What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

I don’t shop much these days but walked a whiskey aisle while getting something for someone else today. Easy to pass on McKenna 10 year for $70. Seems like it was not so long ago it was always on the shelf for $23ish. Now a rapey price with a “limit one per” sign on it. Sad 

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Passed on OGD114 - no urgency - plenty available 

IMG_5727.jpeg

Plenty available until there isn't.  RIght, @GeeTen?  Distribution is BS. Some places are flush while others are barren.

• I like it 2

I passed on a Willet purple top for $499 today.  The weird thing is I bought one at the the same shop on Monday for about 15% over msrp. While I was in the shop I kept thinking I should buy two, and all the way home I kept thinking I should have bought two, and all week long I kept thinking I should have bought two. There were six or so on the Shelf on Monday so today I decided to go back and buy another one. But apparently they realized they could charge quite a bit more for them and at 500 bucks it was a hard pass for me.

At least I got one for almost MSRP

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

I passed on a Willet purple top for $499 today.  The weird thing is I bought one at the the same shop on Monday for about 15% over msrp. While I was in the shop I kept thinking I should buy two, and all the way home I kept thinking I should have bought two, and all week long I kept thinking I should have bought two. There were six or so on the Shelf on Monday so today I decided to go back and buy another one. But apparently they realized they could charge quite a bit more for them and at 500 bucks it was a hard pass for me.

That happened to me a long time ago with Balvenie Tun 1401. I found like 4 languishing on a shelf at MSRP after the whole 1401 series had come to an end, which was still like $200, bought one and quipped to the clerk how surprised I was to find these were still available. Like you, I had a nagging feeling in my gut I should have bought at least another because I knew those would be the last I’d ever see. I kept think ing maybe I should buy all of them. It bugged me for a few days and so I went back and the remaining bottles were all in the glass case for auction prices.  Had to walk away. Lesson learned in that one. 

Regarding the OGD114, it’s not a must have or LE, so I know I’ll see it again. It’s not that hard to find around me. 

• I like it 1

Not sure where to post this, but it was a pass, since I'm all stocked up at this time.

It appears Four Roses has changed the label of their 80 proof Bourbon (a.k.a. "yellow label" or FRYL).  The new label has the roses inside a circle.  It looks similar to the Al Young LE label.

I was walking through the grocery store and passed a bunch of cases.  Something seemed off.  Then I'm like, ah new label.

Yeah, they posted some stuff on IG about it, celebrating their 135th anniversary.  As long as they don't change what's INSIDE the bottle...

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, jvd99 said:

IMG_5727.jpeg

Once upon a time, the same could be said about McKenna 10 year, Weller, ER10, BT, etc.     

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, jvd99 said:

IMG_5727.jpeg

You know there's a mean streak in you, yes???  🤣

• I like it 1

Didn't buy just wasn't allowed to purchase. A new independent liquor store near me. That in and of itself is both unusual and great. They had a bottle of Blanton's and  two bottles of CEHT. They are all raffle bottles. The owner is raffling a bottle each week during his first month open. He already raffled a bottle of Blanton's.  He will raffle another bottle this week. Then he will raffle the CEHT one per week over the next two weeks.  You have to buy something to enter since he prints a spare receipt that you put your contact info on. Seems fair. 

No interest in Blanton's but would be interested in the CEHT at a fair price.

His selection was really good and his pricing was fair. He seemed to have some pricing anomalies that I would like to ask him about when the store isn't busy. For example, FRSiB was cheaper than FRSmB. Actually,  FRSiB was only $34.59. I was wondering if the shelf tag was incorrect.  If not, then I found a new source for Four Roses. I told him i would come back on a weekday to chat more.

• I like it 2

On 6/23/2023 at 8:48 PM, Davesnothere said:

What's MSRP for that stuff anyway?

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

In restaurant guide speak it's $$$$

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Around $250

Came across a 4R SiB PS, an OESK.  Reached for it until I saw price tag, $100. 🙄. Nope, no way. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Came across a 4R SiB PS, an OESK.  Reached for it until I saw price tag, $100. 🙄. Nope, no way. 

Cheers

That's pretty much the going rate now +/- a few bucks, unfortunately. That's what they cost here too

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

That's pretty much the going rate now +/- a few bucks, unfortunately. That's what they cost here too

More evidence that bourbon prices will settle in at scotch prices.  Bad for us.

OTOH with the BP reaching $100 maybe eventually Four Roses will offer some of the more popular single barrel recipes at a lower proof (100) and a lower price which I would purchase.   

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I paid $84.99 for my last bottle.  I said never.  But, one should never say never.  I hate the price but enjoy the whiskey.  I love generous pours so 2 oz.  12.5 2-oz pours at $15 each makes this bottle worth $187.50.  Not that I would pay that price for a bottle.

You can also add in the "I can drink a pour in my underwear or naked premium" and there is additional value added. 😮😜😀

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

I dunno.  Like a couple other posters have posted, that’s on the high side but within the range of 4RPS offerings.  I’d pass on some recipes but not all at $100.  I’d draw the line at no more than one, though.

• I like it 2

Passed on store picks of EC 9yr BP at 75 and OFBP for about the same price.  I have plenty of 12 year ECBP that paid far less for. And I just don't care that much for most  OFBP that I've tried. 

Long story short..🙄  I stopped at an out of town liquor store that I haven’t been to in quite a while. I had to chuckle to myself. I bought a 1.75 of MM yesterday at Binny’s for $39.99. This stores price was $59.99. 😐

Passed on the Claw this past week.  My first time seeing this legendary gem in person.  Bought some beer instead 🍺.

729388FE-A7F4-45C4-9C8A-B2660E3EE570.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Passed on the Claw this past week.  My first time seeing this legendary gem in person.  Bought some beer instead 🍺.

Yikes this is horrifying.

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

What compelled you to pass on the superbly smooth Lusty Claw? 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I saw this.  Be afraid, be very afraid!😧

Wise choice on the beer!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

What compelled you to pass on the superbly smooth Lusty Claw? 

Fear of embarrassment if my bourbon buddies ever found out. 😁

• I like it 2