What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Sorry, which bottle are you talking about? I’ve heard of forbidden but not sure if that is the brand?

It’s a new brand, the 5 yr old 95.2p small batch is currently available for pre order with single barrel cask strength to follow, one can only imagine how ridiculously that one will be priced.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Ask my wife and any bottle over $100 is Forbidden.

😆

20 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Ask my wife and any bottle over $100 is Forbidden.

It's why I never ask The Wife...

• I like it 5

21 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

That is solid advice regardless of the circumstance.  😉😀

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Indeed, the best way to win the argument is never to have it.

• I like it 6

17 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Indeed, the best way to win the argument is never to have it.

Or, play chess…😉

• I like it 3

Passed on Castle and Key Wheat Bourbob per Black Tot’s warning.

It pained me but I can always go back, I’m in Atlanta until Friday.

10 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Passed on Castle and Key Wheat Bourbob per Black Tot’s warning.

It pained me but I can always go back, I’m in Atlanta until Friday.

There is a lot going on there. There was upheaval at the top prior to the release of any of their own. They ( like any new distillery) had issues early on that required external troubleshooting and how much of that distillate has yet been gone though is unknown ( I’m guessing most at this point). They certainly show promise as I have been impressed with recent (2022) samples I tasted at the distillery. 
They have great production and storage capacity as they also contract distill and IMO there is plenty to look forward to. They aren’t going anywhere so I am content to let a couple more years pass before jumping in. The general feedback has been mixed, perhaps reflecting the early struggles or simply the various palates chiming in, regardless time is on our side. Like I said, personally what I have tasted, I enjoyed. They aren’t pricing in the stratosphere like so many upstarts and I believe they are in it for the long haul. Once they have solidly broken out of 3 yr age statements and progressed to 5-6 ish, I will be much more interested. 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Calumet Farm 16 $139 was 6 deep at the grocery store and I passed. Went home and looked it up on Binny’s website, which has been sold out for quite some time, only to discover a new batch must have dropped because every Binnys location is now well stocked with the 16 at $149 marked down to $143. I suspected this may have been the case while at the grocery, so glad I passed as there’s no guarantee this batch will be as good as the original. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a store pick 1792 single barrel.  I like it the best of the three expressions I have tried but it was a little pricey at $53.99. 

Also, passed on OE7 Yr Rye Barrel Strength for $58.99. It was probably worth it but I wasn't feeling it. 

I also passed on an Oceans Rye for $65. I saw a BBC Rye aged in cherry casks. It was $139.

• I like it 3

On 3/3/2023 at 12:16 AM, Anwalt said:

Bought so many Blanton's Gold's at 99 to 105 Euros that, even with ones going to friends, I simply have enough.  Bunker tummy is full, at least on those.  Daughter's jaw dropped when I passed one up at 99 Euros.  My shrink says it's a good sign.  My wife does not believe me.

<sigh>

Ahhh, the first step towards bourbon zen.  Makes me proud 😊

• I like it 2

On 6/5/2023 at 6:40 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on a store pick 1792 single barrel.  I like it the best of the three expressions I have tried but it was a little pricey at $53.99. 

Also, passed on OE7 Yr Rye Barrel Strength for $58.99. It was probably worth it but I wasn't feeling it. 

I also passed on an Oceans Rye for $65. I saw a BBC Rye aged in cherry casks. It was $139.

As a lover of well done mpg rye, that oe7 is extremely good and under 60 is the lowest price ive heard so far.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

As a lover of well done mpg rye, that oe7 is extremely good and under 60 is the lowest price ive heard so far.

I didn't even check the distillation information.  It was at a grocery store.  Every item on the shelf was in the wrong place.  I took it to a self scanner and when the price came up $58.99 I thought "well shucks."  To be honest, I wasn't in a buying mood.  Unless it was at a drop my pants, buy me a cheeseburger price, I probably still wouldn't have bought it. 

While in Chicago, I passed on the Old Fitz 80 proof (gold label).  I've tried it in the past, and at 80 proof, it's just so thin, really bottom shelf to me.

The bonded version (discontinued 🤬) of the same thing, used to be good.  Would not pass on that.  If anything, HH should have discontinued the 80 and kept the 100.  And I know hypothetically there are the fancy bottle extra age versions.  A one or two times a year maybe, a $150 bottle, hid in back of store - that doesn't do me any good.

Amongst other things, I passed on Weller SR  for $49.99. 😐

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe, such self control (haha).  I've see it here for $79.99.  No thanks.  The store had at least 24 bottles on the shelf, a month later there were non.

What's the saying about a fool is born every minute?

• I like it 4

55 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Joe, such self control (haha).  I've see it here for $79.99.  No thanks.  The store had at least 24 bottles on the shelf, a month later there were non.

What's the saying about a fool is born every minute?

FWIW, $49.99 is “tweener” territory for Weller SR around here. Only a couple of places sell it at or near msrp ($27.99?). Most places it’s $69.99 or more.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, $49.99 is “tweener” territory for Weller SR around here. Only a couple of places sell it at or near msrp ($27.99?). Most places it’s $69.99 or more.

I remember when it sat on the shelves at $14.99, albeit it was 20 years ago.

• I like it 1

Passed on ECBP at $99, and BT at $50.  I hate to admit it, but the BT was a hard one to pass on only because I have not been able to obtain a bottle for a few years.  I know it's not worth 50 bucks (I have gone through a few bottles in the past), but can't quite remember what it tastes like.  So have just wanted to get one to have around.  The search continues...I might even have to start playing the VA ABC drop game...sigh.

On 6/5/2023 at 5:40 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I also passed on an Oceans Rye for $65.

If you are talking 'bout the Jeff Voyage Rye, I really dig this one. I have bought 3 of those & still it sits on the shelf. Of course I'm hooked up on it for $53. Very sweet for the rye's I have tried and the "Rye" is almost an after thought on the palate. A good one for those getting into rye...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Passed on ECBP at $99, and BT at $50.  I hate to admit it, but the BT was a hard one to pass on only because I have not been able to obtain a bottle for a few years.  I know it's not worth 50 bucks (I have gone through a few bottles in the past), but can't quite remember what it tastes like.  So have just wanted to get one to have around.  The search continues...I might even have to start playing the VA ABC drop game...sigh.

I understand your pain on the BT pass.  But, I typically will stretch my own high price limit on personal favorite bottles that have been rare in my area.  It’s what we all go through…right?!  🤪

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

3 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I remember when it sat on the shelves at $14.99, albeit it was 20 years ago.

With deference to my friend Special Reserve, how "special" is Weller Special Reserve?  Probably petty special at $27.99 but are there wheaters that are more "special" at $49.99 or $69.99?  If WSR is your jam, $70 might be worth it to you, but there is certainly a lot of competition in that category these days. 

• I like it 2

On 6/7/2023 at 12:51 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Weller SR is ok, but just ok.  I don't even know if I'd pay the new MSRP if offered.

Before anyone throws mad money at WSR, instead check out some of the brand extensions of MM.  I can get MM 101 @ 28.99 almost any time, and no waiting or games.  😎👍

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Weller SR is ok, but just ok.  I don't even know if I'd pay the new MSRP if offered.

Before anyone throws mad money at WSR, instead check out some of the brand extensions of MM.  I can get MM 101 @ 28.99 almost any time, and no waiting or games.  😎👍

MM101 at $28.99?!?!  Pauly, damn son!!!! 🤪

• I like it 6