Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Awesome, you sir have provided something we have been lacking. If you would like a second opinion I would feel duty bound to accept a bottle of batch 2 from you to throw into my rotation. :cool:

Great notes and I only have batch one and a few GS bottles,not even a hint of the batch 2 around here.

Great notes and I only have batch one and a few GS bottles,not even a hint of the batch 2 around here.

I've been told from unreliable sources that GA will not get batch 2 till november. Mine came from SC I think.

Thanks for the great tasting notes MJB.

I was just able to sit down with both batch 1 and 2 tonight. Just finished sipping on them.

Color: I can't really tell the color apart.

Nose:

134.2: dark chocolate, caramel, candied fruit, burnt sugar, vanilla, nutty, cinnamon, wood, slight hint of potpourri

137: dark chocolate, caramel, dried candied fruit, burnt sugar, slight vanilla, nutty, cinnamon, slightly heavier wood, heavier hint of potpourri, slightly livelier in smell, hint of citrus, lighter overall nose

Palate:

134.2: Dark chocolate, burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, wood, cinnamon, candied dried fruit

137: dark chocolate, burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, slightly heavier wood, cinnamon, candied dried fruit, citrus

Finish:

134.2: vanilla, wood, cinnamon

137: vanilla, slightly heavier wood, cinnamon, citrus

The above are notes from tasting neat. My mouth was pretty toast after that. Had to give it a good rest before doing the tasting comparisons with adding water and then ice.

When tasted neat, they were very similar. The only thing I could pick out was that 134.2 was ever so slightly smoother than 137. 134.2 was darker in flavor and feel while 137 was a little brighter/livelier with a hint of citrus.

The bigger difference for my palate was when I started adding water. I added one teaspoon of water to each, then 2, then 3, and finally 4. One teaspoon and 2 teaspoon really opened up 137 and it began to become smoother than 134.2 while also becoming livelier and more enjoyable. 134.2 just remained about the same and never got more interesting. The water brought more flavors as well as sweetness out of the 137.

Adding ice was very similar for both. It could be that my taste buds were pretty fried by then. I would be happy with either but if I had to pick one, it would be 137 (batch 2).

Enjoy!

Edit: forgot to also add that adding water also added a cut grass/slight grassy element. A little in the palate but slightly more in the finish.

Edit2: picking up some nutmeg now on palate and finish with some more sips of the 137 batch 2.

Edited by hn4bourbon

Thanks for the great tasting notes MJB.

Edit: forgot to also add that adding water also added a cut grass/slight grassy element. A little in the palate but slightly more in the finish.

No problem just happy to see someone confirm some of what I got.

The edit is dead on and I couldn't put my finder on the flavor but cut grass is it, though I would say after the first addition of water I got hey and the more water I added the more it seemed to taper toward the cut grass.

No problem just happy to see someone confirm some of what I got.

The edit is dead on and I couldn't put my finder on the flavor but cut grass is it, though I would say after the first addition of water I got hey and the more water I added the more it seemed to taper toward the cut grass.

I can go with that as well. I've gotta say, that wood sweetness, grassy sweetness, cinnamon, citrus sweetness is still there lingering at the back of my throat. Tasty indeed...

Thanks MJB and hn4bourbon!! Sounds like any concern that future batches would pale in comparison (in palate, color, etc) isn't a valid concern!

Thanks MJB and hn4bourbon!! Sounds like any concern that future batches would pale in comparison (in palate, color, etc) isn't a valid concern!

Exactly. have not seen or tasted Batch 2, but I was concerned that Batch 1 would be a one-off and that future batches would not be as good. Obviously not.

HH has hit a home-run here, and the price to value quotient here is a GrandSlam homerun. This has to be Whiskey of the Year hands down, at least until we get the 2013 FR SmB LE.

The only concern I have with it is where is the price going to end up. At $40 is the deal of the century. I'd happily pay double that...lets hope they don't figure that out.

Nice tasting notes guys. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts on batches 1 and 2.

At $40 is the deal of the century. I'd happily pay double that...lets hope they don't figure that out.

SSSSShhhhhhhhh! What i believe you meant to say is "Not a penny over $39.99, otherwise i'm heading elsewhere"

Indeed MJB and Hn4b, great job and many thanks for y'alls comparative notes. Well done!

:toast:

Thanks guys for the kind words and I'm glad I am able to contribute a little:) I'm slowly getting there with picking out stuff in tastings.

I'm happy to contribute as well.

On a slightly related note I picked up some Stagg Jr today, despite the mixed reviews I wanted to give it a try myself. I drank a little tonight but I want to sit down and have a glass when I have time to take notes before I pass judgement. My initial impression is that its good but not great. Totally different profile from the ECBP.

Anyone seeing this in Indiana or Louisville?

Negative. I will give you all a heads up when more is scheduled to land. I'm betting they get some out before the bourbon festival but I wouldn't expect much.

Several of the larger stores in my area got a case of 3 bottles for this second batch. They were out in a matter of days. Only one single store got 6 bottles of batch 1 several months ago.

Edited by hn4bourbon

Several of the larger stores in my area got a case of 3 bottles for this second batch. They were out in a matter of days. Only one single store got 6 bottles of batch 1 several months ago.

I think we'd be interested in what state that would be in?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.