What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been many months, so I decided to open one of my last two Distiller's Cuts today; boy, am I going to miss this when it's all gone. This should have been a permanent shelf item instead of Black, Devil's Cut or Double Oaked IMO.

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, lemonman said:

It's been many months, so I decided to open one of my last two Distiller's Cuts today; boy, am I going to miss this when it's all gone. This should have been a permanent shelf item instead of Black, Devil's Cut or Double Oaked IMO.

The Distiller’s Cut was to good to last. I think, if Beam continued the brand it would’ve destroyed brands you listed above as well as Baker’s, KC 9yr 100 proof.  The latter, because of difference in cost.  Now, for me Baker’s & KC 100 are better, but if I only had $40, I probably would have picked up 2 Distiller’s Cut over the other two. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

I made some spicy Mexican food tonight, leaving my palate a little damaged.  I think a wheated bourbon will be the most gentle, Haha.  

My bar has MM PS and  WLW open, but both are cask strength. A little much tonight. I just finished a Larceny, (I want something new) and I’m out of MM and MM101 so………

Weller to the rescue.  WSR, it is. But, I don’t have one open. Quickly remedied the situation. Opened up the WSR.  Yes!  Good choice. 

Cheers

• I like it 6

I’ve enjoyed all these.  Well aged..

2B488550-5BAD-4E51-8292-C69D169D7F89.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 7

On 7/4/2022 at 8:08 PM, JT3NSB said:

I’ve enjoyed all these.  Well aged..

2B488550-5BAD-4E51-8292-C69D169D7F89.jpeg

Nice looking pic

• I like it 1

I opened the Chattanooga Bottled in Bond that I picked up recently.  Surprised to notice that this one was actually released last year (batch #21F, vintage series Spring 2017) and is not the newest one.  That's ok with me because I sort of regretted not picking this one up last year when I saw it on shelves.

This BiB is different than their 111 Cask.  Different mashbills.

• I like it 2

On 6/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, Swamp55 said:

Opened up a special bottle for Father's Day.  Best wishes to all of the other Dads out there!

Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend.jpg

Hey there @Swamp55, Master Blender Nancy Fraley here. So sorry I'm just now seeing your post. Looks like you have some JMCB #26 there? Hope you enjoyed both that batch and Father's Day as well! 

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy

• I like it 7

18 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey there @Swamp55, Master Blender Nancy Fraley here. So sorry I'm just now seeing your post. Looks like you have some JMCB #26 there? Hope you enjoyed both that batch and Father's Day as well! 

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy

Hi, Nancy!  Yes, that was batch #26 in the glass there.  And, yes, my wife and I enjoyed the pours on Father's Day.  Thanks, and keep on blendin'!

• I like it 3

Opened a "fantail" bottle of 2017 New Hampshire Liquor Commission pick Kentucky Spirit to celebrate Pappy's birthday last night.  Great nose, smooth and creamy on the palate with hints of cocolate and caramel, and a medium but tasty finish.  Gave him a bar of Buffalo Trace soap. too.   🥳

• I like it 7

On 6/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, JakeySnakes said:

I've seen these pop up and disappear quick near me. Always stayed away, somewhat turned off by the hype/nonsense. But I must say, with all the good reviews I'm reading, I may need to buy the next I see, as long as it's at, or around the $65 I have seen it for in the past.

The price appears to have recently increased to north of 70 bucks,   but do it anyway.  It is one fantastic bourbon.

• I like it 2

7F21BAC6-4DE2-43FA-9CFF-BC100014F073.thumb.jpeg.91d9d1f5ddb36654ee388279448be4ee.jpeg

A six year MGP SAOS PS.  Needs 2-3 more years in my opinion but the nose is caramel apples, very nice.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Solid 12yr.   

DE6108E9-8427-44D6-96A3-3A7284D82BDA.jpeg

I’ve seen that around KY. 
Any more detailed tasting notes?

0895, I’m horrible at describing bourbon.   I’m told it comes from HH and tastes very much like well aged HH to me.   It’s got a fruity oaky balance thing going on it seems like.   

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2022 at 5:47 AM, JT3NSB said:

0895, I’m horrible at describing bourbon.   I’m told it comes from HH and tastes very much like well aged HH to me.   It’s got a fruity oaky balance thing going on it seems like.   

oh, interesting.  Sounds good!

I have seen it in stores, and always just assumed Barton.

Its on the list to try one of these days.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:58 AM, 0895 said:

I’ve seen that around KY. 
Any more detailed tasting notes?

On 7/16/2022 at 5:47 AM, JT3NSB said:

I'm pretty sure I saw this on the shelf in Florida too while on vacation. I didn't know anything about it so I didn't get one.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:25 PM, FasterHorses said:

7F21BAC6-4DE2-43FA-9CFF-BC100014F073.thumb.jpeg.91d9d1f5ddb36654ee388279448be4ee.jpeg

A six year MGP SAOS PS.  Needs 2-3 more years in my opinion but the nose is caramel apples, very nice.

I have a recent 6yr SAOS pick that I find to be much more grain forward than some of the 5yr picks I've had. The last few bottles I've bought have gotten me thinking I'd rather have New Riff Sib picks than the SAOS. The reason I say them, I consider them to be very similar on paper with high rye, BP, low barrel entry proof, price point, and 4-5 years old.

But I know that I'll revisit SAOS picks from time to time to see if I'm wrong. 

• I like it 1

Somebody a couple days ago posted a pic containing a recently purchased Bernheim KSWW 7yr 90 proof.  The memory of it made my mouth water.  SO!  Today I bought one and opened it.  I really do like it during the Summer months.  It took awhile to cut the plastic "wax" sealant off, but I've practiced enough on KC and MM bottles that I did it without nicking myself.  First ounce was neat and sipped slowly to reacquaint my palate, and the next pour was two ounces with an ice-maker cube (about 7/8 OZ. of water) floating in it.  WONDERFUL Summer sipper. 

• I like it 6

On 7/18/2022 at 5:53 PM, 0895 said:

oh, interesting.  Sounds good!

I have seen it in stores, and always just assumed Barton.

Its on the list to try one of these days.

Revisiting this, you may be right on the Barton….

I don’t really post much here. My usual routine is to replace an empty bottle with one of the same.  My “usuals” are MM, MM 101, ER, BT and Weller SR. Not much fanfare needed. Tonight I believe a little fanfare is warranted. I’ve been cleaning and reorganizing my bourbon room lately. No comments please. :huh: Anyway, I cleared out enough room to finally be able to look in one side of my cabinet that I haven’t been able to get to for a while. There was a bottle that I’d pretty much forgotten about. Well, actually three.:o A 90 proof PS OFSB. Bingo! I’d also forgotten how freakin’ good it was. :P

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, beasled said:

Cracked open an KC9.

image.jpeg

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 7/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, JCwhammie said:

I have a recent 6yr SAOS pick that I find to be much more grain forward than some of the 5yr picks I've had. The last few bottles I've bought have gotten me thinking I'd rather have New Riff Sib picks than the SAOS. The reason I say them, I consider them to be very similar on paper with high rye, BP, low barrel entry proof, price point, and 4-5 years old.

But I know that I'll revisit SAOS picks from time to time to see if I'm wrong. 

Yeah .. im not loving the saos. This bottle is unique and like a buck killed too early, this couldve been a special barrel in a few more years. Im looking forward to when saos gets 8,9, 10 yrs old again. I really want to set a minimum for bourbon (for me)no less than 7 yrs . But how dis HH get it so right at 6? Maybe MGP doesnt hit its stride until 7,8,9? 
Have not tried New Riff because its so young.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.