What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

MM101 at $28.99?!?!  Pauly, damn son!!!! 🤪

Not sure about Pauly but same price at the local Costco for me.  He is a Southsider. They get better ish than us Westsiders. Now, the Northsiders they get stuff we can only dream of.  The Eastsiders. They are bottom of the barrel. They get...nuthin.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Didn't pass on it quite yet, but a few Heaven Hill BIB have recently become available at $50 a piece. Read some reviews indicating this was lackluster even at $40 MSRP.  

As I am at the moment contentedly sipping Wild Turkey 101, price/satisfaction ratio is soundly thrashing curiosity in my present mindset. 

Anybody have a good/great word to say about HH BIB?  Change my mind?

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Thomm said:

Didn't pass on it quite yet, but a few Heaven Hill BIB have recently become available at $50 a piece. Read some reviews indicating this was lackluster even at $40 MSRP.  

As I am at the moment contentedly sipping Wild Turkey 101, price/satisfaction ratio is soundly thrashing curiosity in my present mindset. 

I'm with you.  I have had it and it was good, but the question is, is it $50 good?  Especially when there are bottles I like as well or better for less?  I remember a reviewer of Wheel Horse saying it reminded him of Wild Turkey so at the store I am thinking, Why would I pay $35 for something that reminds me of a low-$20s bottle?

Same reason I keep passing on Green River; it gets favorable (not stellar) reviews but for me it's a bit like those American Idol-type shows where they have like 8 top contestants and the challenge for each new one is to be better enough (in a given price range) to unseat one of the 8 favorites.

I would be slow to buy HH BIB because of the same price/satisfaction issue you mention. 

• I like it 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, Special Reserve said:

I remember when it sat on the shelves at $14.99, albeit it was 20 years ago.

Only 10-11 yrs ago here it was stacked deep at 9.99. It was a pass for me then and nothing has changed about that for me except the price. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Thomm said:

As it relates to HH bib? (or MANY others for that matter) WT101 is the superior pour even vs the older and I believe more highly regarded 6yr bib. I like it a lot ,its a really nice pour but 101 is not just nice, its all around great.

• I like it 3

50 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Only 10-11 yrs ago here it was stacked deep at 9.99. It was a pass for me then and nothing has changed about that for me except the price. 

That's inexpensive.  Was OWA about $13 - $15?  That would be a real deal.

In 2009, a ps Weller 12 at Binny’s was $24.99 a bottle. I may have bought a couple. 🤥 In 2011, OWA was $21.99 a bottle at Binny’s. I did buy a couple. Also  in 2011, Weller SR was $18.99 a bottle at Binny’s. If I knew then what I know now, I may have bought a couple more. A couple more dozen that is. 🫨 

P1050472.thumb.jpeg.94f11bc3561201e5c502024cd954ea8d.jpeg

• I like it 11

On 6/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Not sure about Pauly but same price at the local Costco for me.  He is a Southsider. They get better ish than us Westsiders. Now, the Northsiders they get stuff we can only dream of.  The Eastsiders. They are bottom of the barrel. They get...nuthin.

Dammit!!

I wish Costco in the Republic of MD sold liquor. Closest one is in DC.

Might have to make a field trip...

• I like it 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:51 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Amongst other things, I passed on Weller SR  for $49.99. 😐

What's the price where you buy? Hard to imagine you passing on a Weller! 

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, mbroo5880i said:

That's Kroger near me.  Also the last couple I bought were during a big sale, so I paid closer to $25.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

That's inexpensive.  Was OWA about $13 - $15?  That would be a real deal.

Both OWA. And W12 were in the low to mid 20s. Once the bubble bursts hopefully they return there where they belong. Oh and 9.99 was 9.99 more than I was willing to pay for SR, I am a rye guy and can and do appreciate certain wheaters but that one didn’t appeal to me on any level. I hear the new Uber expensive version is better but I haven’t tried it and I’m in no rush.

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 6/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, kcgumbohead said:

As it relates to HH bib? (or MANY others for that matter) WT101 is the superior pour even vs the older and I believe more highly regarded 6yr bib. I like it a lot ,its a really nice pour but 101 is not just nice, its all around great.

I neglected to mention that HH BIB is somewhat difficult to get in my area. This brings up my curiosity, and then a little bit of "I want it because it's hard to get" creeps in to my subconscious.  I have found lately that I simply cannot keep up with even half of the whiskeys that fit into that category, so I am more and more relying on word of mouth and reviews.  

This forum helps me with that tremendously.

• I like it 2

On 6/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, IamMatt said:

Same reason I keep passing on Green River; it gets favorable (not stellar) reviews but for me it's a bit like those American Idol-type shows where they have like 8 top contestants and the challenge for each new one is to be better enough (in a given price range) to unseat one of the 8 favorites

You may take my opinion on Green River for what it's worth.  I have a bottle. It is half gone. I would call it serviceable whiskey and nothing more. To me it deserves a $20 price tag. 

