What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I had some "back label"  EC12 , which we forget sometimes how great that product (EC12 Small Batch)  used to be.  In my opinion it was THE best value on the shelf when I first discovered this hobby.  EC SmB NAS is still a fine product in relation to today's competition, but one sip of this 12 year reminds you that the current bottling is a shell of its former self. 

I recently opened my last bottle of "age stated on the back" EC12 and was reminded how great that stuff is...was.

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I recently opened my last bottle of "age stated on the back" EC12 and was reminded how great that stuff is...was.

If you posted about this, it's possible that subconsciously/unknowingly channeled your feedback when I posted my thoughts!  🤔 

And I know we aren't the only ones who miss EC12

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

RRSiB warehouse B while grilling some frankfurters. The food is what the kids wanted and the drink is dad’s choice. 

Big fan of the B.

On a whim I grabbed this today and I’m really glad I did. It’s 101 proof HH juice that’s charcoal mellowed, just like the HH green label 6 year. Which this tastes a lot like. I’m thrilled with it, and plan on squirreling a few more away in the bunker, as I’d never seen it on the shelf prior to today. 

6A60795B-33B6-4B92-BFDE-3B586E2C71E6.jpeg

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

I had some "back label"  EC12 , which we forget sometimes how great that product (EC12 Small Batch)  used to be.  In my opinion it was THE best value on the shelf when I first discovered this hobby.  EC SmB NAS is still a fine product in relation to today's competition, but one sip of this 12 year reminds you that the current bottling is a shell of its former self. (l'm not including privately selected choice single barrel bottlings which is a different discussion altogether).

The oak in the EC12 was really working for me, so I'm continuing on the oak train with a pour of KC12.  Very similar bourbons actually.

If anything, these two pours perhaps best illustrate the state of bourbon in 2022 versus circa 2015-16.  Both high quality bourbons but one was an everyday shelf bottle found at any liquor store for $30ish and the other is over twice that price and hard to find.

My Bunker notes showed me that I paid $34 OTD for the bottle of "front label" EC12 back in 2016.  Notes also said I bought a "handle" of "front label" EC12 for $52.00 (on sale) OTD around the same time  - should still have it, but can't lay my hands on it just yet.  I musta' buried that baby deep.   We'll see how well the 750ml bottle has held up later next week.   🥳

Mizzou Bottles.jpg

• I like it 3

On 3/5/2022 at 12:59 AM, Kepler said:

Nice.  Keep me posted! 😀

Both of these have similar noses-- an odd “treated lumber from Home Depot” vibe. Luckily that didn't transfer into the taste. The Wheated Bourbon (5 year age statement of the back label) is the more flavorful and complex of the two, but that's not saying much. I would hesitate to recommend either of these from a value standpoint. I'll revisit them in a few weeks-- might have just been an off palate day.

IMG_7744.thumb.jpg.d27646b9b622ae55411e2f60f1c0bf2f.jpg

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

EC SmB NAS is still a fine product in relation to today's competition, but one sip of this 12 year reminds you that the current bottling is a shell of its former self. (l'm not including privately selected choice single barrel bottlings which is a different discussion altogether)

Very true. The new ECSmB is an entirely different profile to me with more fruit and bright notes to go with the HH caramel. Much less oak and the viscosity is lacking. 

My local picked a fantastic 12 yr Barrel last year so I excitedly pulled out my back label EC12 for a SBS. Unfortunately It was no contest. The old EC12 was so much better.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Both of these have similar noses-- an odd “treated lumber from Home Depot” vibe. Luckily that didn't transfer into the taste. The Wheated Bourbon (5 year age statement of the back label) is the more flavorful and complex of the two, but that's not saying much. I would hesitate to recommend either of these from a value standpoint. I'll revisit them in a few weeks-- might have just been an off palate day.

Thanks for posting this for a couple of reasons Dave. First off, I purchased a bottle a while back from a semi-local distillery. Your nosing descriptor “treated lumber from Home Depot” is spot on for my bottle. 🤭 Secondly, Old Elk has started showing up more often in my area. One store has the regular blended bourbon. Another store has a couple of private picks, one of which is the wheated version. I’ve been hesitant about grabbing a bottle of the Old Elk mostly because of the price. I’d pretty much already decided to pass on them. Your review helped me “put the cap on the bottle”, so to speak. ;) Cheers brother!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

These have been around my neck of the woods for a couple years. While I have not made a purchase, I have tried bar pours of both and they just don't "grab ya". It seems to me that there are several 4-5 year "craft" that fit in the same category. None are bad but, they just don't unseat the big dogs for the price. Woodinville, Dettling, Peerless and Old Elk seem to be here. If I had to choose one, Peerless has a particular note that makes me want to keep on, however that was a store pick; and a worthy one. We'll See, I guess...

• I like it 2

Having some AAA 10 star to start the evening.  A drop of water really open this up.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It’s not an off day. They are not quite ready yet. I do think they will be a good bourbon at around 8 to 9 years old

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

It’s not an off day. They are not quite ready yet. I do think they will be a good bourbon at around 8 to 9 years old

Honestly speaking, I’m not encouraged that I wait 8-9 years for a bourbon to be good.  Just sayin’.

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Honestly speaking, I’m not encouraged that I wait 8-9 years for a bourbon to be good.  Just sayin’.

Let me clarify that just a little bit. The wheated bourbon needs about eight or nine years, to me. The rye bourbon I think is almost there, about seven years should be the spot when it starts to do its thing, as with most bourbons. I do like what they are doing though. 

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Craft whiskey that at 8 to 9 years might be good.

Meanwhile whiskey from any of the legacy distillers, at 8 to 9 years - freakin' fantastic. 😍 

• I like it 2

This may be palate repair 101...

After a month of nothing, I've been through several bourbons in the past 2 days to include a fav, cask strength, a couple bibs & even a finished version. Nothing gave me hope for a true bourbon experience. Steve pointed out that a return to bourbon was a gradual kind of thing and I believe him.

But, returning to a rye may be the ticket.

Whistle Pig 6 year gave me the distinct notes that I was craving. A distinct anise/licorice rye thing with an equally distinct caramel apple.

Saturation point reached; 2morrow the litmus test...

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

Sitting down to some old school Baker’s SiB. 

Old school Baker's meaning 7 yr small batch?

• I like it 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, Marekv8 said:

Thanks Marekv8 for taking one for the team!  Very informative tasting notes that I can really use from a practical standpoint.  Which I really appreciate!  You may very well have saved me some money here ;)

• I like it 1

Tonight it was a series of dice baseball followed by Charlie Parker Plays Cole Porter with some Rittenhouse Rye.   

• I like it 2

On 3/7/2022 at 5:11 PM, bayouredd said:

These have been around my neck of the woods for a couple years. While I have not made a purchase, I have tried bar pours of both and they just don't "grab ya". It seems to me that there are several 4-5 year "craft" that fit in the same category. None are bad but, they just don't unseat the big dogs for the price. Woodinville, Dettling, Peerless and Old Elk seem to be here. If I had to choose one, Peerless has a particular note that makes me want to keep on, however that was a store pick; and a worthy one. We'll See, I guess...

Woodinville is a favorite,  and Peerless I must say was good although I didn't replace the bottle.   The craft bourbon I've bought the most over the past several years, though, has been FEW.    I just keep re-upping it because it goes great with food!   

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Old school Baker's meaning 7 yr small batch?

Yes it was.  I still have quite a few around.  I just prefer to he current version.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.