I feel like this one is living on reputation and tradition currently. Unfortunately a lot of people that treat it like a unicorn bottle just want to put it on their shelf anyway, so maybe the actual taste doesn’t that matter to a lot of the current buyers....

On 12/29/2020 at 6:41 PM, PaulO said:

The last OFBB I bought was 2009 and I paid $39.99.  It had a 12 year age statement and was 90 something proof.  It was not awful, but not really good either.  It was obviously OF juice, but with a dry and tannic aftertaste.  Honestly, I thought OF Signature at that time was a much tastier whiskey, regardless of price.

Count me as a loyal fan of the Birthday Bourbon.  To my palate, the only thing the various Old Forester offerings lack is just a touch of oakiness, and only the Birthday expression seems to be aged long enough to offer that.  I'm definitely not an "oak hound" and don't typically go for over-aged bourbons (EC18, etc.) but I do appreciate at least a touch of oak.

But if OF would ever offer an 8 to 10 year version of the 1920 or the PS, look out. I'd line up for that.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

Watching Bears and Saints with a pour of EWBIB.  Definitely, a bit rougher than the old 6 yr HH BIB, but there is a really appealing burnt-corner-of-brownie-pan element to it that reminds me of some OGD 114s.  This is good, almost to the point that the brownie note makes up for its brashness and may allow me to move on without the HH 6 available.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.