What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

52 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My wife and I stopped in at a local Meijer today.  While she shopped for a few grocery items, I strolled over to the liquor department.  No expectations just browsing.  While I was there a woman walked up pretty close to me, which a common occurrence for me so I thought nothing of it. 😜 She had a bottle in her hand and was looking intently at the shelf.  She didn't look like she worked at the store so I ask her if she was looking for something thinking maybe I could help her out.  Apparently, she did work there.  She said she found a limited release bottle on the shelf in the back that they had forgot to put on the shelf.  I glanced over a little closer and saw a big W on the bottle.  So I asked her what she had.  It was a bottle of W12.  In my area, I have a better chance of seeing Sasquatch than any Weller product.  I told her I would take it.  She was more than happy to hand it over.  

By the time we sorted this out, apparently several people had started gathering around us.  I heard others ask if she had any more which she didn't.  I got out of there quickly.  If she had brought it out 10 seconds earlier or I had gotten there 10 seconds later, I would have missed out and probably never even known it.  

Resized_20210123_150638.jpeg

Chicks dig the Steel guys.  🙌

E6CE39DF-E356-4C51-9C99-D32A7F3C048F.png

• I like it 3

24 minutes ago, parksmart said:

So torture us further with how much Meijer charged you for it...... 🤪

$63.49.  I believe the MSRP is $40. I recall some local LS lottery prices significantly higher than MSRP.  The grocery store chains in Indy typically don't mark up significantly.  

I paid around $25 for the last bottle I found in Indiana.  That was probably 2013.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

As a copper industry veteran, I can assure you it does not go for all metallics.  

Edited by Bourbon Boiler
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Man, you know it even when they are old and rusty.  The steel guys not the chicks. 😀  

I seem to recall your commenting about WL12 sometimes having a sootiness.  I still have a few bottles from the 2013 time frame and always thought they had that characteristic as well.  For this reason and also the higher proof, I have always preferred OWA

However, I opened the new bottle tonight.  This is the first WL12 I have had since the bottle design change.  While I like the older WL12 despite the sootiness, I always found it a minor ding on how I viewed it.  I was pleasantly surprised by the newer version.  It had a nice creamy entry with a spicy yet slightly sweet apple pie profile.  The finish was nice but not long.  I didn't get the heavy oak I recall from WL12.  Overall, very enjoyable and no sootiness.  I still would prefer 10 year/101 proof.  But, I don't get to make that call.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

As a copper industry veteran, I can assure you it does not go for all metallics.  

My company also has a copper division.  Copper is a soft metal, right?  Sorry, I just had to.  Hey, I have copper in my house.

42 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Man, you know it even when they are old and rusty.  The steel guys not the chicks. 😀  

I seem to recall your commenting about WL12 sometimes having a sootiness.  I still have a few bottles from the 2013 time frame and always thought they had that characteristic as well.  For this reason and also the higher proof, I have always preferred OWA

However, I opened the new bottle tonight.  This is the first WL12 I have had since the bottle design change.  While I like the older WL12 despite the sootiness, I always found it a minor ding on how I viewed it.  I was pleasantly surprised by the newer version.  It had a nice creamy entry with a spicy yet slightly sweet apple pie profile.  The finish was nice but not long.  I didn't get the heavy oak I recall from WL12.  Overall, very enjoyable and no sootiness.  I still would prefer 10 year/101 proof.  But, I don't get to make that call.

Yep - Joe has mentioned that numerous times and I agree with him. I still have 6 bottles from that era and had not had any era of Weller 12 until this past Christmas when I opened a fairly recent one (with new label) and I agree with your tasting notes and that no sootiness is present.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My company also has a copper division.  Copper is a soft metal, right?  Sorry, I just had to.  Hey, I have copper in my house.

We do plenty of steel as well.  Sometimes it seems like we could recreate the famous George Carlin piece where he compares football and baseball with our arguments of steel and copper.  

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It's Saturday. Had to make a Costco run. Every time I go there a bottle of EWSB jumps in my cart. No idea how that happens...(bought a bottle of WT101 last night...haven't had any Turkey around in awhile...for $21 at Woodmans that never disappoints!) :D 

TP

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Clueby said:

I have still not made a 2021 bourbon purchase. 🙅‍♂️

Very telling that this post has zero 'likes'.  SB collectively does not approve.  😜

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Yep - Joe has mentioned that numerous times and I agree with him. I still have 6 bottles from that era and had not had any era of Weller 12 until this past Christmas when I opened a fairly recent one (with new label) and I agree with your tasting notes and that no sootiness is present.

I don't have any Weller 12 from 2013 and I've never noticed sootiness from W12 myself.  Interestingly I have lots of bottles from 2016 from back when I was building up most of my bunker.  And the special note that sticks out from those W12 is a distinct cotton candy note.  It's on the nose and palate.  Love it.   I've never tried recent batches since the new bottle & label change, so I don't know if current W12 still has the cotton candy note.

• I like it 1

Picked up a 750 of regular Old Forester 100.   This one had the little sample of simple syrup for old fashioneds attached to the neck.  That was all the excuse I needed to go ahead and pick it up.  What can I say.  I think those appeared last fall but I didn't need an extra then.  But since then I had to replenish an OF100 that I brought to a friend's gathering in December.  

17 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Cuz it’s cool lol.

Picked up a handle of EWBIB for my old man, we are running out of handles here in PA, not good.

I stopped in a Pa store on Friday - holy cow there was nothing left.   Have never seen a liquor store 75% empty.   The bars being closed has had an impact on the drink at home buyer?   Either way its bad.

Paid for these in a pre-sale back in July but picked them up today.  I hope that still qualifies for this thread.

20210124_134930.jpg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Paid for these in a pre-sale back in July but picked them up today.  I hope that still qualifies for this thread.

20210124_134930.jpg

I really like both of these expressions, at least the single barrels I got in Ohio.

4 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

20210124_134930.jpg

And they are sitting on a box of ass. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 4

34 minutes ago, Clueby said:

And they are sitting on a box of ass. 🤷‍♂️

LMAO! Reminds me of a pack of glass wipes I have in the center console of my suv. The way I have it stuffed in my console,  it looks like it’s a pack of  “ass wipes”.

Biba! Joe

D49F500B-4DC2-44B0-A85B-B33DD8FF3D25.jpeg

• I like it 4

Bought a 750 of VOB today for $15.99 + tax.  Not glamorous, but it occurred to me how often I paid four times as much for something I enjoyed half as well.  

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

Bought a 750 of VOB today for $15.99 + tax.  Not glamorous, but it occurred to me how often I paid four times as much for something I enjoyed half as well.  

Pretty sure VOB is closer to the 11-12 dollar range in ky at least around me. Not that 3-4 bucks makes a difference.

23 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I stopped in a Pa store on Friday - holy cow there was nothing left.   Have never seen a liquor store 75% empty.   The bars being closed has had an impact on the drink at home buyer?   Either way its bad.

Yeah, no idea, it's been bad lately though.  You can't even buy stuff online anymore.  Regularly available stuff like 1.75L of KC aren't even around on the FWGS website.

Did not purchase but “won” a Stagg JR Batch 12 and it showed up in the mail yesterday... Not bad for a $5 donation 

475031DC-EA04-48AD-8550-45CEEEDD099A.jpeg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.