What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up my first-ever bottle of Knob Creek 12,  and am enjoying a side-by-side pour with a Bookers (Bardstown Batch), proofed down to allow an apples to apples comparison.    

These are both terrific pours,  and while I can easily  taste the greater age of the KC12,  I can understand why Booker Noe claimed his bourbon tastes best at about the 7 year mark.  The Beam peanut brittle note is much more prominent in the Bookers,  while the KC12 has the velvety lushness afforded by a good five years more of aging.   

Given that both are small batch blends,  I think this makes for a fascinating lesson in what aging both gives and takes away.   Bottom line is both have their place as completely satisfying, balanced and delicious pours.  As I sip these libations on a perfect late spring evening, I'm a lucky guy.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 8

On 5/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, flahute said:

Went to Total Wine to pick up the two Calumet 15's I web ordered. While there I noticed they had BT (one per customer) and due to my so much enjoying the one I recently purchased I snagged one. Also did the family size OF100 so I could refill my empty liter.

Went to the car and popped a Calumet 15 to do the ol' "try it in the car" trick. Yes I had brought a glass. Really like it a lot so I went back in and bought the last two they had. A 15yr bourbon at 105 proof for $100 is a darn good price in today's market.

When you first posted, I replied that, if I ever saw this at a reasonable price, I would emulate your actions.  WELL!!  While picking up wines and rail spirits (some Blue Sapphire gin, Todd Thrasher rum, vermouths in 375s, etc.) to last us through the first part of the Summer, I was bummed to find that a store that normally carries my OGD BIB was out of it.  BUT!  Sitting on the shelf where the OGD would have been was one Calumet Farms 15 YO 105 proof honoring Whirlaway, 1942 Triple Crown (AND Travers Stakes) winner (and the only horse ever to win all four); it was at MSRP - $3 more than Flahute paid.  BUT! store also had JD BIB for around $40, and I did buy an Ezra Brooks 99 proof for a SBS with my only remaining Old Ezra 101 7 yr and those rail/cocktail bottles.  Imagine my surprise at checkout when I was told that, because I had more than 12 750s of spirits and wine,  the first six were 10 per cent off, and I GOT TO CHOOSE WHICH SIX!  Next retailer we hit had my OGD so I bought all four on the shelf with the savings from the first stop.

That all happened while my wife and I were celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary with a museum, lunch out, and some basic shopping,  SHE is a good luck charm.

I just finished the OE/EB99 SBS which is why this post is rambling.  Results will be pasted shortly when (A) I find my notes, (2) decipher them, (III) type them up, and (FOUR) figure out where they should be posted.

Oh, yeah, the JD BIB was a liter bottle.  Anybody seen it in a 750?  A liter at just under $40 for it is not bad; this will be my third.  For one thing - no banana ester.

• I like it 11

On 5/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, fosmith said:

This morning went online and ordered a couple of bottles of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof from K&L.  This has become the go to favorite barrel proofer in the Smith household and my wife's absolute favorite.  Thus, a bottle doesn't last long here and our small stash of these is quickly dwindling.  With Stagg Jr. Booker's, ECBP, etc. becoming so hard to find and/or so expensive, I love that this is still obtainable.  I hope it stays that way..

On 5/26/2022 at 11:05 AM, smokinjoe said:

I’m very much with you on the JDSBBP.  It is great whiskey.  My favorite as well, of the others that you list.  It’s a bit hard to find here in Atlanta, from time to time, but generally comes back around as soon as I start entering withdrawals for it.  I think I might say that it is my current favorite whiskey of any type on my bar.  

Shhhhhhhhhhh!🤫

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That all happened while my wife and I were celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary with a museum, lunch out, and some basic shopping,  SHE is a good luck charm.

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks to a tip from a fellow SBer, I managed to score a case of ECBP B522. At $60 a bottle, the value is too good to pass up each time. Don't worry, I left PLENTY on the shelf for others to enjoy as well.

• I like it 4

Finally treated myself to a replacement bottle of Eagle Rare today. 

• I like it 6

Apparently there were a pair of 9 year PS casks— and the second one just hit the surface.

4F5BDB62-DA82-4F19-8302-AB2813F06FF2.thumb.jpeg.4cf49cd04896f4654793b413cce37cc7.jpeg

• I like it 11

I had zero intention of buying any bourbon this weekend.  And we all know how that goes.  Seriously though, as I’ve lamented in the past about not finding much anymore that interests me except replenishing staples like OF Stateman, MM101, etc…..and then I tripped over a few.  Picking up cocktail fixins’ (rums, tequila, etc) I came across some JD BIB, Eagle Rare, and HM 10yr all at retail.  Well…I guess even this blind squirrel finds some nuts eventually.  

