What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ER10 PSs -  SBS @ Pappy's Place.  L&K & Wicked Oak Societies picks.  Both atypical ERs but very, very good (IMHO).  😅

• I like it 5

After many months of being tempted but resisting I finally caved and bought a Woodford Reserve Straight Wheat Whiskey.

Not bad. Definitely has the WR/OF dna. Most likely from the yeast. Definitely has wheater characteristics but the OF dna is very strong here. Having a hard time distinguishing this from rye recipe WR/OF products. I think that OF yeast benefits from the rye in the recipe to counter it a bit. I think the wheat is too weak here and the flavors from the rye are missing. This tells me how important that rye / OF yeast combo is.

Will continue to test and assess.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

After many months of being tempted but resisting I finally caved and bought a Woodford Reserve Straight Wheat Whiskey.

Not bad. Definitely has the WR/OF dna. Most likely from the yeast. Definitely has wheater characteristics but the OF dna is very strong here. Having a hard time distinguishing this from rye recipe WR/OF products. I think that OF yeast benefits from the rye in the recipe to counter it a bit. I think the wheat is too weak here and the flavors from the rye are missing. This tells me how important that rye / OF yeast combo is.

Will continue to test and assess.

I own quite the collection but have never bought the standard Woodford but have owned multiple of the Master's Collection.

I am quite tempted by the Wheat one myself as I do love wheaters but I feel almost obligated of getting the standard one too...

Started with a MMCS and moved on to the flag ship BT. Garrison Brothers SiB on deck. Happy Thursday night to me.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I own quite the collection but have never bought the standard Woodford but have owned multiple of the Master's Collection.

I am quite tempted by the Wheat one myself as I do love wheaters but I feel almost obligated of getting the standard one too...

You have to try the standard before you try the wheat just so you have a reference.

Standard WR is good and cheap so go for it.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I really like wheaters too but I've rarely had a wheat whiskey that I found enjoyable. 

• I like it 1

Been looking a this for a while.  This is one time that I am glad that I read the reviews before buying.  Supposedly, Clyde Mays is unique as that it adds dried apples as part of the finishing process.  However, this is only for the whiskey and not the bourbon.  In the review I read, it indicated that the bourbon was sourced from Kentucky (most likely Heaven Hill).  The whiskey is distilled by Cunocuh Distillery in Florida.  Sure enough, I went to my llquor store yesterday while running errands ( and before a snow event) and when I picked up the bourbon, the label indicated that it was distilled in Indiana meaning that it is most likely MGP juice.  

I bought the whiskey which was distilled in Florida.  Had a small taste last night. mild hint  of apples on the palate but otherwise a good whiskey.  Can' wait to give it  a real test drive this weekend.

IMG_1958.jpeg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

I really like wheaters too but I've rarely had a wheat whiskey that I found enjoyable. 

I guess this statement confuses me?

Are you saying you like unicorns like Old Fitz and Pappy's or that you want to like wheaters but just don't love them?

32 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Are you saying you like unicorns like Old Fitz and Pappy's or that you want to like wheaters but just don't love them?

Nope. I’m saying that I like wheated bourbon like Makers, Weller, Larceny, etc.  But what I don’t like is wheat whiskey.  That Woodford is a wheat whiskey, not a wheated bourbon.

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 2

8 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Nope. I’m saying that I like wheated bourbon like Makers, Weller, Larceny, etc.  But what I don’t like is wheat whiskey.  That Woodford is a wheat whiskey, not a wheated bourbon.

Ohhhhh wow. Huge oversight on my part. I'm actually super intrigued and want it even more now just to see how I feel about wheat whiskey's.

2 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What the heck was this? 😂😂😂

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

What the heck was this? 😂😂😂

haha I'm just lost man. Every whiskey I drink just makes me feel found!

In all seriousness, I think we resolved the issue. I misunderstood that a wheated bourbon is not a wheat whiskey.

• I like it 2

Some tasty Bulleit SB this evening.

Not exactly sure who made this distillate, but it has a very nice almost strawberry candy taste to it.

Happy Friday folks.

EC713280-FE00-492F-A8C6-8A9BCFFC446B.jpeg

• I like it 1

15 year old Knob Creek batch 2. Oak and brown sugar is all I ask for from Knob Creek. And this delivers.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.