What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Local had two Maker's stave experiment barrels. Yeah, I know what they're called. :) One of the two took my breath on sip 1 & 2. It was the damnest  high rye taste and totally unbelievable for a wheater. Spice 11 on a scale of 10 with the distinctive spearmint tingle finish. To be honest I'm not sure how much I'll like it, but it was so unique I had to pick it up to revisit several more times. Looks like the mocha is out?

IMG_1772.thumb.jpg.498658a1218dfbec1bc704845242d711.jpg

I have had wheated bourbons that if tasted in a blind taste test I would have sworn they were high rye.  I will say that even with experimental stave mixes, MM46 PS are usually pretty good.  Standard MM46, meh.  I really believe MM sings at a higher proof whether 101 proof, cask strength or MM46 PS.

I picked up a KC12 today, first time I've seen it sitting on a shelf in what must be close to a year.   Maybe I'm exaggerating but it's been a long time since I saw it.

Also picked up a liter bottle of Mellow Corn for some mixing.  I had a 750 bottle but I'm a sucker for good deals on 1 liters.  

• I like it 2

This has been a good week. We purchased a bottle of Russells Reserve 13 Year,  ORWV at retail, and these amazing bottles!

Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 37 and a cask strength,  single barrel release of St. Augustine bourbon. It is their oldest barrel released to date, coming in at 6 years, 160 days & 118.5 proof. They used char #1 Missouri oak for this barrel and I think the lower char level helped keep it from being over oaked.

Huge shout out to @WhiskeyBlender for the continued excellence with the Cigar Blend.

20210619_145516.jpg

20210619_144030.jpg

• I like it 5

When you walk into a store without a plan and impulse buy. Going to post something similar in the Foreign whiskey thread. Walked out with six bottles total.

20210619_164030.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

This has been a good week. We purchased a bottle of Russells Reserve 13 Year,  ORWV at retail, and these amazing bottles!

Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 37 and a cask strength,  single barrel release of St. Augustine bourbon. It is their oldest barrel released to date, coming in at 6 years, 160 days & 118.5 proof. They used char #1 Missouri oak for this barrel and I think the lower char level helped keep it from being over oaked.

Huge shout out to @WhiskeyBlender for the continued excellence with the Cigar Blend.

20210619_145516.jpg

20210619_144030.jpg

Have I had one drink too many or is that St. Augustine decal on upside down? 🤔🤪

Nice score on the JMCB and the RR13.

Cheap Bastard went back to pick up more bottles on the 20% off sale at a local chain.  Ended up with a KC12, 1792 SiB, and a WTR 101.  

Similar to @Kepler, I hadn't seen KC12 in a while.  I didn't get one back when they came out last winter.  It seems like it was a little under $50 back then.  I got it for $51.99.  The 1792 SiB was less than the last one I bought.  The star pickup was the WTR.  I grabbed it for $16.99.  It is a 750 ml.  The shelf price for the 1L is $44.99.  

I plan to head to another store in the chain tomorrow.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Edd said:

When you walk into a store without a plan and impulse buy. Going to post something similar in the Foreign whiskey thread. Walked out with six bottles total.

20210619_164030.jpg

Six is better than three.  Good deal!

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Haha, I noticed that.  Maybe it's like Miller and Budweiser used to be in the '80s.  The workers were allowed to drink the product at lunch.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

You see correctly.  Since we filled the bottle right out of the barrel, we also had the task of applying the label ourselves. So, of course,  we put it on upside down to make it one of a kind.

• I like it 2

I'm down in Palm Beach, and there's a liquor store here that has a very good selection. They have several store picks, and a knowledgeable staff.  They have an Angel's Envy store pick that really has me intrigued. $99.00

He told me that they rarely do these and his is one of only two barrels that AE has done.  Not sure if he's BS'ing me about that, or not, but they have quite a few picks and the pricing doesn't seem obscene. I might be bringing home a bottle

A new bourbon buddy contacted me from a liquor store he was at and scored me several bottles of ECBP C919. 

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, MTNBourbon said:

From today.

20210620_161000.jpg

Two awesome whiskeys!  I really love the rye but don't see it much any more.  It was everywhere and now no where.  I have actually noticed occasional absences of OF100 recently.  

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm down in Palm Beach, and there's a liquor store here that has a very good selection. They have several store picks, and a knowledgeable staff.  They have an Angel's Envy store pick that really has me intrigued. $99.00

He told me that they rarely do these and his is one of only two barrels that AE has done.  Not sure if he's BS'ing me about that, or not, but they have quite a few picks and the pricing doesn't seem obscene. I might be bringing home a bottle

I believe the Store Pick program is fairly new.  Maybe since late 2020?  I have never seen an AE store pick in Indy.  However, I have seen reviews online so some stores must have offered them.  From what I have read, the unique thing about their store picks is the retailer can select the proof.  It doesn't have to be the standard proof or barrel proof.  Based on prices I have seen, most are in the $100 range.  It would be good if they have samples available so you can try before you buy.

