What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Broken record here: Johnny Drum Black Label (because I'm trying to get rid of it) and OGDBIB, because I need to reward my taste buds after drinking the JDBL. The more I get into the JDBL, the more I don't like it. Like some other young bourbons, it has a "cardboard" taste that just says "meh". The more I get into the OGDBIB, the more I like it. The wisdom of squire applies here once again.

Every now and then a bottle is so bad it's just easier to pour it down the drain.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow SB'er I tried Olf Fitz 12yr in a SBS with Larceny. Enjoyed both, preferred the Larceny. I am finding that my taste preference favors the slightly younger expressions. That said I missed the rye in both as I do with most wheaters but either would be a great change of pace pour.

Last night it was an HH night with the new EWSB2005, Ritt rye, the wheated Try Box new make, Larceny, Bernheim 7yo, and the PHC wheated whiskey along with some excellent tapa style plates. Capped it off with a bit of cheesecake, HHSS1 and whiskey gossip with the HH rep!

I seem to recall him saying that we may see EWSB2006 earlier this year than they normally start releasing it. Which means it will be a good deal less than 10yo. I wonder if they are starting to run low?

Or give it to your brother in law which is much the same thing.

My cheap stake brother in law would no good bourbon if it slapped in the face and he would just complain about the bottle being open. Ungrateful sob

Cracked an OESK from a barrel bought by a friend of a friend of a friend. Very dark, a little hot, but so delicious. Different than the OESK I had earlier this year.

Last of a sample of ER101 from a member.

Quite a treat sampling something I won't likely have again.

B

Opened a bottle I bought a couple of years ago. Hancock Presidents Reserve store selection from Liquor Barn. Not at all a bad pour.

I had somewhat of a guys night out with Vosgar tonight. :skep: We went out to a local bar/restaurant to have a couple of pours, and to visit the manager, who we know. I had pours of ER, Booker's, and Stagg JR. Gary had a few pours too. ORVW 10/107, and a couple of others I don't remember. :rolleyes: Matt the manager was surprised, and happy to see us. It was a fun night.

When I got home, I settled in with a nice pour of SB HHSS. Don't git much better'n that. :cool: A great evening all around. :grin:

Cheers! Joe

A non-traditional evening. Started with some Slow & Low Rock & Rye, then a Fernet Branca & Coke. Now some Belle Meade Sherry Cask.

I had somewhat of a guys night out with Vosgar tonight. :skep: We went out to a local bar/restaurant to have a couple of pours, and to visit the manager, who we know. I had pours of ER, Booker's, and Stagg JR. Gary had a few pours too. ORVW 10/107, and a couple of others I don't remember.

I was all over the place. Besides the ORVW, had some HW Campfire and Teelings Rum Cask Finish Irish..... in that order. Doesn't look like a natural progression by any means, but each held their own and were very tasty!

a small pour of the WFE 8 year, and to make myself eat my comments on it the other day, it is very enjoyable tonight.

Or give it to your brother in law which is much the same thing.

Hahaha. I couldn't do that to my brother-in-law, he's a nice guy. He's the one that introduced me to Handy and Stagg after all and sent me down this path.

I did decide to take TT's advice and poured the rest down the drain. Some things you just can't redeem.

I have greatly improved my situation with some standard BT this evening followed with some Booker's.

Enjoyed some WTRB tonight. First time I've had it in a while and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Solid stuff.

Having some Elijah Craig 12y (the old label). Saw two of the old labels earlier this week at a store that I popped into so I pick both of them up, and I am glad that I did, very good batch. Very oily and thick with no burn.

post-9285-14489821899961_thumb.jpg

SBS of 8 year WFE and 8 year SAOS. within .35 proof of one another. Id be hard pressed to tell a difference between them. Thank you SAOS for giving us what we want (aged barrel proofers), without bending us over to get it. I will be a repeat customer of SAOS

SBS of 8 year WFE and 8 year SAOS. within .35 proof of one another. Id be hard pressed to tell a difference between them. Thank you SAOS for giving us what we want (aged barrel proofers), without bending us over to get it. I will be a repeat customer of SAOS
They make great stuff. Our local store select barrel of SAOS8 is $39 and drinks like what other distilleries seem to think is worth $100 . . . I feel like I may need to buy a few more. I've already bought four as gifts, but just have one left for myself.

Yeah, I always feel good when I buy a SA product and also feel a little like I over paid when I buy a WFE product. That said, I have enjoyed every bottle I have bought of either product. However, my more recent purchases have all been SA, primarily because of the similarities and lower price.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!