What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2013

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

two Makers 46 @ $25 a piece. couldnt pass at that price

Indeed, that is a great price. I can't recall ever seeing pricing on M46 even discounted a little, let alone bombed to anywhere near $25. I would have been tempted to grab a case, if in your shoes.

Indeed, that is a great price. I can't recall ever seeing pricing on M46 even discounted a little, let alone bombed to anywhere near $25. I would have been tempted to grab a case, if in your shoes.

They were the last two at the particular chain liquor store I stopped into. I did not think of asking if they had a case in the back or not though.

got some stuff for the bunker: picked up the 4R & Bulleit rye on sale over the weekend. the Promise of Hope arrived today. the St. George gin and 7L tequila were acquired at a Champagne tasting last Friday. another spree. I've gotta start drinking more; the booze is piling up.

29905bf2-35ea-44c5-89b6-2e4ddc9043d2_zps5fc4417c.jpg

2013 FRSMBLE has finally hit Delaware, managed 2 bottles from a local store more known for their wine selection.. I want to keep it that way!!

Got up very early and stood in line on a cold Saturday morning at LCBO for the right to buy one bottle of each of BTAC.

Bought Stagg, WLW, and Saz 18 (passed on THH & ER17).

With this purchase I'm out of the BTAC/Pappy chase. Prices are now too high to justify buying more.

I've been busy for the last few days so I missed this post. Sazerac 18 at the LCBO, huh? Very interesting. I won't take this thread off topic but I am going to post over here in this thread, as it raises some questions in my mind.

Edit, that thread is closed so I guess I will post it here (sorry mods...)

Smithford discovered that the LCBO did not carry Saz 18 (along with VFWRR and PVW23) because its levels of ethyl carbamate were too high. (Ethyl carbamate is a byproduct of the distilling process, and a suspected carcinogen). US producers began actively reducing their EC levels in 1988, so anything distilled prior to that would likely have levels above the LCBO's standard. As we know from the fact sheets, including this year's, Saz 18 was distilled in 1985. And we know from various sources that it was tanked in the late 2000's to arrest its aging.

So... if the LCBO is now carrying Saz 18, we can make some deductions. Either:

• LCBO doesn't regulate ethyl carbamate any more (I don't know one way or the other, but I doubt it)
  • the EC magically disappeared from the tanked Saz

or:

• The Saz 18 now bottled is post 1988 distillate (which contradicts the "fact" sheet)

or, maybe more likely:

• Enough post 1988 distillate has been added to the tank to bring the concentration of EC low enough to satisfy the LCBO.

Edited by Brisko
orginal thread was closed

A Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope, and a Baby Saz at Wine Shop. Their gouging on Van Winkle Products, but these were MSRP at least. Bottle each WLW12 and WA107 at different place.They have a bottle of PVW 15 for me but the owner was out. And he only knows where it's hidden. Crazy Times.

Ted

A FR Barrel proof store pick OBSO at 126.5, aged 9yr, 8 months. Owners went to Kentucky and picked it out with Jim Rutledge rather than doing samples sent to them.

A bit hot initially but some nice fruity and caramel/burnt brown sugar notes with a long drier finish than the mid palate. A touch of water opens it up nicely!

post-8493-14489820066325_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820066325_thumb.jpg

On the road for work today (thankfully not in a dry part of the state) and took advantage of the opportunity to plunder new territory. Scored a Stagg Jr and ETL x2 for my efforts. ETL has been all but impossible to find in these parts of late and I located two (and there was no more to be had).

The Stagg Jr was a lonely back shelf leftover that the store had been holding for a regular customer. Said customer failed to pick it up and they put it on the retail shelf three days ago. I noted my surprise that a bottle was still available and the clerk responded that he was shocked that it was still on the shelf, as no one seemed to have noticed it until today. :grin:

I know of a lonely bottle of Stagg Jr. hanging around at a store in the Indy area. It has been there for several months. I think people are afraid to go into the neighborhood where the store is located and the people who live in the neighborhood probably think it is too expensive for bourbon. I can't argue against either perspective. :shocked:

Was out doing some Christmas shopping at lunch, and decided to grab a present for myself...:D Picked up a barrel select of Four Roses OBSF. 11yr 3mo @ 116.2.

GTS from a friendly manager who was "saving it for someone who would appreciate it". I guess I proved my bona fides by chatting him up about the Pappy/BTAC craze and the bane of the secondary market. He got a smile on his face and told me to wait here and he would make my Christmas. Have to say its a heck of a start:grin:

Edited by Old Dusty

GTS from a friendly manager who was "saving it for someone who would appreciate it". I guess I proved by bona fides by chatting him up about the Pappy/BTAC craze and the bane of the secondary market. He got a smile on his face and told me to wait here and he would make my Christmas. Have to say its a heck of a start:grin:

Good for him and lucky for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden

Passed a proud PVW 23 for 999.99 and PVW15 for 500.00. I can't recall who said this, "Someone will pay it, someone always does." It won't be this someone.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!