What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well it looks like EW Black is now off my list of bourbons. The new distributor has the product available again (used to be Coles, the new distributor is Think Spirits). I went to Coles today and saw it on the shelf. The price is now $50 (that's a 43% increase) and the proof has been reduced from 86 to 80. I bought a bottle and I can tell you it tastes very different. Not sure who's taking the piss here but I've emailed Heaven Hill to let them know my thoughts. I'll buy any old stock I see (including Virgin Bourbon) though won't be buying EWB at this price/proof again. Complete joke.

Not sure, how do you tell?

Oh yeh and hello/gday, I like your dusty hunting finds, especially those old small WTs, I have personally never come across anything that old in a retail environment and dont think I ever will.

Thank you for the kind words. As to the date of the WT, generally there is date stamp in the bottom of the bottle of when the bottle was produced. This will give you an idea of the vintage of the juice. Some WT also has the date printed on it somewhere (maybe that is a TW thing?).

Cheers!

Went to Costco with the gf today. Still could not pull the trigger on the Kirkland. Just something that doesnt do anything for me. But the gf did pick up a bottle of laphroaig 10yr for $63, which is $20 bucks cheaper than Dans.

Also went past a bottle shop yesterday that had a pretty interesting range of bourbon. I could not buy anything as I had already bought a bottle that day but I am deffinatly going to go back and pick up there High West, Son of Bouyrne(sp) next time I am in the area.

Highly recommend all of the High West offerings. Each one is different and unique. In my area most bottles are in the mid $50's.

They also don't lie about who they are or what they do. Which is important to me.

Thank you for the kind words. As to the date of the WT, generally there is date stamp in the bottom of the bottle of when the bottle was produced. This will give you an idea of the vintage of the juice. Some WT also has the date printed on it somewhere (maybe that is a TW thing?).

Cheers!

I had a look and nothing seems to point to a date. On the base of the bottle there are some printed numbers which are non sequential and no way related to a date, then there was also some numbers which are part of the mould, 700ml 13 S6, again apparently non relevant.

Managed to locate some WT101 8yr and some WT101 rye around town, let me know deathevocation if u want the locations, cos they wont be there in a month!

I had a look and nothing seems to point to a date. On the base of the bottle there are some printed numbers which are non sequential and no way related to a date, then there was also some numbers which are part of the mould, 700ml 13 S6, again apparently non relevant.

Managed to locate some WT101 8yr and some WT101 rye around town, let me know deathevocation if u want the locations, cos they wont be there in a month!

No problem. I have a bit of WT12, 8 and Rye101. A few places still have the rye eh? Still pissed off over the EWB debacle.

It just shows again how little we are thought about that companies think they can still do that. Its not like a few years ago, we now have more options open to us and we do not need to show any sort of loyalty to the brand if they keep dicking us around.

In training for my Kentucky trip now... Had some Makers 46, followed by Jim Beam Honey last night.

In training for my Kentucky trip now... Had some Makers 46, followed by Jim Beam Honey last night.

Yes, you have a responsibility to uphold now! Best wishes and congratulations again!

Drinking some Weller Special Reserve and trying to warm up after getting caught in the rain.

When are you going? Be sure to take plenty of photos for us!

It just shows again how little we are thought about that companies think they can still do that. Its not like a few years ago, we now have more options open to us and we do not need to show any sort of loyalty to the brand if they keep dicking us around.

Yep. I'm not sticking around at that proof or price.

Went to Costco with the gf today. Still could not pull the trigger on the Kirkland. Just something that doesnt do anything for me. But the gf did pick up a bottle of laphroaig 10yr for $63, which is $20 bucks cheaper than Dans.

Also went past a bottle shop yesterday that had a pretty interesting range of bourbon. I could not buy anything as I had already bought a bottle that day but I am deffinatly going to go back and pick up there High West, Son of Bouyrne(sp) next time I am in the area.

Care to share what shop? The one I told you about doesn't appear to be able to get Four Roses, which is next on my list to try.

i noticed some discussion about everyday pours; for me I always have bottles of Blanton's green label and Buffalo Trace you can't go wrong with those two :cool:

After asking the master distiller from Buffalo Trace his favourite bourbon that they don't make and his answer being Russell Reserve, I recently got a bottle. It has been a while since I have tried it but it is a good bourbon, not badly priced either.

Happy to share. Camperdown Cellars on Parramatta road.

They had a fair few things, but the standouts for me were their High West products, CEHT and ER17 and Stagg Jnr.

So, I am a sucker for glasses (the drinking kind not the wearing kind) and Wild Turkey has a promotion on when you spend more than 20 on WT products, you get a free glass and an entry form to win a trip to the derby. There are three glasses to collect (they know how to suck the cash) and I have to say. I like it. Its a nice size, has a good weight and all in all, I am pretty pleased. Its not the cheap crap thing I was expecting. I actually see me using this, instead of just having it on the bar.

So, I am a sucker for glasses (the drinking kind not the wearing kind) and Wild Turkey has a promotion on when you spend more than 20 on WT products, you get a free glass and an entry form to win a trip to the derby. There are three glasses to collect (they know how to suck the cash) and I have to say. I like it. Its a nice size, has a good weight and all in all, I am pretty pleased. Its not the cheap crap thing I was expecting. I actually see me using this, instead of just having it on the bar.

Thanks for the heads up, where are the promos? BWS?

Mine was at The little bottler. But I am pretty sure thats a NSW only chain.

Must be as I've never heard of it.

Mine was at The little bottler. But I am pretty sure thats a NSW only chain.

cool. That's a thirsty camel in my neck of the woods, whats the difference between the glasses? BTW Bulliet Rye for me today, just 2. I really enjoy this stuff!

There are three different designs. post-10032-14489820668284_thumb.jpg

Oh and I am drinking WT Rare RDT.

Edited by Vietish

Headsup to the Victorians here, Whiskey and Alement have a couple good tastings on offer

http://www.whiskyandale.com.au/events/american-craft-whiskey-tasting/

1 Koval Single Barrel Whiskey – 4 Grain

2 Koval Single Barrel Whiskey – Bourbon

3 FEW Bourbon Whiskey

4 Balcones Single Malt Whisky Special Release

5 Balcones Baby Blue Corn Whisky

$40 per head - cant argue with that value, I will be checking it out for sure

And

http://goodbeerweek.com.au/events/view/240/Brooklyn%20hearts%20Woodford

Which is a joint Woodfords and Brooklyn Brewery "boilermaker" session. I went to this one last year and it was good, we tasted Woodfords newmake, woodfords reserve, and the woodfords rye collection (two different barrrel types) also got to taste some pretty awesome limited edition Brooklyn beers. I dont know what they are doing this year but I probably wont go, once is enough for me.

$80 per head

The highlight for me was a limited release black Brooklyn beer which had been finished in an old woodfords cask, it was up around the 11% alc mark and there was an umistakeable bourbony sweet finish to it, big beer and almost worth the price of admission alone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.