• I like it 1

I was a bad boy today. Like some others here, I noted that KC12 was back in stock locally. I wasn't going to be able to get out until later in the afternoon so I place a web order with TW for 3 and got them. When I went to pick them up I shopped around because of course I did and came home with a RRSiB (standard) a 4RSmB Select, and a MM101. Stopped by my local on the way home and snagged a RR10yr and a Bradshaw Bourbon.

Yes, I fell prey to a celebrity bourbon. Price wasn't bad and the proof is 103.something so I figured I'd give it a go. Though I'm a Browns fan now, I was a diehard Steelers fan back in the Bradshaw days. (Long story, if you want to know I'll tell you).

Anyway - dammit. It's not bad but is sooo corn forward so it's young. It will do fine in cocktails.

• I like it 4

16 minutes ago, flahute said:

I was a bad boy today. Like some others here, I noted that KC12 was back in stock locally. I wasn't going to be able to get out until later in the afternoon so I place a web order with TW for 3 and got them. When I went to pick them up I shopped around because of course I did and came home with a RRSiB (standard) a 4RSmB Select, and a MM101. Stopped by my local on the way home and snagged a RR10yr and a Bradshaw Bourbon.

Yes, I fell prey to a celebrity bourbon. Price wasn't bad and the proof is 103.something so I figured I'd give it a go. Though I'm a Browns fan now, I was a diehard Steelers fan back in the Bradshaw days. (Long story, if you want to know I'll tell you).

Anyway - dammit. It's not bad but is sooo corn forward so it's young. It will do fine in cocktails.

Great pickups all around including the Bradshaw Bourbon.  Funny thing is I was just watching Celebrity Family Feud with the Bradshaw clan vs. the Snider clan (Dee Snider, Twisted Sister).  My first thought when seeing Terry was "This should be good."  My second thought was "I wonder what his bourbon tastes like." 

Enjoyed my first pours of KC12 tonight.  I have noted your reviews and anxiously waited for its return.  I finally found one and in Cheap Bastard's price range.  Solid addition to the bourbon cabinet.

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Great pickups all around including the Bradshaw Bourbon.  Funny thing is I was just watching Celebrity Family Feud with the Bradshaw clan vs. the Snider clan (Dee Snider, Twisted Sister).  My first thought when seeing Terry was "This should be good."  My second thought was "I wonder what his bourbon tastes like." 

Enjoyed my first pours of KC12 tonight.  I have noted your reviews and anxiously waited for its return.  I finally found one and in Cheap Bastard's price range.  Solid addition to the bourbon cabinet.

Oh man! I bet that was a hilarious Feud. True story, I went to high school with Dee Snider's cousin.

Happy to hear the KC12 made the Cheap Bastard's approved list! I love the stuff.

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Two awesome whiskeys!  I really love the rye but don't see it much any more.  It was everywhere and now no where.  I have actually noticed occasional absences of OF100 recently.  

A bunch of it around here. Is this the old signature? Not sure? Big fan of the OF Signature. First time with the OF Rye, I believe.

Edited by MTNBourbon

3 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

A bunch of it around here. Is this the old signature? Not sure? Big fan of the OF Signature. First time with the OF Rye, I believe.

I believe OF Signature was rebranded as OF100.  The last several bottles of OF100 I have bought were excellent both in flavor and value.  I have only had a couple of bottles of OF Rye.  It was plentiful when first released but I haven't seen it since.  Both are very enjoyable and reasonably priced.

• I like it 1

Good to know, it's been awhile since I've bought some new stuff. Use to see OGD 114, Eagle Rare around here all the time. The last couple of weeks nothing. Hopefully the OGD 114 shows up again, awesome bourbon for the price around here.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Would love to hear the story!

• I like it 1

There was an absolute miracle dump on Friday and Saturday afternoon at our Goody Goody in Little Elm, TX this weekend. Was able to pick up a 1.75 L of Eagle Rare and a Blanton's with a May 2021 dump date. The catch was that it was one per person (my wife was there so we could get the two), and they bundled the ER and Blanton's with a bottle of Old Soul or Kelsey Creek. That's fine with me as I believe those two will be fine for old fashioneds.

They also had a bundle with Weller 12, but I already had some Weller 12 so I went with the ER and Blanton's. 

Store had a lottery to be able to buy some Old Rip Van Winkle, but not surprisingly I DID NOT win that one. :P 

It was a good weekend.

IMG_20210618_171352.jpeg

• I like it 2

L&K pick WFP microbatch w/challenge coin.  Gonna' go back tomorrow and beg for more!  ☺️

• I like it 4

Tried a different store, got a few extra bottles. With these, I'm up to 19 unopened in the collection.

IMG_0123.thumb.jpeg.0798bdfc4bf6769788bdfbc63ce4e1db.jpeg

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, GeeTen said:

L&K pick WFP microbatch w/challenge coin.  Gonna' go back tomorrow and beg for more!  ☺️

I think we need pics.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.