Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

You know she went back inside and got something even better.  🤣

Screenshot_20230612_082420_Google.jpg

Finished off a non-store select RRSiB, very nice and frankly, the last pour was the best.  On profile, and nothing you wouldn't want and everything in place.  I've got an older store select rick house A on deck, and will be doing a SbS tonight.

3285D50D-F5B3-45BF-A69A-220416126DD7.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut
  • I like it 6

I finished this one tonight.

We picked up two of these at Total Beverage in Chattanooga about a year ago. Extremely happy to have one more on deck.

115pf, 10yr 4m, OESK. 

20230614_192036.thumb.jpg.56431c524868284bd901846e85a4fb14.jpg

• I like it 7

I've told the story before about my best friend Doug, who I met at my after school job when I was 17 and he was 20, in Berkeley 52 years ago.  When I graduated high school we became roommates and best friends, he was like a brother to me.  He nursed me through my first hangover at 18, which was only fair because he was the one feeding me Jack Daniel's and creme soda the night before.  We were there for each other's first broken hearts and later, when we each met the women we were meant to spend our lives with, we were best man at each other's weddings.  

I lost him to cancer in 2017.

Back in the early 70s when we were roommates and going to college, he worked at a liquor store.  A couple of years ago, I got back to Berkeley and the store is still in business, now run by the son of my friend's original boss.  I bought a store pick from them, and have used it to toast him and his family on birthdays, anniversaries, and the like.  

Tonight I finished that bottle.  Fitting, because today would have been Doug's 72nd birthday.  My last words to him at the hospital a week before he died were, "I'll see you on the other side of all this." 

See you on the other side, Doug.

Ledgers WT.jpg

• I like it 17

I think a well curated 12 year old bourbon can be the perfect age for my taste.  Two such examples.

20230616_181958.thumb.jpg.ef0730cfb115cbc079ac7ce7552aa817.jpg

• I like it 10

Waaaaaay Sorry To See This One Go...

LBP.jpg.ee4cd818b5dafe1bd2bf9beb98d77a66.jpg

SIL left this one over Christmas and I don't think he realized how good it was. It was just 1/3 of a bottle, so I have been hitting it sparingly, but tonight had 3 nice pours to the point of doom!!!

I really need to replenish this one...

• I like it 5

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I think a well curated 12 year old bourbon can be the perfect age for my taste.  Two such examples.

20230616_181958.thumb.jpg.ef0730cfb115cbc079ac7ce7552aa817.jpg

Not really a better duo of semi 12yr obtainables... 🤨👌

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

This'll be a tough one to save so long to.    It's just gotten more mellow and voluptuous as the bottle has wound down

20230617_170724.jpg

• I like it 3

Sorry to see this particular purchase is finished.  Back in 2018 or thereabouts, some new SB member calling himself (appropriately given what his name means) "McGuffin"  posted on the "other whiskey" threads re: Irish whiskey touting the formation of the "Irish Whiskey Society of America".  I joined and am glad I did.  I was NOT an Irish whiskey fan, finding basic Bushmills and Jameson too oily and grainy.  Turns out that those characteristics, also found in scotch, are due to the prevalence (or exclusive use) of barley and barley malt in the distillate.  Some releases of the old Cooley distillery before it was purchased by Beam (2011) did make it into my cabinet - John L. Sullivan blended and Michael Collins single malt.  Not as oily, and I loved them.

ANYWAY, I sent in my money for membership, figuring I'd never see anything, especially after McG disappeared from SB.   BUT, I got a nice membership card and an etched Glencairn.  Over the years, the IWSA onsite reviews of Irish whiskey and the occasional offers have MORE than paid me back.  I bought this years ago and really miss it already.

IMG_1799.thumb.JPG.5a424b536a6aafad11eada5d7931e6ec.JPG

Just killed a bottle of Kirkland/1792 SiB, their first release from 2 years ago.  Dunno if my Costco got a honey barrel but it's delicious.  Cheap enough that I have--ahem--one or two bunkered.

My first bottle of this and I enjoyed it quite a bit over the past couple of months.  It has (had) a floral and mint character similar to what I get in the WT 101 rye but amped up several notches. 

rare breed rye empty.jpg

• I like it 4

38 minutes ago, fosmith said:

My first bottle of this and I enjoyed it quite a bit over the past couple of months.  It has (had) a floral and mint character similar to what I get in the WT 101 rye but amped up several notches. 

rare breed rye empty.jpg

That is a great rye, and really flies under the radar.  Not talked about much.  Which tends to be a good thing, generally!  😂

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

rare breed rye empty.jpg

Haven't had the Rare Breed Rye but I like the WT101 Rye alot.  Never got a mint note on that one.  I usually find that in MGP rye - not my favorite.

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That is a great rye, and really flies under the radar.  Not talked about much.  Which tends to be a good thing, generally!  😂

🤫:ph34r:

Rare Breed Rye is good but I feel it's overpriced for what it is.  I prefer RR Single barrel rye straight up (cost no object).  They are very close.  Plus RRSiB rye is a few bucks cheaper in my area which means I doubt I'll replace my current RB rye bottle when it's gone.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Rare Breed Rye is good but I feel it's overpriced for what it is.  I prefer RR Single barrel rye straight up (cost no object).  They are very close.  Plus RRSiB rye is a few bucks cheaper in my area which means I doubt I'll replace my current RB rye bottle when it's gone.

Yeah, that's a sentiment that I've heard more than a few times which is why I hadn't tried it until recently.  It's $60 where I shop and I feel like it's worth that but it's not something that I'll be buying a lot of.  To me, it's comparable to the bottle of Wilderness Trail Cask Strength rye that I had a while back which was about the same price, iirc.   

• I like it 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, Kepler said:

I've never seen the RRSiB rye.

I'll have to start paying more attention at the LS.

What are they asking for it in your neck of the woods?

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've never seen the RRSiB rye.

I'll have to start paying more attention at the LS.

What are they asking for it in your neck of the woods?

Well the last one I bought was $54 but now I checked and see they have crept up a few bucks over 60, about the same price as the RB rye.  So basically they are the same price now..  disregard what I said about value now 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

The anti Unicorn. Great bottle. Don’t know if I’ll replace because I have too many bottles I need to crack. Killed this and MM CS PS this weekend. Productive! 

IMG_0534.jpeg

• I like it 4

Batch A123.  As fellow SB'r @0895 says..it's like liquid Snickers bar. it drinks a little hot for its proof though.

20230625_225841.jpg

• I like it 4