What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

BT on ice at ATL Sky Club.  Forgot small bills leaving house, but on the ball enough to hit up ATM in concourse to get some $20’s before heading up to Sky Club . Bar tender even more on the ball as he had Prepackaged wads of twenty bucks in small bills ready to exchange.  👍🏻$5 back for his trouble…🙂. The symbiotic relationship at work here is God’s Good Hand at work.  😁

It's like you two were made for each other.  Mrssmokinjoe better watch out!

8 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520 Batch (63.6% ABV) vs. B521 Batch (59.1% ABV). Tasted blind but maybe it was a little unfair to the B521 since it was a fresh bottle crack. The lower proof stood out on the B521 but damn the B520 blew it out. First sips on each one the B520 had that wow reaction, flavors were so much richer. But again, maybe the B521 didn’t have proper time to open up. 

I'm also a little disappointed in B521.  Not that it's bad; it's pretty good.  It just lacks that "wow" factor that most batches have.  It reminds me somewhat of an off the shelf Knob Creek Reserve SiB. 

• I like it 1

On 10/31/2021 at 11:47 PM, apt43bear said:

Oh hahah I never noticed that.  Not sure who bottles this one but starts with a “D”

To me it's either Diane, Diana or Duane.  Sarah needs to give this person some penmanship lessons... 

• I like it 3

The floral notes of the Q are quite present in this year’s release…🤔

(4R SmBLE 2021 in case it’s hard to see)

2041F86C-9DF5-4A46-AE85-48EDEA9E8A2F.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

Congrats to all the Georgia SBers that are Braves fans including one who’s probably listening on his transistor radio.

I’m celebrating with Kentucky Gentleman.

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

The floral notes of the Q are quite present in this year’s release…🤔

(4R SmBLE 2021 in case it’s hard to see)

2041F86C-9DF5-4A46-AE85-48EDEA9E8A2F.jpeg

What notes do you get from the cat hair?

• I like it 3

While prepping for Halloween, Kids & Grandkids, I got the news of My Best Friend who was also my 1st Cousin, loosing the battle to cancer. This was on Friday & I can't even remember if I had a pour Fri or Sat. I think not.

I did have Family over & did enjoy the life that they injected into me. When engaged, the funk subsided & they seemed to have a blast which was the priority.

Halloween, which is also my birthday, warranted the last pour of my fav bottle. It may not be for most, but the PH10 heavy char is the best bottle that I have had. It is also too good to "not" share so after a dab to a guest, we took turns with sips of the fine elixir while toasting a Grand Friend...

PH10.thumb.jpg.8f795f63e4cfcd37d2a2364cc9e1fea2.jpg

I tried to keep a good bottle going, so I uncorked these 2...

12Remus.jpg.81a1d0934f8b25f4034f56d3d2741147.jpg

My 1st taste of the Remus & I find it quite good. A cherry-cola thing with a chocolate finish. How can that be a bad thing...

• I like it 16

10 hours ago, mal00768 said:

What notes do you get from the cat hair?

Now, I thought that was funny!

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

While prepping for Halloween, Kids & Grandkids, I got the news of My Best Friend who was also my 1st Cousin, loosing the battle to cancer. This was on Friday & I can't even remember if I had a pour Fri or Sat. I think not.

I did have Family over & did enjoy the life that they injected into me. When engaged, the funk subsided & they seemed to have a blast which was the priority.

Halloween, which is also my birthday, warranted the last pour of my fav bottle. It may not be for most, but the PH10 heavy char is the best bottle that I have had. It is also too good to "not" share so after a dab to a guest, we took turns with sips of the fine elixir while toasting a Grand Friend...

My 1st taste of the Remus & I find it quite good. A cherry-cola thing with a chocolate finish. How can that be a bad thing...

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  It looks like you had some sizable pours which is understandable. While time does help, its memories that make the difference.  Enjoy remembering the good times you had together.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Sorry for your loss Red.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Sorry for your loss.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Thoughts are with you and your family redd. 

Joe

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Prayers for you and your family 🙏

• I like it 1

Been MIA for awhile now. Job change meant much less computer time, then had difficulties connecting to the website from my phone, and admittedly also am a bit disenchanted with the current bourbon world. I have been lurking and liking though. :)

Tomorrow is my 10 year wedding anniversary and Sunday is the wife’s birthday so we packed up up the car and drove down to Mammoth Cave, Ky for a little trip with the kiddos.

Left early this AM and after a stop at dinosaur World checked into our lakeside Airbnb cabin. Enjoying some GW4G on the deck while the wife and kids explore. Then a much needed rest before firing up the grill for some skirt steak tacos. Mammoth Cave tomorrow followed by some 10 year themed pours and a big ol Porterhouse for two. Weather looks to be 50-55 and sunny all weekend. Yep, it’s going to be a wonderful time!

4D230849-D69C-467A-A36B-850FF9746554.jpeg

• I like it 14

A good sized bottle kill pour of OF Statesman.  After going through the bottle, this one benefited from just a little water.  Really toned down the black pepper notes for me.  

• I like it 3

EW B.I.B. hitting the spot.  I have several days in a row of no rain coming up, and lots of yard work waiting.

• I like it 2

I’ve been on pretty substantial scotch kick of late, but decided to pop a bottle of EHT SmB that my dad generously sent me for my birthday. I was quickly reminded how delicious it is.

Followed that up with a shorty of Dickel 8 yr Bourbon, and now nip of JD Black Label. 

• I like it 1

I've been enjoying an interesting side by side of two nearly identical MGPs - a Smoke Wagon Small Batch and a Smooth Ambler Old Scout.   Same high rye mashbill,  same approximate age,  almost the same proof.

They are a lot more similar than alike, but they are different.   SAOS exhibits more dryness and rye spice, the SWSB is more honeyed and "tuned" to a sheer drinkabilty.   Love 'em both.

20211104_232037.jpg

• I like it 5

Skinsfan3111 is to blame for this mess with his post in recent purchases.

back to back

3oz dickel 13 year BIB, great as expected

2oz dickel 15 year, good

2oz current standard elijah, disappointing after dickel

2oz current standard elijah, good after wash with previous drink, nice up front and very nice finish

2oz bottom shelf mckenna, nasty

2oz mckenna 10 yr BIB bottled 2/4/10, good, of course, but not exceptional

2oz mckenna 10 yr BIB bottled 9/30/04 super up front, average after

2oz dickel 13 yr to round it out trying to be scientific

this was NOT a serious taste test, just sipping on whatever night this is.  but final impression:, current standard elijah gave best finish, 2004 mckenna very definitely gave best up front, but dickel 13 perhaps best all around drink.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.