Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Couple bourbon moments in Seven Psychopaths, which is great movie to boot.

Colin Farrell plays an Irish-American alcoholic (ha) and at one point we see him pulling straight from a bottle of BT. Then later, he goes thru a bottle of bourbon over the course of a night (which seemed to be a fake brand --- orange label and I think it was called 'Golden Bourbon').

Great oddball flic with a lot of awesome moments from Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell as well as Farrell.

Edited by p_elliott

• 2 weeks later...

In episode 1 of the new American version of House of Cards (streaming on Netflix), Kevin Spacey's character offers a fellow congressman with some substance abuse issues a nice neat pour of Blanton's by name....

Thanks for the reference Steve, just clicked and saved it on Netfiix. First ten minutes of the first program looks like a promising adaptation of the brilliant British series of the same name.

Watching the 80's Charles Bronson flic, "10 to Midnight"... and the bad-guy pours a bottle of Early Times whisky into a toilet.

At least he did one good deed for society.

:bis:

I'd say that's just bad manners, he could've used vodka.

Well, he did previously use one shot of it to (apparently) knock out a hooker. Maybe I missed something while I was concentrating on the whisky bottle, but at face value... hard to imagine a shot of 80 proof juice putting a 'pro' to sleep. :)

I sure know Lynyrd Skynyrd sang about Old Grand Dad in there song "Whiskey Rock n' Roller", but I guess I read the Bond thing a while ago, somewhere in the net!:cool:

Spent part of Groundhog Day watching Bill Murray in "Groundhog's Day". There is a scene where Murray is in the B&B living room in his pj's with other guests watching "Jeapordy". He answers a question before Trebek gets 2 words of the clue out, then reaches over and takes a swig from a fifth of Beam Black.

Fairly certain I've seen Raylan have a few pours of Ancient Ancient Age this season on Justified.

Fairly certain I've seen Raylan have a few pours of Ancient Ancient Age this season on Justified.

Is that what that mystery bottle is? I couldn't quite ID it.

Is that what that mystery bottle is? I couldn't quite ID it.

Yep, that is what he's been pouring lately. Recognized the bottle a couple of weeks ago and thought about posting, but held off. Good observation!! Love AAA 10 yr!

The brown liquor appears again, in I believe what is episode 8 of House of Cards, as Kevin Spacey and three old chums from his military college days (the imaginatively named "The Sentinel"), already drunk, proceed to down two bottles of Maker's Mark that they purloin from the bar at closing time.

Just finished watching "Grownups", and noticed a scene where David Spade's drunken character is drining "Old Crow" from the bottle.

BTW, here's is Wiki's report of it's Critical Reception:

The film was heavily panned by critics; review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 9% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 161 reviews, with an average score of 3.3/10, and its consensus states that "Grown Ups' cast of comedy vets is amiable, but they're let up by poor direction and the scattershot, lowbrow humor of a stunted script."[7] Metacritic awarded the film an average score of 30 out of 100 based on 32 reviews.[8] Rob Schneider was nominated for a Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor.

To which I say:

I don't give a sh!$. I laughed my arse off several times during the movie. It's one of those spastic, juvenile, sometimes tacky comedies in the vein of "Meatballs", Caddyshack, etc. that is just funny while drinking some beer and whiskey on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Yep, sometimes "...scattershot, lowbrow humor..." is just what I'm looking for.

Salma Hayek in a bathing suit is always a good addition, as well...:yum:

I caught the tail end of "The Punisher" the other day. At the end, when Frank Castle was about to end it all, there was a glass and a bottle of WT on the table beside him.

I caught the tail end of "The Punisher" the other day. At the end, when Frank Castle was about to end it all, there was a glass and a bottle of WT on the table beside him.

I saw that also. If I'm not mistaken it looked like the rye. I bet he got the 101 the lucky sob.

Training officer John Cooper was hitting the Maker's Mark at the end of the season premiere of Southland last night....

Watched an episode of South Park last night where they dealt with asperger syndrome and the matrix movies. They used Jamison's Irish whisky as a serum that allowed them to see the truth in the world.

Hey, there was bourbon on this week's Justified -- fijate! Boyd Crowder and Harlan County's jetset talked high-end Wild Turkey product, and Art the Boss was pouring some Blanton's towards the end of the epi....

Flipping through the channels last night and happened upon a show called Storage Hunters, where they buy storage lockers that other people defaulted on. I was about to keep surfing when the guy on the show opened the armoire, and found a box of cigars and 4 bottles of whiskey, including a Bushmill's, a Midleton, and a Hirsch 28. Made me want to go buy some storage lockers. The guy on the show seemed to think he could get money for it, but as far as I understand it would be a gray-market sale. He should just drink the stuff.

Hey, there was bourbon on this week's Justified -- fijate! Boyd Crowder and Harlan County's jetset talked high-end Wild Turkey product, and Art the Boss was pouring some Blanton's towards the end of the epi....

Art always keeps a bottle of Blanton's in his desk. At that party Jimmy Russell got a shoutout as well.