• I like it 11

Unlike @BigRich, I was hoping to make it out to a local retailer's 20% off sale this weekend.  However, as a 2 day deck staining job will now be turning into a 4 day deck staining job, I was getting a little worried.  However, as luck would have it, I needed more staining supplies. 😀   Fortunately, the liquor store is close to Lowe's. 😜 

I picked up a few staples like OF100 and WTR101.  However, this retailer has a recent KC120 single barrel store pick.  $39.99, yes, please and thank you. 

• I like it 9

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Unlike @BigRich, I was hoping to make it out to a local retailer's 20% off sale this weekend.  However, as a 2 day deck staining job will now be turning into a 4 day deck staining job, I was getting a little worried.  However, as luck would have it, I needed more staining supplies. 😀   Fortunately, the liquor store is close to Lowe's. 😜 

I picked up a few staples like OF100 and WTR101.  However, this retailer has a recent KC120 single barrel store pick.  $39.99, yes, please and thank you. 

Sorry, I couldn't help it!!! 😜

At least it is close to Lowes...

1231748507_ex14.thumb.jpg.6a05e94680ba5b2c3c4ca339389b02bb.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Sorry, I couldn't help it!!! 😜

At least it is close to Lowes...

1231748507_ex14.thumb.jpg.6a05e94680ba5b2c3c4ca339389b02bb.jpg

You don’t know how close in accuracy you are @bayouredd.  🙂 It’s ≈ 110 miles or so from Indianapolis to Louisville. 😄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You don’t know how close in accuracy you are @bayouredd.  🙂 It’s ≈ 110 miles or so from Indianapolis to Louisville. 😄

Biba! Joe

Damn! Sad state of affairs when your jokes are more fact based that your facts... 😳

• I like it 4

Long after I thought I would pick one up, Friday I actually did. A 4R smb select has finally entered the fold.

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Long after I thought I would pick one up, Friday I actually did. A 4R smb select has finally entered the fold.

That's a good one, enjoy!

• I like it 2

On Saturday I had to stop by the grocery store so I swung back by the liquor section and they still had BT so I picked up another.

Today, I picked up the ol' family size WT101 and I promptly refilled my almost empty 750. Whew! Crisis averted.

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, flahute said:

On Saturday I had to stop by the grocery store so I swung back by the liquor section and they still had BT so I picked up another.

Today, I picked up the ol' family size WT101 and I promptly refilled my almost empty 750. Whew! Crisis averted.

How much for the BT @flahute? The price went up a buck or two here in northern Illinois at most places. Normal is now usually around  $26.99.  

Biba! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

How much for the BT @flahute? The price went up a buck or two here in northern Illinois at most places. Normal is now usually around  $26.99.  

Biba! Joe

If you are a "club member" the price is $28.99

• I like it 1

Here’s a good one. Our local Meijer stores frequently have BT on sale for $22.99. Trouble is, it’s not in stock now, and very rarely is. With ER and Blanton’s, it’s on sale a lot, but never in stock. 🙄

Biba! Joe

$5.99 for a 750 in plastic at local drug store.  Should have cleared the shelf but showed some restraint.

05646C74-5541-43C7-BF2C-F0EC78647735.jpeg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, ThomasGazelle said:

$5.99 for a 750 in plastic at local drug store.  Should have cleared the shelf but showed some restraint.

EW black is around $10 here and that's a bargain so, for $6, I would have bought a few.  Not the most complex pour but good in a cocktail, from the freezer or even neat.  Better than everything else in that price range, IMO. 

• I like it 2

On 5/31/2022 at 12:55 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Here’s a good one. Our local Meijer stores frequently have BT on sale for $22.99. Trouble is, it’s not in stock now, and very rarely is. With ER and Blanton’s, it’s on sale a lot, but never in stock. 🙄

Biba! Joe

I read somewhere, I believe a Reddit thread where a poster who claimed to have worked at Meijer saying they often have sales tags on the shelf for bourbons that they never get in stock.  I know my local Meijer has sales tags for Blanton's in two different locations, the regular shelf and an endcap for limited edition bourbons, but never has any.  In the case of Blanton's, I have talked with the liquor manager before and was told that they do get it in occasionally but usually just a few bottles.  They put them out when they get them so they disappear quickly.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:17 AM, flahute said:

If you are a "club member" the price is $28.99

I was grocery shopping...not bourbon shopping...at lunch today.  The local chain store had BT 1.75 l for $46.99 but no 750s.  They regularly have 750s for $26.99 as does the near by liquor store.

I guess I need to get a bottle.

Got these this week at the state run liquor store.

20220602_225441.thumb.jpg.37e2bbb4cd8d3c61026c0ae6cfa6a1e2.jpg

Edited by Mano
  • I like it 12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.