Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeah, that's pretty much what it means.

Well, that's no fun! Or is it? I will check but not go too far out of my way. Too many other options.

I'm looking for something with a similar flavor profile, anyone have any suggestions?

I have a fair selection of barrel strength/proof and I don't think any of them have a reasonable comparison to the Elijah. It is a little flatter than the more expensive offering but the Elijah seems to have a bit more vanilla and char? If I had to compare it to one thing that I have it would be Booker's but honestly they are not that close. You may need to go down into the broader offering to look for a comparable but even there I can't say I can think of a good selection.

Agree with NW. The closest thing I have is a GTS (which isn't any more readily available!) I can't think of anything like it that is widely distributed. Bookers has a similar mouthfeel to me, and also has a lot of chocolate going on - but I wouldn't mistake one for the other. I keep trying to find something that I clearly like more than ECBP . . . and having no luck thus far.

I had a pour of PHC BoM with the ECBP last night and I definitely like the PHC better. I do have to say that the value proposition for the ECBP is simply outstanding. I have built a nice little bunker but will prolly wish I had more some day.

That's where I am with it. It's a top notch whiskey, and an amazing value proposition, but I don't prefer it to PHC6 or GTS, or barrel proof FR for that matter. But damn is it good! And I'm very lucky to have as many as I do.

Wow, I just do not get the love for the PHC 6th. I finally finished my bottle that had been open since October last night, and while the final pour was the best (isn't it always?), the bottle never hit me as anything other than a hidden dud. I found it velvety, elegant and without personality. Plenty of burn but no oomph, and the only defining characteristic I got from it was a bland neutrality, as of the two mashbills simply canceled each other out.

For me, the ECBP is tied with FRLE1B '13 for best new release of the year. No, it's not the most complex whiskey, but it's rich and chock full of the HH distillery character. It needs a little water IMO, but that doesn't bother me, and it's QPR is outstanding.

I would say that if you're looking for an alternative to the ECBP, track down some HH 6yo BiB, which while certainly not as developed, is still brimming with the flavors that I savor in HH products. At $11 a bottle, nothing approaches its QPR.

Wow, I just do not get the love for the PHC 6th. I finally finished my bottle that had been open since October last night, and while the final pour was the best (isn't it always?), the bottle never hit me as anything other than a hidden dud. I found it velvety, elegant and without personality. Plenty of burn but no oomph, and the only defining characteristic I got from it was a bland neutrality, as of the two mashbills simply canceled each other out.

For me, the ECBP is tied with FRLE1B '13 for best new release of the year. No, it's not the most complex whiskey, but it's rich and chock full of the HH distillery character. It needs a little water IMO, but that doesn't bother me, and it's QPR is outstanding.

I would say that if you're looking for an alternative to the ECBP, track down some HH 6yo BiB, which while certainly not as developed, is still brimming with the flavors that I savor in HH products. At $11 a bottle, nothing approaches its QPR.

Seems to me that you either love the last PHC or find it simply meh. I am in the love it camp. Second only to GTS for me right now. As stated above, I think the ECBP hangs with every FRSBBP I have at a lower price point. I would even put it in roughly the same category as the FRSBLE. Obviously the juice has a very different profile than the FR but it stands in well with those established bottles.

I would also cast a vote for this being in the top new releases so far this year. If the vote is value weighted the ECBP is clearly number one in my book.

I was afraid these were the answers I would get. I suppose its time to stockpile some ecbp.

And some other brands as well since they don't near match one another you will have to get at least one of each.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but I downloaded your Bourbon, Straight to the wife's Kindle last weekend and read the whole thing at one sitting and quite a few pours. Absolutely fascinating and enjoyable read.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I wish this were easier to find around these parts whereas ECBP has been surprisingly easy to find.

I wish this were easier to find around these parts whereas ECBP has been surprisingly easy to find.

I think the HH 6yr BIB is Kentucky release only. Maybe, Indiana? Aaron's right, it is awesomely delicious whiskey, and truly a great bargain.

I was afraid these were the answers I would get. I suppose its time to stockpile some ecbp.

What?! You mean you haven't yet?! :smiley_acbt: Get movin' !

I think the HH 6yr BIB is Kentucky release only. Maybe, Indiana? Aaron's right, it is awesomely delicious whiskey, and truly a great bargain.
Bernie Lubbers says it's KY and IN only. It's quite easy to find in KY, but not so much here. I've only ever found it at one store (Kahn's, Keystone Ave) but they were sold out when I went in there today.

It does show up occasionally in Indiana.

I've seen it on the shelf at one Virginia ABC store.

They even took down the sticker for it around here because they said they're not sure when they'll get anymore. I was told there's still a good bit Richmond and east, and then around NoVa.

They even took down the sticker for it around here because they said they're not sure when they'll get anymore. I was told there's still a good bit Richmond and east, and then around NoVa.

I'm kicking myself for not buying some when I had the chance; although I saw it before my usual source (TPS) got a nastygram from ABC and stopped shipping here.

I got really lucky today. I stopped into a random liquor store I had never heard of and they had a nice selection of bourbon as well as Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig Single Barrels they had bottled for the store. On the recommendation of one of the employees I picked up a few bottles of each and I was complaining about not being able to find the ECBP. One of the girls there disappears into the back and comes back with a bottle. Apparently they don't put out the hard to get stuff for people to come in and cherry pick. They only sell it to good customers.

I think I have found my new liquor store...

I got really lucky today. I stopped into a random liquor store I had never heard of and they had a nice selection of bourbon as well as Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig Single Barrels they had bottled for the store. On the recommendation of one of the employees I picked up a few bottles of each and I was complaining about not being able to find the ECBP. One of the girls there disappears into the back and comes back with a bottle. Apparently they don't put out the hard to get stuff for people to come in and cherry pick. They only sell it to good customers.

I think I have found my new liquor store...

Glad you were able to find a bottle!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.