What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I cracked open a Kahn's selection OWA. Blah...

Has any other of the Indy brethern had this one yet?

Does it really suck, or is it just me????:skep:

I had my first taste of regular Evan Williams black over the last couple of days. I was greatly surprised at the taste with vanilla, oak, rye and tobacco? Good value bourbon.

Well, I cracked open a Kahn's selection OWA. Blah...

Has any other of the Indy brethern had this one yet?

Does it really suck, or is it just me????:skep:

I felt the same way about a Cork 'n Bottle OWA single barrel I purchased. By the time I was half was through with it, it definitely opened up a little bit and somehow turned into the best OWA I ever had. Since then I always keep an empty bottle around to help it oxidize quicker. Give it time, I'm sure it'll come around.

Very much enjoying a glass of ORVW 90, from 04. Just great, almost buttery. My favorite OWA so far is also from 04. Wounder if they are related in any way? I never really gave the 90 much attention with the 107 out there but it is very nice. I have next to look forward to a 02 in the 90 proof. Expect great things.

Bowling night tonight. Gary brought some OGD BIB. It was pretty darn good. I brought a treat as well. Weller 12........Everett's. :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: Cheers Paul! Joe

I finished off a bottle of 4Roses SB Barrel Strength, OBSQ. At first as wasn't a huge fan, but this bottle grew on me over time. the flavor is a little lighter and subter, more fruit, less spice. I enjoyed it, but probably won't buy another bottle at its current price point.

Last night started with OGD 114 '80

then Parkers Heritage Wheated,

then JRPS 17,

then Willett 17yr,

then WTKS '03

and finished up with more Parkers Wheated.

Loves me some Parkers.

WT tradition before dinner and uncut Blanton’s after. The uncut brand didn’t impress at all, but I hope it will improve over time.

‘

Leif

Hey Robert, try the current Old Overholt - you may be surprised.

Sampling now Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve, a Canadian whisky aged in barrels made from Canadian oak felled from 150 year old trees. (The trees needed culling to promote the growth of young trees in the same stand, so it's win win). The presentation box states the Canadian white oak has a tighter grain than U.S. oak and a rich vanilla flavour.

I certainly agree with that. The wood flavours are rich and sweet like good buttercream. I get some (not too much) distillery character, rye-type, and overall the taste is very good. Heavy rich whisky but still in the Canadian style. I'll try to bring some of this next spring to Sampler.

Gary

Trying Four Roses Yellow Label for the first time. I've been slowly starting to admire a few of the FR products as of lately. It all came down to a bottle of FR1B and a few ice cubes, but that's a different story. I usually don't purchase much of anything under 100 proof, but this was a new addition at a local store so I thought I would give it a try.

It's a very light whiskey with not a whole lot going on. It is very easy to drink. A grainy aroma that isn't too sweet, and isn't too bitter. The taste is pretty flat, with a nice marriage of corn and rye. No burn, as expected at 80 proof. The finish is somewhat short, but it leaves a soft rye flavor in your mouth for a minute or so. Not nearly as much bite as it's neighbors on the shelf, OGD & WT.

$20 even for the bottle. A little overpriced when OGDBIB & WT101 go for $16 & $21 respectively. If this were BIB, I believe I would be much more impressed with both the flavor, and the price point.

I adore the current OGD 114. And, I've said several times that I prefer it to the ND 114. But, tonight I'm sipping on an '82 ND 114, and it is really wonderful. So good, that I dare not compare it to the current, as I don't want to have to go on a regional bottle hunt for this dusty! :o

That being said, I will be consistent in one thing: I still see no similarities at all between the ND and current iteration...regardless, of what we hear about the mashbill/recipe being the same. Night and Day.

Gary, I'll try some OO again and see what I find. I had bought a bottle once and ended up giving away 2/3 of it as I found it sweetly cloying like a mild syrup with not much going on.

I just got home from dinner and am having a pour of Saz 18. I like the Saz 18's refinement and it makes me wish for more aged ryes.

The current OO has some of the Beam "yeast" markers but with an appetizing lemon drops note and good smokiness. Together it makes for a palate of surprising complexity.

A good sipper, I don't think it will disappoint!

Gary

Bought a bottle of OF Signature today. Been a while since I had some. This IMO is a very approachable whiskey at a great price point.

Joe :usflag:

Bought a bottle of OF Signature today. Been a while since I had some. This IMO is a very approachable whiskey at a great price point.

Joe :usflag:

I've still yet to make my way to the OFS. I've been buying the rest of the bottles of OFBIB that are still on the shelf locally, then I'll make the switch.

DING DING....why the hell haven't I put them side by side?

My version of an ice cream sundae minus the ice cream. 86 proof 1980 ND Old Taylor with all of its butterscotch goodness followed by an Old Fitz BIB from 2001 which is heavy on the peanuts. The Old Fitz BIB is an early label DSP-KY 1/ bottled at DSP 31 which I understand from a posting back on 2/24/01 by =John= (Lipman) was not made by Heaven Hill but UD product made before 1999. It is really excellent whiskey and much better to me than the more recent Heaven Hill Old Fitz product which John thought would be better. John though, still appears to be quite the keen prognosticator on the Heaven Hill made wheat juice (as long as it is aged longer) considering the rave comments for the 2010 PHC release.

"Even though OF-BIB is only supposed to be 4 - 5 years old, up until very recently, the labels have all stated it was distilled at DSP-16 (Stitzel-Weller) and bottled at DSP-24 (the bottling plant at Glenmore in Owensboro). New bottles are now labelled showing it to be distilled at Bernheim (DSP-01) and bottled at Heaven Hill (DSP-31). This bourbon wasn't made by Heaven Hill, though; it was UD product made before 1999. Heaven Hill has gone through some pains to improve and "humanize" the distilling process at Bernheim, so their version of Old Fitz should be even better."

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180

I cracked open my first bottle of Weller 12 and I was really impressed. This could become the wheated brother to EC12, my other favorite pour at around $20.

Hancock's... for the first time in a long time. Not the best pour around but, the way this week has been going, it'll do.

A too generous pour of '07 Saz 18 while I relax with Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw on my Nook.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!