Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

On 7/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, Thomm said:

Thank you, barrel no. 21-09869. You get the carved elephant trunk-raise of approval.

JD Single Barrel Select is a really good pour that flies under the radar, IMO. 

• I like it 4

This was a good bottle.  I've become a big LBP fan lately; I always like to have one open in my bar.  This one had a bit of a Maker's Mark vibe toward the end.  And, a bit of water really helped it to shine..

Larceny BP A120 empty.jpg

• I like it 5

On 7/21/2023 at 7:36 AM, LCWoody said:

I thought this would be the most appropriate place to put this, a local friend that does glass work made me some bourbon glasses from empty bottles. I figured it would be cool to do the entire Antique Collection. They have been in my attic for some time, along with 1000 other empty bottles that just take up space. The buffalo trace bottle is a 375, and is probably the one I will use the most because of its size. It’s going to make a good conversation piece in my office. 
F7EE647B-6ADE-4E5C-AF10-A6DCB27525B6.thumb.jpeg.586c47c0e88f33b0069146392a118251.jpeg

Boom! Love it and this is exactly why I've been saving my BTAC bottles. Just need to find someone to do the work. I've also looked at bottle cutters and it seems straightforward but I would then need to figure out how to polish the cut edges.

• I like it 2

A good solid McKenna 10.  Enjoyed by several neighbors a few weeks ago and emptied today.

IMG_0972.jpeg

• I like it 7

Finished off my store pick WSR (circa 2022 purchase).  BUT!  It is not yet gone.  Instead, I used it along with a bunkered OGD 114 I bought YEARS ago for about $21 to make Grandpa Weller Four Grain (2 units OGD 114 plus 3 units IMG_1841.thumb.JPG.ffe08b364aa333e0d36ba35584076e2a.JPGWSR).

The peach is for a peach gin freeze I am making in the blender for a shrimp dinner - gin, peach brandy, peach, peach bitters, ice.  Make a smoothie.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Finished off my store pick WSR (circa 2022 purchase).  BUT!  It is not yet gone.  Instead, I used it along with a bunkered OGD 114 I bought YEARS ago for about $21 to make Grandpa Weller Four Grain (2 units OGD 114 plus 3 units IMG_1841.thumb.JPG.ffe08b364aa333e0d36ba35584076e2a.JPGWSR).

The peach is for a peach gin freeze I am making in the blender for a shrimp dinner - gin, peach brandy, peach, peach bitters, ice.  Make a smoothie.

Harry, maybe you should start an "empty hidden storage area thread."  😃

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

Had my Daughter and fly here last week and these are the polished off bottles. Really going to miss the BRT-01. My fav last year...

gone.thumb.jpg.9805a48a0c2007def23a554cb1d0c0e3.jpg

• I like it 2

On 7/28/2023 at 8:30 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Harry, maybe you should start an "empty hidden storage area thread."  😃

Geez Mike! 

IMG_3918.jpeg.f3872ee222fd018b92ba3caba9a19f7d.jpeg

• I like it 1

4R PS bottled 2015 OBSK (60% corn, 35% rye) 52.6% ABV 10 yrs 1 month.  This was my first 4R PS and set me back about $56 - outrageous price for bourbon back then.

I still have a few other PS selections (other recipes) so I don't feel bad about finishing this one.

IMG_1845.thumb.JPG.b88e9fc4443d053ffb12cfa7e5520000.JPGIMG_1844.thumb.JPG.15b9e79d9db0c9af34363c939fea468c.JPG

• I like it 4

I miss this one already.  Damn delicious MGP goodness.  Packed with so much flavor and mouthfeel, it's hard to believe it's only 94 proof.  I can't find a replacement but I ordered a cask strength store pick from K&L so we'll see how that measures up..

remus empty.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

I miss this one already.  Damn delicious MGP goodness.  Packed with so much flavor and mouthfeel, it's hard to believe it's only 94 proof.  I can't find a replacement but I ordered a cask strength store pick from K&L so we'll see how that measures up..

remus empty.jpg

I really hope you can find a replacement or two. Total Wine & WalMart are the main sources here. This has become one of my goto bottles for almost a year now and I really dig it.

I did get a Wine World SP cask strength that I am extremely disappoint in. It has changed from ok to meh on any given day. The ok days, there is a cube involved. I now have half left and I am planning on blending it with the 94 proof.

17 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I really hope you can find a replacement or two. Total Wine & WalMart are the main sources here. This has become one of my goto bottles for almost a year now and I really dig it.

I did get a Wine World SP cask strength that I am extremely disappoint in. It has changed from ok to meh on any given day. The ok days, there is a cube involved. I now have half left and I am planning on blending it with the 94 proof.

I've heard that the CS store picks come from barrels with differing mashbills so no guarantee that a pick will taste anything like the 94 proofed batched version, or a different pick for that matter.  K&L picks are usually excellent, however, so that does offer some hope. 

• I like it 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:56 AM, LCWoody said:

That has to be the lowest proof 4R SB I’ve seen. 

Funny about that.  Any of my OBSKs with a higher proof almost always get a few drops of water after the first couple sips.  This one, as I recall, NEVER got a drop.  It certainly hasn't when I've sipped it the last year or so.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

I've heard that the CS store picks come from barrels with differing mashbills so no guarantee that a pick will taste anything like the 94 proofed batched version, or a different pick for that matter.  K&L picks are usually excellent, however, so that does offer some hope. 

They cleared a new label for their picks and will now be putting the mash bill on there, with 3 options offered in the program.

• I like it 2

Finished off last night. It was excellent. All but disappeared in my area the past year.

IMG_4894.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Finished off last night. It was excellent. All but disappeared in my area the past year.

IMG_4894.jpeg

It is such an underrated pour!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Finished this one off yesterday afternoon.  This is always around, and always to my liking.  

empty.jpg

• I like it 1

Killed two store picks tonight, a Russell's Reserve from Total Wine and a George Remus from Sam's Club.  The Russell's was good because it tasted the same as my "regular" Russell's bottles.  The Remus was better than the standard 94-proof Remus but not nearly as good as a Remus store pick I have from a liquor store.  I am pleased with MGP's--Sorry, Ross & Squibb's new SiB program where they offer 3 different mash bills and show the mash bill on the label, but I'm afraid it will force me to buy many varieties to try them out.

2 Store Pick Bottle Kills.jpg

• I like it 4

We finished this one last night. I've been on an EC tear this past year. This one was fantastic, but unfortunately I don't have a backup of this specific barrel. 20230810_195533.thumb.jpg.9e645e7e5505650413e779ba6ec848e5.jpg

• I like it 3