• I like it 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:03 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

In 2009, a ps Weller 12 at Binny’s was $24.99 a bottle. I may have bought a couple. 🤥 In 2011, OWA was $21.99 a bottle at Binny’s. I did buy a couple. Also  in 2011, Weller SR was $18.99 a bottle at Binny’s. If I knew then what I know now, I may have bought a couple more. A couple more dozen that is. 🫨 

P1050472.thumb.jpeg.94f11bc3561201e5c502024cd954ea8d.jpeg

The mothership Binny's!! Always a fun field trip

• I like it 1

After bowling practice this morning, I stopped by my American Legion Post to have a beer and talk to our commander about donating some items to a veterans clothing drive. Long story short, the bartender Becky, was cleaning and straightening up. She sat a bottle of MM near me. I asked to look at it. Yes, it was dipped by my gal at MM. 🤗

IMG_2193.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

• I like it 1

Passed on Barrel Bourbon Grey 100.58 NAS, marked down from $249 to 149 - only about 1800 in this release, which I think is from 2022. Went home and researched it and it got pretty good reviews on quality but criticism on being lower proof and NAS, but the $100 discount is intriguing, thinking about going back and getting one

I've been passing on everything lately cuz I MAY be able to set to Louisville and surrounding areas for a few days this summer so...

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

I've been passing on everything lately cuz I MAY be able to set to Louisville and surrounding areas for a few days this summer so...

Strategic passing as a prelude to strategic purchasing is a great strategy.

• I like it 6

We had errands to run today, so we we were out and about. I stopped at a liquor store and bought a JD Triple Mash earlier the week, but I figured since we were in the area, I may as well stop there again. I didn’t pass on it, but just missed getting a bottle of Blanton’s by about fifteen minutes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stopped by an old liquor store in Newton yesterday in hope of finding a bottle of OGD114 hiding on the shelf. Instead, I saw a bottle of Lot B (ORW12) with a sticker price of (what I could see) $500.  When I asked the clerk what was the price he said, "$1500"!  Then I saw a bottle of "regular" Blanton's in a box with no price.  So I laughingly said "Blanton's must be free since there's no price tag, eh?".  He replied, "no, it's $250!"  Bolted outta' there before I started to laugh in his face.  Crazy times with crazy taters, eh?   🤬

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Stopped by an old liquor store in Newton yesterday in hope of finding a bottle of OGD114 hiding on the shelf. Instead, I saw a bottle of Lot B (ORW12) with a sticker price of (what I could see) $500.  When I asked the clerk what was the price he said, "$1500"!  Then I saw a bottle of "regular" Blanton's in a box with no price.  So I laughingly said "Blanton's must be free since there's no price tag, eh?".  He replied, "no, it's $250!"  Bolted outta' there before I started to laugh in his face.  Crazy times with crazy taters, eh?   🤬

Not only a hard pass but sounds to me like clerk has no sense of humor! You should have flipped him off while bolting...🤨

• I like it 1

I passed on a whole store worth of liquor today.  My county runs its own liquor distribution system (as far as I know the only county that does that).  They opened a new store today and did have some Blantons and some BT barrel picks.  When I got there just a few minutes after opening there was a line around the building and I know that both of those items would have been gone long before I would have made it through the door.  I just wished others good luck and figured I'd see what the new store looks like on another day.  It is only bourbon, I have plenty in the bunker.

• I like it 4

Passed on OGD 114 yesterday. Not really worth a mention, except what I was told by the manager (not the usual LS I frequent, but one pretty close by). 

Went in for wine. Checked the "special" glass case, as per the usual store circuit. Saw OGD114 in there. The manager sidled up and asked if he could help me with anything. I said "just browsing, but why is the OGD in there?". He said, and I quote, "All stores in NYS are now limited to 1 bottle per month, with a bottle charge. Nobody in the entire state can get more."  It was priced at 29.99, up from their 24.99.

I do like it as an occasional pour in the colder months, so may go back for it if it's still even there today. 

11 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Passed on OGD 114 yesterday. Not really worth a mention, except what I was told by the manager (not the usual LS I frequent, but one pretty close by). 

Went in for wine. Checked the "special" glass case, as per the usual store circuit. Saw OGD114 in there. The manager sidled up and asked if he could help me with anything. I said "just browsing, but why is the OGD in there?". He said, and I quote, "All stores in NYS are now limited to 1 bottle per month, with a bottle charge. Nobody in the entire state can get more."  It was priced at 29.99, up from their 24.99.

I do like it as an occasional pour in the colder months, so may go back for it if it's still even there today. 

😪