What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

3 hours ago, Obree said:

More older ECBP. Found 2 B517's. One for Anwalt, one for me.  

processed-9DDD2C8E-DD2A-4EE7-BFD8-4026305B0B50-0F0947FE-0036-42B7-A2DE-F197809FF25C.jpeg

That batch got tons of hype when it was released. I remember tasting some juicy fruit notes in that one.  Still have a couple stashed. Good find

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

That batch was Whiskey Advocate magazine's Whiskey of the Year in 2017. 

• I like it 4

On 11/11/2023 at 2:53 AM, FasterHorses said:

That batch got tons of hype when it was released. I remember tasting some juicy fruit notes in that one.  Still have a couple stashed. Good find

Thanks! Was lucky to come across them

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, fosmith said:

That batch was Whiskey Advocate magazine's Whiskey of the Year in 2017. 

Good to know! Anwalt told me it got good ratings! If he did not want one I would have bought them both anyway, as I rarely see anything from before 2019.

• I like it 1

Stopped at my favorite Greenwood, IN liquor store (Superior Discount) on the way to South Carolina and picked up a couple KC 12s.  They poured me a tiny sample of their store pick 120 proof KC barrel select.  It was reasonable in the low 50s, but I would rather put the same money into more 12 year.  

Stopped at Four Roses and bought nothing on the way through the midsection of Kentucky.  Nice to get off the interstate for a change.  

Found a small, tater-priced LS in Danville, KY and laughed heartily at most of the prices.  Then I spotted some Thirteenth Colony for probably more than MSRP ($50), found a crowbar, opened my wallet, and bought it.  There is absolutely zero chance I will ever see this on my home turf.  Nifty bottle, too.  DANGIT, I'm falling for the oldest trick in the book! 

• I like it 5

46 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Stopped at my favorite Greenwood, IN liquor store (Superior Discount) on the way to South Carolina and picked up a couple KC 12s.  They poured me a tiny sample of their store pick 120 proof KC barrel select.  It was reasonable in the low 50s, but I would rather put the same money into more 12 year.  

Stopped at Four Roses and bought nothing on the way through the midsection of Kentucky.  Nice to get off the interstate for a change.  

Found a small, tater-priced LS in Danville, KY and laughed heartily at most of the prices.  Then I spotted some Thirteenth Colony for probably more than MSRP ($50), found a crowbar, opened my wallet, and bought it.  There is absolutely zero chance I will ever see this on my home turf.  Nifty bottle, too.  DANGIT, I'm falling for the oldest trick in the book! 

WTFM (wait the ....... minute), you were pilfering liquor in Indiana.  F...king Badgers stealing our stuff.  😀  Did you have a hall pass? 😜

What are you?  General Sherman on his way through the south...burning, pillage, buying up all the bourbon.  😀😜😎

Enjoy your bourbon, and safe travels.  Where in South Carolina?

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

WTFM (wait the ....... minute), you were pilfering liquor in Indiana.  F...king Badgers stealing our stuff.  😀  Did you have a hall pass? 😜

What are you?  General Sherman on his way through the south...burning, pillage, buying up all the bourbon.  😀😜😎

Ya’ll Damn Yankees to me!😁

What was the 13th Colony, bourbon or rye?  Both are quite good, hope you enjoy!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

I r@n out this morning to chat with several LS manager I am friendly with.  One had a couple of 1792 bottles I haven’t seen in a few years.  The other had a distributor pick of OFSBBP and a 23b Stagg.  

image1.jpeg

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Conway, SC. Mere minutes from Myrtle Beach. My in-laws live here now, but they are originally from Sarasota, FL and, wait for it...Muncie, IN.

I love your bourbon prices and selection in Indiana.  Wisconsin is getting better, but there is a fog of Miller Lite, bargain brandy, and Super-sized plastic jugs of Kessler blended whiskey to push through in every LS around. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Ya’ll Damn Yankees to me!😁

What was the 13th Colony, bourbon or rye?  Both are quite good, hope you enjoy!

Twas the bourbon.  I am teetotaling at the moment, respecting a dry household, but I will dip in as soon as I get home. 

• I like it 3

I don’t need any more bourbon. I don’t need any more bourbon. I don’t need any more bourbon. 🫨 So I stopped  at Binny’s Saturday and grabbed a ps BT. Monday was a bottle swap for the WSR. I remember the last time I bought a ps BT. I didn’t open it for a few weeks. It was great. I went back to buy another and it was sold out. Since I had to go out this afternoon, I stopped at Binny’s to grab another ps BT. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

IMG_3097.thumb.jpeg.00ff786f649f416f5af9e38d960b5ee2.jpeg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

I r@n out this morning to chat with several LS manager I am friendly with.

Friendly indeed!

On 11/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, Obree said:

Su-Wheet!

I got a C923 with your name on it.....

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Su-Wheet!

I got a C923 with your name on it.....

Cannot wait to try that!

• I like it 1

I decided to invest in the new Bookers, Mighty Fine Batch, although for now it's going into the bunker.   First I've got to finish off my Kentucky Tea batch,  which is a lesser batch IMO that takes water well and right now is in my glass as I listen to a Canadian jazz sax trio (Think Sonny Rollins' Way Out West) called Time Warp.   

Even mediocre Bookers proofed down is punchier and more flavorful than most 100 proof bourbons.    I like the philosophy behind the blend - the choicest barrels aged to no more than 7 years.   The resolute refusal to over-age lets the sweet and nutty flavors dominate.   I think 7 years is the charmed spot for bourbon.  

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

I r@n out this morning to chat with several LS manager I am friendly with.  One had a couple of 1792 bottles I haven’t seen in a few years.  The other had a distributor pick of OFSBBP and a 23b Stagg.  

image1.jpeg

Great pickups.  Yet, I have to ask.  Did you take donuts?  Bourbon and donuts.  Now that is a great time!

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Great pickups.  Yet, I have to ask.  Did you take donuts?  Bourbon and donuts.  Now that is a great time!

Not this time, but soon.  The one manager asked if my wife made fruitcakes this year.  I will take that as a hint.

• I like it 3

Just now, markandrex said:

Not this time, but soon.  The one manager asked if my wife made fruitcakes this year.  I will take that as a hint.

That's a low hurdle.  Fruitcakes?  Really?  I guess they never go bad so he can be eating on it into next year.  I suppose there are some pretty fancy fruitcakes out there.  

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

That's a low hurdle.  Fruitcakes?  Really?  I guess they never go bad so he can be eating on it into next year.  I suppose there are some pretty fancy fruitcakes out there.  

I posted about them in the Christmas goodies and bourbon thread.  She makes them after Halloween and soaks them with Makers Mark.  Then they sit until Thanksgiving.  Really a totally different animal over the typical fruitcake.  Also comes with a bag of sea-salted caramels.

My grocer got some BT in…there were 3 left…one for me, one for a guitar player buddy. 😉 I snap it up when I can…

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, B3Nut said:

My grocer got some BT in…there were 3 left…one for me, one for a guitar player buddy. 😉 I snap it up when I can…

Which guitar player Todd?  😉