Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

I posted in the “What Bourbon Did You Purchase” thread about purchasing a 1.75 of MM today. This was totally on a whim when I made an unplanned stop at Binny’s. Little did I know. I had a pour of MM from the 750 I have open. I’ve been refilling it from 1.75’s. When I had the pour, I noticed the fill level in my 750. Hmmmm.🤔 I ended up grabbing the open 1 .75 I have and emptied it into the 750. Another one bites the dust. 😁

FWIW, @mbroo5880i commented on my “elf on the shelf” In another thread. Well, it isn’t an elf. It’s a weird little bowling guy. This is one of the many gifts I’ve received  from my Special Olympic bowlers and/or their families over the years.

IMG_2277.thumb.jpeg.98f8675ec8aa85544d189c808be2ffbe.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 7/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, 0895 said:

Knocked out a few good ones this week.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

A123 & my sample of @GeeTen’s WFP bit the dust.

Both were fantastic!

Wow someone's been busy.  Good work.

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Wow someone's been busy.  Good work.

Well, not much to do this past weekend…..we lost power here for a bit and it’s summer in Missouri.  The wife didn’t want to be touched. 🤣

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Well, not much to do this past weekend…..we lost power here for a bit and it’s summer in Missouri.  The wife didn’t want to be touched. 🤣

Nope, nope, not gonna do it. Not gonna say a word. 🤐

• I like it 4

Recent empties.  Big fan of the Chattanooga 111 as a change of pace type of pour.  Proof that young bourbon can taste quite good.  The Stellum is a solid MGP bourbon.  And I like Larceny BP but this c921 batch is not my favorite of the ones I've tasted.  I believe I have more of this batch in the bunker.

20230707_153205.thumb.jpg.0c8a0dd4b87e63e3f0acbb25efbcafe4.jpg

• I like it 4

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's been a busy few weeks.

20230708_194907.jpg

For you or your liver doctor?!?  🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 3

On 7/2/2023 at 4:17 PM, Clueby said:

Another one bites the dust. 

20230702_161332.jpg

Pretty sure I have those same glasses - Williams Sonoma from many years ago I think - They're awesome

Edited by jvd99

This was unique.  One of the first releases when they moved the age up to four years - 2016-7?  Proofs on these usually are 110 to 120, mostly in the lower range.  And, it tastes more like a Kentucky rye than the usually dill and mint forward WFE ryes.  I like the more typical batches but I'm glad I have a replacement for this.  

willett 4 yr 126p empty.jpg

• I like it 4

Been hitting the ryes a lot lately.  This was a pleasant surprise.  I'd heard their bourbon was meh and I only bought this one because it was half off on clearance at K&L.  I'm glad I did. 

Nose: Minty.  Like York peppermint patty with the dark chocolate dialed back

Palate: Delicious.  Cinnamon Red Hots hard candies.  Sweet and spicy.  Nice medium/long finish. 

Wish I could replace it but it's sold out. 

wiseman rye empty.jpg

• I like it 2

As with @Clueby, it’s been a busy few weeks. The mostly decent weather has been good for our bourbon and cigar group get togethers. Been sharing more, and bottles have emptied a tad faster. No complaints whatsoever. It’s all good. 😁

To the subject at hand, three up and three down. Not pictured is a MM 1.75 that I decanted into a 750.

Biba! Joe

IMG_2338.thumb.jpeg.8da7e9f26d9e637a8d538e266e86e8f9.jpeg

• I like it 6

20230715_140903.thumb.jpg.7cb87d62f0137951f2241483fd91910a.jpg

Recent kill.  

Prideful Goat 15 Yr straight bourbon.  This is an NDP bottling from an outfit in Texas.  They have a 6 yr bourbon and a 6 year rye that is distilled in Indiana (so MGP) but this 15 yr is KSBW and rumored to be Heaven Hill.  I'm no HH mashbill expert so I don't know myself, but the mashbill percentages are listed right on the bottle at 78.5% corn, 13% rye, 8.5% malted barley.  Going by the taste I think HH could be right, but the trademark nutty note that I get in most HH is more muted.

