What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:28 AM, fosmith said:

The one I had a couple of years ago was Four Roses distillate; OESO iirc. 

I have one that screams 4R Q mash, but this one leans towards Barton 🤷🏻‍♂️.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

AD99B83C-27EA-4D57-9157-3D5CCA6E784E.jpeg

This seems like a tease... but I'll keep my eyes open and my pockets deep.

• I like it 2

I’m having a couple of pours of a ps BT this evening. Delish! 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I love it when a bottle ripens as it empties, turning good bourbon into a sumptuous flavor bomb.   The two I've been sipping tonight have been well and truly dug,  Pikesville Rye and OF 1897 BIB, almost done but shining like diamonds. 

• I like it 2

I posted several times how disappointing this was but months of sitting on the shelf at half fill worked its magic again. I poured a glass, went outside to get a package delivery, came back 2 mins later to find the apartment filled with the smell of burnt sugar. I could smell it from the hallway no kidding. This might be the most dramatic transformation I’ve ever seen and all non-believers in oxidation should be offered a dram. 

DF1B881A-D951-4008-A145-7EB06F3E3813.jpeg

• I like it 6

2006 EC12 (pre-fire) and 2013 EC12 (post-fire).  2 different animals, no comparison.

• I like it 6

Afternoon pour after yard work.  Around 70 with blue skies.  Both the day and the drink are beautiful.

17EBF0CC-4BD4-47A3-87CD-AEB56829A4B2.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 2/28/2022 at 8:28 PM, 0895 said:

To avoid expensive champagne on Valentine’s Day?

😁

Wise guy 🤪

• I like it 2

On 2/25/2022 at 2:41 PM, BigRich said:

Starting the weekend early with a pour of some GBS Russell’s Reserve.  Oooooh so good.

F60CBE6B-17AF-496A-B3F4-70400B48380E.jpeg

They bottle your RR private picks in Master's Keep bottles?

On 2/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, Marekv8 said:

I have a 6 year old straight wheat whiskey from Old Elk that has far more character than the Woodford release, but I'm sure the 59.2% ABV has a lot to do with it. The Woodford Reserve Wheat is a non-event pour-- without a proper delivery, much less a finish.

IMG_7729.thumb.jpg.1f6c5e463fc4c1f9082b46370e435c45.jpg

Have you had the Old Elk wheated bourbon as well to compare?  I would like to try an Old Elk but I don't know which to go with, either the wheated bourbon or the straight wheat whiskey.  I don't want to purchase both.

Having a night cap of WT Master's Keep BiB 17yo in honor of BiB day.  I have to say, my overall favorite Master's Keep is the Decades because for my palate it is the better balanced whiskey and always sings no matter how my palate is conditioned on a particular day.  This 17 BiB needs the palate to "warm up" to the dryer oak tannins on the finish before it really clicks.  But when it sings, it really sings, with a lot of complexity and depth of flavors.  Once my palate was warmed up I was really digging the cherry pie note this thing has going on.  Unique in a great way.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

They bottle your RR private picks in Master's Keep bottles?

That's how the GBS rolls!

Actually, It was my first thought on drinking those two bottles. "Good, but not as good as older special releases from WT but these bottles would make great decanters."

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Have you had the Old Elk wheated bourbon as well to compare?  I would like to try an Old Elk but I don't know which to go with, either the wheated bourbon or the straight wheat whiskey.  I don't want to purchase both.

Yes, but that bottle is long gone. The neighborhood grocer just got in a PS bottle of Old Elk Wheated Bourbon, so I may be able to help you out with a side-by-side. If I'm not mistaken, the CEO of Old Elk went to high school in Baton Rouge-- so the brand has a strong presence in town.

I got around to trying a new one for me - Virginia Gentleman 80 proof.  This is not something we usually see around Indy.  It seems like a very mild whiskey, no sharp or off flavors.  Maybe good for new Bourbon drinkers or people that want to move up from blended whiskey like Canadian Club or Seagram's Seven.

OE7 tonight.  It has been awhile but a great choice to start the weekend.  

• I like it 2

Earlier in the evening, Ms. Wedel wanted to try a Classic Martini (she had never had a Martini,) so I made up a batch. I like gin, but mostly combined with tonic water.

Thankfully, now onto Bourbon. Chose 4R SmB from the Rutledge era, from my bunker. Yeah, that is the ticket. 

Hail to The Cult! 😉

Cheers

• I like it 5

First pour ER10.  This one is a good store pick sample, I'm getting more spice from this tonight than typical ER which is a nice change of pace.

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, BigRich said:

That's how the GBS rolls!

Actually, It was my first thought on drinking those two bottles. "Good, but not as good as older special releases from WT but these bottles would make great decanters."

They do it in style.  Nice!

I tried a pour of OF 100 after having some OF 86. This OF 100 tastes better than the last one I had. I like it, but I think I’ll be leaning towards the OF 86 in the future. I reckon you can teach an old dog new tricks. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, but that bottle is long gone. The neighborhood grocer just got in a PS bottle of Old Elk Wheated Bourbon, so I may be able to help you out with a side-by-side. If I'm not mistaken, the CEO of Old Elk went to high school in Baton Rouge-- so the brand has a strong presence in town.

Nice.  Keep me posted! 😀

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.