What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Winter 2023?

Skinsfan1311

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Last night's Heaven Hill line up.  The JTS Brown is not available in CA and the HH 6yr never was so I traded for them to see what the fuss was about.  I have to say, there's not a lot of difference between the three, which is not that surprising I suppose.  To my palate, HH6 > EW BiB > JTS Brown but all three are solid pours.  I wish I could have put JW Dant in the lineup but I finished off my lone bottle a while ago and haven't been willing to pay the price to import another one into CA.  Cheers! 

Heaven Hill lineup.jpg

Maybe my palate isn't that sophisticated, but I didn't notice much of a difference between the EW & HH.   All things being equal, I wasn't too concerned when the HH 6 year went away, because the EW BiB is readily available

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Last night's Heaven Hill line up.  The JTS Brown is not available in CA and the HH 6yr never was so I traded for them to see what the fuss was about.  I have to say, there's not a lot of difference between the three, which is not that surprising I suppose.  To my palate, HH6 > EW BiB > JTS Brown but all three are solid pours.  I wish I could have put JW Dant in the lineup but I finished off my lone bottle a while ago and haven't been willing to pay the price to import another one into CA.  Cheers! 

Heaven Hill lineup.jpg

FWIW, My HH BIB Blend is  Dant, Brown and EW. 😎

• I like it 1

Grabbed a pour of BT to sit down and watch Chiefs v Ravens.  It is a cold, misty and dreary day.  I just didn’t feel like going to the neighbors so, time to light the fire and relax.

• I like it 4

Time for a refill on the BT.  Good game, if you are a Detroit fan.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

On 1/28/2024 at 11:14 AM, fosmith said:

Heaven Hill lineup.jpg

Welcome to my world.

For me, the EW B.I.B. has been perceived as sort of variable from batch to batch.  They were all at least ok.  There was a point a couple years ago, I could have sworn it was older whiskey, or at least some honey barrels in the batch.

• I like it 1

I wanted KC9y/120. But it did not want me. Cork did what KC corks evidently do, playing all "hard to get". I'll need some pliers, don't have any in the office. 

So Larceny C922 instead. Seems like a nice compensation prize.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

I had a very productive day, so a “Whiskey of Distinction” is warranted.  One Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey coming up!  

7EA3A312-28D7-480C-9816-F37327068AC2.jpeg

• I like it 7

Yesterday was WT101, KC9, finished with a ECBP C 922. A tasty evening!!!

• I like it 4

Last night I had a couple of pours of HH7  BIB. That’s all. 💁‍♂️

• I like it 3

On 1/29/2024 at 5:09 PM, smokinjoe said:

I had a very productive day, so a “Whiskey of Distinction” is warranted.  One Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey coming up!  

How does that compare to Mellow Corn?  

On 1/29/2024 at 5:09 PM, smokinjoe said:

Is that a dusty or is it still being bottled.

I thought at one point it was phased out.

Also remember seeing photos of the older label with the stars and bars.

Yesterday was a OF 1910, Bulliet and finished with a nice MM BEP!!

• I like it 3

OK, took a few days. But I declare Victory at The Battle of the KC Cork.

KC9 120 Cork Win.jpg

• I like it 6

I've been hitting this blend hard since last week,  and I think it's one of the best I've come up with.   Both are MGP distillate;  the Penelope is an odd single barrel I found in Hadden Heights NJ.    For some reason the store owner picked a 95% corn/5% malted barley mashbill, then subjected it to a #5 char. 5 years old, cask strength   The result is like Balcones True Blue,  at a higher proof.  The Remus is their new "highest rye"  mashbill release, with 51% corn, 49% malted/unmalted rye. 6 years old and at a nice proof point - 109.

Turns out that these are two weirdass mashbills that blend perfectly together.   Deep, rich and balanced.  It's so good that I'm going to sacrifice half of each bottle for a full bottle of this blend to drink down and enjoy.  

The Port of Harlem Jazzmen approve.

20240131_233548.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 6

Batch 17. Still seems rather hot. May have to sit longer.

Stagg Jr 128.7.jpg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Batch 17. Still seems rather hot. May have to sit longer.

Stagg Jr 128.7.jpg

128 proof?

How could it possibly be hot?🤔😁

• I like it 1

Some Old Fitzgerald 14yr tonight.  It was beautiful today.  I spend about 3+ hours out back with the dog.  She didn’t want to come inside either.  Chicken lured her.   You can guess on my incentive.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20240201_194136.thumb.jpg.a8c2e6f2a9c8de83659225dae36f3c14.jpg

Happy Friday Eve!

I’ll join you. 😁

IMG_4825.gif.46333a13cfe8fc3f8523734816457ae3.gif

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

128 proof?

How could it possibly be hot?🤔😁

There is That. I think of I've gotten spoiled. GTS at 135, some JD Ryes in 127 - 132 range, ECBP C923 - these were hot but did not drink that way at all.

It still is a source of amazement to me how differently some things drink.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

There is That. I think of I've gotten spoiled. GTS at 135, some JD Ryes in 127 - 132 range, ECBP C923 - these were hot but did not drink that way at all.

It still is a source of amazement to me how differently some things drink.

Agreed.   GTS drinks waaaaaaaay under its proof....

• I like it 2

The KC the other night made me want Bookers. In think I prefer the younger, peanut-ier, sweeter, less oaky Bookers. 

Booker 2022-4.jpg

• I like it 3