It was a good bottle but a bit hot and not very complex.  For a benjamin it was a solid value in the marketplace compared to other offerings, but the liquid inside is  not worth that to me.  I think I have one more bottle of this in the bunker.  I included a pic of the back label. The PG "story" made me chuckle,... nice to see a whiskey company not taking themselves too seriously for a change.

20230715_141748.thumb.jpg.bf6f8c2f3c8cd8aea859869f6b304eb2.jpg

• I like it 2

On 7/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, JCwhammie said:

Another sad moment when the bottom goes up on a RR SIB 

IMG_4236.jpeg

I recently decanted 750 ml from a handle of Wild Turkey 101 into my latest RR SiB empty. It's kinda like when the oldest brother goes away to college and the younger gets to move into his bedroom. 

• I like it 2

Finally clearing out the space under the sink. Most of these were fridge/freezer bottles. Seems that the freezer bottles tend to go quicker. Who would'a thought.

IMG_4830.JPG

• I like it 5

This bottle was definitely worthy of putting in the empty bottle support group. 

IMG_5252.thumb.jpeg.d5b7b94069a18f44e90de971e7fa8aef.jpegIMG_5251.thumb.jpeg.49dee3d1e8289880108017ae39c90e8c.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 7/15/2023 at 2:35 PM, Kepler said:

20230715_140903.thumb.jpg.7cb87d62f0137951f2241483fd91910a.jpg

Recent kill.  

Prideful Goat 15 Yr straight bourbon.  This is an NDP bottling from an outfit in Texas.  They have a 6 yr bourbon and a 6 year rye that is distilled in Indiana (so MGP) but this 15 yr is KSBW and rumored to be Heaven Hill.  I'm no HH mashbill expert so I don't know myself, but the mashbill percentages are listed right on the bottle at 78.5% corn, 13% rye, 8.5% malted barley.  Going by the taste I think HH could be right, but the trademark nutty note that I get in most HH is more muted.

It was a good bottle but a bit hot and not very complex.  For a benjamin it was a solid value in the marketplace compared to other offerings, but the liquid inside is  not worth that to me.  I think I have one more bottle of this in the bunker.  I included a pic of the back label. The PG "story" made me chuckle,... nice to see a whiskey company not taking themselves too seriously for a change.

20230715_141748.thumb.jpg.bf6f8c2f3c8cd8aea859869f6b304eb2.jpg

I picked up a bottle of this  a few months ago for(I  think) $65, and I'm loving it! It's interesting to me that you mentioned HH. It didn't strike me before but now that you mention it, it does seem to be reminiscent of the ECs BPs and SBs I've been drinking lately. 

I think tonight we'll do a blind.

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 1

I thought this would be the most appropriate place to put this, a local friend that does glass work made me some bourbon glasses from empty bottles. I figured it would be cool to do the entire Antique Collection. They have been in my attic for some time, along with 1000 other empty bottles that just take up space. The buffalo trace bottle is a 375, and is probably the one I will use the most because of its size. It’s going to make a good conversation piece in my office. 
F7EE647B-6ADE-4E5C-AF10-A6DCB27525B6.thumb.jpeg.586c47c0e88f33b0069146392a118251.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 18

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I thought this would be the most appropriate place to put this, a local friend that does glass work made me some bourbon glasses from empty bottles. I figured it would be cool to do the entire Antique Collection. They have been in my attic for some time, along with 1000 other empty bottles that just take up space. The buffalo trace bottle is a 375, and is probably the one I will use the most because of its size. It’s going to make a good conversation piece in my office. 
F7EE647B-6ADE-4E5C-AF10-A6DCB27525B6.thumb.jpeg.586c47c0e88f33b0069146392a118251.jpeg

Those all look pretty cool, but I have to say that the BT one did catch my eye when I fist looked at the pic.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

That's a great use for those empties.  You can retain the details of those old batches and the memories of drinking them without storing them away in the attic and never looking at them.  Well done 👍

• I like it 1

Thank you, barrel no. 21-09869. You get the carved elephant trunk-raise of approval.

IMG_20230722_211139.jpg

• I like it 4