Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CA retailer just a restock and marked it at $140. Also some Smooth Ambler 19yo for close to $400!

I saw this on that retailer's website yesterday. I have ordered from them in the past and I'm disappointed that they would resort to this kind of price gauging. It will certainly make me think twice before ordering from them again. This is actually where I got my first ECBP when it first came out... For $45.... I guess the store manager is a member of BX...

I saw this on that retailer's website yesterday. I have ordered from them in the past and I'm disappointed that they would resort to this kind of price gauging. It will certainly make me think twice before ordering from them again. This is actually where I got my first ECBP when it first came out... For $45.... I guess the store manager is a member of BX...

BX or not, that bottle will be sitting on a shelf collecting dust for many years to come at $140.

Yeah, we had a store here in Indy that was selling a bottle for $99. I'm not sure if they ever sold it or not, but that was a couple of months ago.

Yeah, we had a store here in Indy that was selling a bottle for $99. I'm not sure if they ever sold it or not, but that was a couple of months ago.

Nope they still have them for that price although now it is the 137 batch. They may have sold the 134.2 at that price. If so the PT Barnum saying came true again.

Finally batch 2 in VA! Can't wait to compare to batch 1. Not sure how widespread it is but I purchased all three at the store that called me (one for me, one for brother, one for friend).

It finally made it to Florida this weekend.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it. It is a solid pour. I don't really like it neat, but it tastes really good with a few cubes of ice in a rocks glass or in a blend with EC12. Enjoy! It is always great to get something that you have been waiting for.

The store had been waiting for it for a couple months. Was there last night for a tasting and almost didn't see it came in before I left. Made a great night even better.

I think this one really tastes better with a little water or a few cubes. I diluted it down to about 112 proof. This the flavor that I was hoping for from an amped up EC12.

• 1 month later...

Out in CA it doesn't hit shelves. Dumps 2 and 3 may as well have been BTAC or PVW. I know they came, but was never able to procure any and only saw one in a store's holding pen.

The third batch, devil's batch (66.6%) hit NJ recently. I think we got bypassed on the second batch. Picked up one of the third batch, to add to my two bottles from the first batch.

Any side by side notes yet for the different batches? I haven't seen batch 3 yet.

I don't recall taking notes, but I have had 1 & 2 open for a few months. Extreme family resemblance obviously, but the 2nd is a tad hotter and the 1st has more elegance/integration/whatever word you want to use. I usually drink them both neat, but have done some 1:1 EC12 vatting, as well as made several manhattans with batch #1 before #2 hit. I'll see if I can find the chance to do a SBS in the next few days and will come back with some notes.

Not side by side:

I consumed probably five bottles of batch 1 and working on my first bottle of batch 2 just to see. Batch 1 always bring a small to my face when I drink it, no kidding, and for a while it was my daily pour. Batch 2 appears hotter to me as well and not quite "..." like batch 1, but still quite good. Both always slightly diluted down.

Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with my bottle from batch 2. Batch 1 had that silken, luxurious mouthfeel and deep flavors that, although not necessarily complex, were extensive and sustaining in their depth. Leather, fruit, smoky oak. Batch 2 has the nice mouthfeel again but the flavors just aren't there with the same force. I add water to both batches, and yes batch 2 is hotter and drier. Some thought batch 1 was too hot and dry, a sentiment I couldn't relate to. I get it in batch 2, though. I haven't done a SBS, as I drained my batch 1 bottle months ago, so I'm going from memory here and my disappointment in batch 2 makes me wonder if I'm looking back on batch 1 with a fondness it doesn't deserve... Only one way to find out, of course. Luckily I was able to net a few bottles of batch 1 when it was around, so I'll revisit it eventually.

SKU did a side by side review on his blog that reflects the opinions here. The weird thing is several of us did a SBS as well a day or two before SKU posted and you would have thought he was at our tasting. His comments were spot on with what we found. A few drops of water brought Batch 2 back to a similar profile as 1 but neat there was no comparison. It was 1 all day.

Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with my bottle from batch 2.

batch 1 was gone before I ever knew it was out. After all the raving, when I finally did find a batch 2, I too, was disappointed. Maybe neither wouldve fit my profile likes, but im seeing several guys say 2 didint live up to 1. It'll be interesting to see how 3 is received, though I wont be making a search for it again. If I see it in a bar, yeah, but I'm not tracking down another $50 bottle of it.

Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with my bottle from batch 2. Batch 1 had that silken, luxurious mouthfeel and deep flavors that, although not necessarily complex, were extensive and sustaining in their depth. Leather, fruit, smoky oak. Batch 2 has the nice mouthfeel again but the flavors just aren't there with the same force. I add water to both batches, and yes batch 2 is hotter and drier. Some thought batch 1 was too hot and dry, a sentiment I couldn't relate to. I get it in batch 2, though. I haven't done a SBS, as I drained my batch 1 bottle months ago, so I'm going from memory here and my disappointment in batch 2 makes me wonder if I'm looking back on batch 1 with a fondness it doesn't deserve... Only one way to find out, of course. Luckily I was able to net a few bottles of batch 1 when it was around, so I'll revisit it eventually.

Insightful, unpretentious and precise notes and commentary. I don't expect anything less from the Wonkster. Well done A!

I wish I could help you guys with thoughts on batch 3, 66.6%, but I've had a nasty cold for awhile, and can't seem to shake it. Will try to give it a go soon and report back. I also have a bottle of batch 1 open. Never saw batch 2.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for not being clear earlier. I was mainly asking if there are any sbs notes of batch 3 to 1 and 2. i have both 1 and 2 and have enjoyed both tremendously. Enjoyed 1 slightly more than 2 but 2 is still plenty amazing especially with a little water.

I'm enjoying the read & education on this one....but, to date I've not seen a single bottle of this in west TN. Maybe just not rolled into said market as of yet...soon I hope.

How many batches are there? How can you tell the difference in batches? Is there a master list showing Batch Number vs. proof?

B#1-134.2 prf/B#2-137prf./B#3-133.2prf as far as I know and then the misc.releases at the GS which are assumed to be SB releases and not SmB like the general releases were.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.