Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you ever get a hit, don't forget your friends. :grin: I've yet to see one other than on Joe's table.

As a recent convert to the revelation that is barrel proof, what other pours in that price range are you liking? I have several FRSB that I like in that range but have seen precious little else. PM if you would like to avoid my thread hijack. :cool:

NW ... I was not limiting myself to only barrel proofs when I made my statement.

NW ... I was not limiting myself to only barrel proofs when I made my statement.

Hey, thanks! I will add one more to my list. I forgot my TPS Old Scout Smooth Ambler 7 Year BP. I just enjoyed a little tonight. Not as refined as some but still pretty enjoyable.

Is everything on the shelf today batch 1?

Batch 2 is reportedly in the wild in some areas. I haven't seen it.

How can one identify?

Proof, I believe. 134.2 on the 1st batch, and somewhere in the 137 range with the second.

Proof, I believe. 134.2 on the 1st batch, and somewhere in the 137 range with the second.

Yes, that is what has been reported. 137 even I think.

Okay, got the 137 and just took two sips. Neat, the nose is cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. I mean, like serious dry cinnamon sticks for mulled wine. On the palate it's light-colored wood (I guess polished wood or laminate or something like that, not fresh and not deep or resinous), alcohol, and this really nice chocolate covered cherry note that lasts through the finish. Very nice! It's like a wheater!

With 2 mls water to 15 mls EC12BP, the nose is softer but on the palate it's a lot spicier and rougher. I like it better neat, darn it. The chocolate covered cherries are really fun smile.png

Sorry, I can't do a comparison tasting, as I missed the boat on the first release.

Edit: why did they release this in the summer?!?!

I'd be happy to volunteer for a blind SBS if someone wants to send me some of Batch 2. I know, it would be a chore and probably an inconvenience, but I'm prepared to take one for the team ;)

I'm experiencing a problem with my bottle of ECBP. Either there is an unusually high evaporation rate going on or there is a leak in the bottle. My investigation into this rapidly diminishing juice is ongoing.

I'm experiencing a problem with my bottle of ECBP. Either there is an unusually high evaporation rate going on or there is a leak in the bottle. My investigation into this rapidly diminishing juice is ongoing.

I understand the reports of this problem are widespread. Being naturally inquisitive, I will investigate with my own stock.

My bottle seems to have just been depleted a bit as well. Fortunately, a little bit goes a long way at this proof.

I had some of the first batch at a fantastic local Bourbon bar the other night. I have to say its one of my current favorites. I'm on the hunt for a bottle now, looks to be a very limited release.

Does anyone have any info on future releases of the Barrel Proof?

Matt

I had some of the first batch at a fantastic local Bourbon bar the other night. I have to say its one of my current favorites. I'm on the hunt for a bottle now, looks to be a very limited release.

Does anyone have any info on future releases of the Barrel Proof?

Matt

Batch 2 at 137 proof is out in at least some locations. Not sure where exactly. Lots of speculation but no real evidence on the long term future.

I've got to be honest if I find it Ill take the risk and buy it all. I really like the Batch 1 and a single bottle is not going to be enough to last...

For Western Washington SB'ers I just spotted 3 bottles today. I took one to finish my bunker and left 2 on the shelf. PM me for details if interested.

So, for those with question on the color, here are a couple photos with PVW 23 (my highest aged bourbon) for comparison .

post-10172-14489819598321_thumb.jpg

Money shot

post-10172-14489819598725_thumb.jpg

post-10172-14489819598321_thumb.jpg

post-10172-14489819598725_thumb.jpg

Well, damn. Guess its not such a bad evening in the NW?

Life is good to be sure! I must confess, the EJBP won out over the PVW23 that cost 5x as much. Go figger.

That would be my opinion as well. Might be a tougher call with a 20 year, depending on my mood.

So does this mean that I have to basically check my local stores daily just see if I can hit on some before they run out? I have sent out feelers but who knows how much will get allocated locally.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.